• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Zen of Smash 4: How to Train Effectively(Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anomalous Adam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Anomalous_Adam
3DS FC
2020-0165-2865
Warning Received
Originally, this was a series of Skype messages, but I've decided to make a thread out of this just for ****s and giggles. Don't take it too seriously, it's halfway between a joke and some of my training techniques but maybe some of you will get something out of it.

I'm too lazy to write more then this but if enough people like it, I have many more suggestions and ideas.

----------------------

I find that one of the best ways to train and learn a character is to fight under special conditions with specific goals in mind. For example in the demo, one of my training techniques has been to pocket every projectile against link and mega man and win a match using only reflected projectiles. Playing with special conditions and always changing it helped keep me from getting bored and burnt out. The demo doesn't give you many conditions to work with: You have to make your own.

Also, I'd practice using only a single move until I knew the exact way it worked, the range, the afterlag, how an opponent may react to it and what I should do about it, the precise time to use it, the damage, if it had a sweet spot, etc. and do this for all the moves until every move is perfected. I used the sandbag training mode in the demo to test moves.

After I figured out each move individually I'd figure out how every individual move works in conjunction such as combos, how to mix up attacks, etc. and I would just learn as I go when playing with people. If I saw something I liked I'd do it a second or third time and see if I got similar results and then keep a mental log of what works and doesn't.

After that, I forced myself to play against level 9 CPU's until I could take 2 stocks from one without getting hit once throughout the match. If I got hit, I redid it until I could win a match without getting hit. The boredom was my punishment and satisfying my goal was my reward: that's the whole basis for operant conditioning and the same way animals have been conditioned to behave in certain ways.

It doesn't matter even if only 10% of your attacks connect, as long as only 5% of theirs connects you'll win. Always play as if you were playing in a tournament and you'll always play well in tournaments.

But most importantly, don't be afraid to innovate and view the game from unusual angles. Meditate, go on a hike, maybe drop some LSD, and have at it. You'd be surprised just how much a fresh perspective can improve your gameplay. Never stop asking the questions "Why?" and "What else?" the unexamined brawl metagame is not worth playing.

--------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom