• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Zone" discussion thread. What is it and how do we "enter" it more easily?

Shamuu

Smash Rookie
Hey! I'm Shamuu, I've been playing melee for a few months now, and I've heard this term called "The Zone" being talked about a lot. I scrolled through the threads shorty after making this account and saw there was no place to discuss this topic, so I thought why not just make one?!

What exactly is this Zone? I personally view it as a state of pure focus within the game. I find myself to be at my best when I don't allow any outside distractions to interfere with my gameplay, be it loud cheers in the venue or me simply internally telling myself something like "oh my god why did you just get hit by that you scrub?" I found that how I deal with these distractions greatly contributes to how well I play the game. Outside noises are fairly easy to tune out, plugging in some headphones and listening to my favorite jams is an easy fix. What I really have had trouble with in the past is ignoring self doubt mid-match. It has been something that has greatly hindered my progress as a player in the past, but once I changed my mindset and developed a much more "self-forgiving" attitude mid-match, I started improving much more quickly and became incredibly more focused whenever I picked up my controller.

A good friend of mine known in the Project M community as Steel Kangaroo told me to read a book called "The Inner Game of Tennis" after telling him that I had been finding it hard to focus. One day while I was taking the train home I decided to listen to a summary of the book on youtube (I'll link it at the end of this post.) There was something the narrator addressed that greatly stood out to me. In short, the more we judge and dwell on what we do in-game as "good" or "bad" the more distracted we become, thus disallowing ourselves to enter The Zone and hindering our ability as players. Don't get me wrong, it's VERY important to differentiate a "good" option from a "bad" one, but in the moment it's very easy to become emotional about what options we choose. Instead of beating myself up over a "bad" option, I try to recognize that I made a mistake, take note of it, and instead of pursuing the thought any further I let it go and try my best to react accordingly with this new information that was sprouted from my mistake.

Have any of you come to any revelations like this in the past? I think it would be beneficial to all of us (as well as being a lot of fun) to share our experiences and thoughts on this mysterious Zone! What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUdTxXkecr8 (the video I was talking about earlier, I highly suggest you watch it!)

Steel Kangaroo

Smash Ace
Okay so I've been reading some of the resources for "flow state" that have been tossed around and I came across some interesting passages. One really interesting part in the "requirements for flow" is that the task must be challenging, but you also must believe/have the skills to overcome that challenge. This suggests that you will more easily enter flow state when playing matches where you are challenged. Meditation and focusing on your capacity as a player and the knowledge that you can beat this person if you try your hardest are important in this case. This is probably where negative/self defeating thoughts enter as a barrier to attaining flow state. Try to re frame (look up cognitive reframing--it's a common CBT/therapeutic technique in psychology) your opponents combos and momentum as some sort of proof that the match will be tough and you have to play your best, rather than proof that they will beat you.

"If challenges are too low, one gets back to flow by increasing them. If challenges are too great, one can return to the flow state by learning new skills."

This passage stuck out to me a lot. Basically find better players, constantly improve, and recognize that when you're becoming anxious (high difficulty, low skill) when playing that means you need to focus on improving your own skill relative to your opponent. Practicing and warmup for tournament should focus on remaining in a high skill, medium to high difficulty setting...which will give you at minimum "control" and at best "flow". Additionally I find meditation really helpful to remain in flow once attained. Thinking "yes, I'm flowing right now. I'm playing super well!" is antithetical to the true meaning of flow and this is where "Inner Game of Tennis" is focused. Flow is the absence of any thought beyond task relevant adjustments, most of which can be accomplished subconsciously rather than consciously.

Top Bottom