• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory about the assist trophies and planned characters

SmashBros50

Smash Apprentice
So, in an interview Sakurai stated that there were many planned characters at one point but some had to be cut, one of these almost being Bowser Jr. I think that the planned characters are now the assist trophies. Why? Well, the assist trophies in this game consist of popular, and wanted characters like Ghiriham or Takamaru. So, they may have been in the game as playable at one point, and their old move sets are now just moves the assist trophy uses. Also, now assist trophies can be damaged. This could mean at one point again, they were planned and the data for being hit, and eventually knocked out was in the characters data. For the characters that can't get hit like Tingle, Riki, and the Nintendog, they were probably already just assist trophies since they can't be attacked (and plus, who want want to hit a dog? Well then, Duck Hunt...) but, yeah. That's my theory on the cut characters and assist trophies.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I noticed a lot of the AT's were characters people actually wanted, Takamaru for me

Then what happened to Isaac is this is true? :p

Anyway, it probably is true. I remember during Brawl's development, Assist Trophies were described as popular guest charaters showing up as "the next best thing".

On Saki's Brawl Dojo page, it said something about him being insanely popular in Japan. There was also a picture with a caption saying that he fits in with the other fighters well.

SmashBros50

Smash Apprentice
Then what happened to Isaac is this is true? :p

Anyway, it probably is true. I remember during Brawl's development, Assist Trophies were described as popular guest charaters showing up as "the next best thing".

On Saki's Brawl Dojo page, it said something about him being insanely popular in Japan. There was also a picture with a caption saying that he fits in with the other fighters well.
Hopefully Isaac is DLC?

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I like the theory, but I would have to say no to it. There are so many assist trophys, and Nintendo wouldn't make movesets for that many characters before cutting them. Do you know how long it takes for one to be made?

I feel like when looking for characters, they do look through assist trophies for some ideas (example: Little Mac) and would love more assist trophy characters.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
So, in an interview Sakurai stated that there were many planned characters at one point but some had to be cut, one of these almost being Bowser Jr. I think that the planned characters are now the assist trophies. Why? Well, the assist trophies in this game consist of popular, and wanted characters like Ghiriham or Takamaru. So, they may have been in the game as playable at one point, and their old move sets are now just moves the assist trophy uses. Also, now assist trophies can be damaged. This could mean at one point again, they were planned and the data for being hit, and eventually knocked out was in the characters data. For the characters that can't get hit like Tingle, Riki, and the Nintendog, they were probably already just assist trophies since they can't be attacked (and plus, who want want to hit a dog? Well then, Duck Hunt...) but, yeah. That's my theory on the cut characters and assist trophies.
I would have killed to be able to play Dark Samus if he used moves like his assist trophy has and wasn't much of a clone.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I actually hope that Bowser Jr was cut....damn it....

D

Deleted member 269706

I like the theory, but I would have to say no to it. There are so many assist trophys, and Nintendo wouldn't make movesets for that many characters before cutting them. Do you know how long it takes for one to be made?

I feel like when looking for characters, they do look through assist trophies for some ideas (example: Little Mac) and would love more assist trophy characters.
I think that the theory is true to an extent. Maybe not for EVERY assist trophy, but definitely some of them. I mean, have you seen some of the models for some of those assist trophies? They're just as detailed as the regular fighters, whereas some of the other assist trophies seem a little less perfected. But for certain characters like Waluigi, Ghiriham or Takamaru, there's a chance that they were being considered at one point...they devs could very well have cut the characters from being playable, but used the original resources to create something else. In this case, assist trophies. I don't think they had move-sets at the time of being cut (they'd probably be cut before they were given move-sets), but I'm sure the ideas for said move-sets would be implemented into the trophies actions.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I think that the theory is true to an extent. Maybe not for EVERY assist trophy, but definitely some of them. I mean, have you seen some of the models for some of those assist trophies? They're just as detailed as the regular fighters, whereas some of the other assist trophies seem a little less perfected. But for certain characters like Waluigi, Ghiriham or Takamaru, there's a chance that they were being considered at one point...they devs could very well have cut the characters from being playable, but used the original resources to create something else. In this case, assist trophies. I don't think they had move-sets at the time of being cut (they'd probably be cut before they were given move-sets), but I'm sure the ideas for said move-sets would be implemented into the trophies actions.
Yes, some of them could have definitely been cut, but the all the assist trophies is not possible.

AppleCracker

Smash Apprentice
I believe this is true to some extent. Because I don't think nintendog and the pac man ghosts were planned...

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
I wonder if people would have hated on Dark Samus as much as Dark Pit...

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Dude, Bowser Jr is awesome.
I disagree but hey, every has their own fav and their unfav character. Bowser Jr is awesome, but I just don't like him since he is roster wasting and unnecessary to me. And too fan based since there was many request of him in Smash, it just feels.....sick.....
Dude, he is Mario.
It's-a-me! Mario! Ya-hoo! And I don't like Bowser Jr! (JK)~~~
Your profile avatar is Waddledee and your name is Chandelure?
No offense.....

Last edited:

3DSplayer

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArcanineTrainer
I do think some, but not all assist trophies were probably on the list for considered characters. Takamaru might have been the "retro character" along or before duck hunt, and Isaac and Little Mac probably were on Brawl's list. (Seriously, the Psynergy actually really works as a smash moveset now that I think about it)

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
Dark samus would have a new move set, and metroid i way more popular, successful, and bigger then kid icarus.
As someone who Kid Icarus: Uprising is their favorite game of all time... that broke my heart </3 :4darkpit::4palutena::4pit:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I wish Bowser Jr. was cut and replaced him with Saki, Issac or even Lyndis... Oh well.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I don't think this theory is even close to the truth. The only characters that were considered but didn't make the cut, that we know about, were the Ice Climbers, and perhaps Chrom. However, there's no proof Sakurai ever did more than mentally consider Chrom. It's not likely Chrom even made it past the planning stage, considering how much TLC was put into Robin.

Also, Sakurai has said that he no longer obsesses over character inclusions beyond a certain level. His roster was picked from the very start; in 2012, I believe. Considerations were made, but nearly all the Brawl and Melee characters are back, in addition to a boatload of newcomers. Excepting obscure one-off characters, all the major Nintendo characters are already in the game, and most of the well-known sidekicks, villains, love interests, etc., are as well.

I think several of the assist trophy characters could have been considered on paper in 2012, but that's likely as far as they came. Bowser Jr. almost got cut, and Ice Climbers didn't make it. It doesn't sound like they had enough time to be fooling around with tons of additional characters with low priorities, if we lost one and nearly lost two.

To say nothing of Lucas or Wolf. Who knows how far they went. If you consider Charizard the spiritual successor to Pokemon Trainer, those are the only other Nintendo Brawl characters that didn't make it back. Sakurai said a while back that he hadn't cut anyone yet. Was that just a lie? Did he mean cut from Brawl, or cut from his Smash 4 master list of picks? We don't know.

If we ever get even one more character than Mewtwo, the only ones I think are likely to make the cut are the Ice Climbers. They already have near-complete data for them, as well as character models. They deserve the spot, I feel, over just about anyone else. That said, however, the difficulty in getting them to work on the 3DS and 8-player Smash might still be too great if the character isn't redone as a solo character of some kind... and seeing as how Ice Climber is an as-yet dead IP, anything beyond Mewtwo, if it ever happens, might just be a fresh face.

They're not going to "promote" a character like Ghirahim who's already in the game, that's for sure. Isaac? Possible but very unlikely, I feel.

Last edited:

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
What's with all of this hate towards Bowser Jr. people wanted him since Brawl, and about the theory I can see it being true just because of Dark Samus and Takamaru. They should have be playable

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
"I wanted [character] so it must be true that they were a playable character at some point." - this thread

SmashBros50

Smash Apprentice
"I wanted [character] so it must be true that they were a playable character at some point." - this thread
No, I said popular characters seem to be assist trophies, and tying into my theory, may have at one point been planned. Nobody even mentioned wanted characters, just popular assist trophies, which some they wanted playable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom