• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Their at my mercy! Now what?(Throw question)

COM7

Smash Rookie
Hey, I've been lurking around the character and tactics boards for a while, just kinda taking info off here and using it in my Zelda/Shiek game but I decided it was about time to actually INTERACT.
Anyways, I've been dedicated to Zelda since Melee, starting with Shiek then switching to Zelda because I heard about her lightning kicks and then staying with it for a long time and not until Brawl have I even seriously picked up Shiek for a joint-maining(there isn't any rules against it). One major set back for me has always been using her throws. Often I forgot to shield grab and when I do I kinda pull a deer in headlights thing and Bthrow them on the spot, mostly out of fear of having them escape by grab and countering. Now I do the same just with the Fthrow.

I don't get a lot of chances to play brawl outside at friend's houses and at my dad's house 2 weekends a month usually so I don't get a lot of chances to practice but I NEED to keep up with my friends' abilities, which I BEARLY manage to do in my play style and I'm sure being able to more fluently throw in some 3 damage grab attacks leading to a 10-12 damage throw could help.

But now I'm actually trying to UTILIZE my throws in my Zelda game(and Shiek too but thats a topic for the Shiek board although advise on that would be nice too since I'm sure quite a lot of you use Shiek too) so I have a few questions;

1) Whats the formula for how many grab attacks you can squeeze into a grab and still throw, in melee it was 2 hits+1 per every 20% they had iirc, what is it in brawl?

2) In what situations should I use what throws, it seems you can chase a character with Din's after the Fthrow and I hear the Dthrow sets up well for a Bair but I'm not sure when to use these tatics or the other throws for that matter.

3) Finally, how do I set up well for a grab? Shield grabbing is the obvious most common method but how else would i set up, I'm guessing I could use it after a Dtilt or Nayru's but I'm not really sure. Some throw openers would be nice.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
A few things to help you out..

#1 If you dash grab you will not be able to get as many hits in ..
The percentages vary a lot.. but it's around 35 dmg for 2 hits and 85 dmg for 3 w/ a standing grab

A Down throw can actually chain into another down throw if they don't DI properly
I love doing this, because it really pisses off the opponent especially if you get shocks in both times lol

As for throws.. it is actually more effective with zelda to spam DTILT most of the time.
It does more damage, and still leads into more powerful attacks.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
D-throw to U-smash racks up a quick 20-30 damage plus it sets up for an U-air but you have to keep an eye on how they DI or it might not work. Its amazing when you get it.

COM7

Smash Rookie
Well, it seems that redoubtably the Fthrow and Dthrow are the most recommended but anyway to utilize the other two throws?
Uthrow>Uair sounds NICE but I think theres too much knockback on the uThrow to follow up well and I can't think of any instance i could do Uthrow>Usmash/Utilt. Nair's just generally weak with no knockback besides, could Zelda's jumps pursue fast enough?
And the Bthrow, could you follow up with a SH Bair at low percents and at higher ones turn and use Din's?
also could you combo DThrow into a downword ftilt or would the knockback be too much?

Thanks for the advise everyone!

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
I mostly play online and I usually use grabs when a) Kirby uses that freaking rock move. I could use a f-mash instead, but my timing is really off due to input lag. I'm better with grabbing. b) When someone uses a counter move.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
I mostly play online and I usually use grabs when a) Kirby uses that freaking rock move. I could use a f-mash instead, but my timing is really off due to input lag. I'm better with grabbing. b) When someone uses a counter move.
In 1v1, the true point of using grabs (besides punishment) is to recharge your moves.
Each grab attack counts as a separate attack, and you can use these to clear the attack queue and allieviate any diminished knockback your other moves may be suffering.

In 2v2 or FFA, the different grabs are also used to combo opponents off the other players.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
1) I have no clue. I usually go for one if they're ~40-100% and two if they're higher. I know I can get more, but I'm not greedy (and I want the throw to get them away from me).

2) For me, I use the down throw the most because it's the easiest to pressure afterwards (and possibly get in another hit if they do something silly).

The back throw is my second favorite because as a campy, defensive Zelda my back is often towards the edge of the stage (setting up edgeguards).

The forward throw I use mostly when I just want to damage them (since to me it seems like it does the most damage and it still gets them away from me).

The up throw I rarely use because u-air is laggy and I can't Din's straight up (again I'm campy).

3) For me, besides shield grabbing, I often get people with running grabs as they're landing in front of me or just standing there. It's probably due to the fact that I dash attack way more than I should (so they're probably trying to shield grab me, since it works so well on the dash attack).

Top Bottom