• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Yo-yo Glitch: Cracked. (Update: FAQ now in first post)

VilNess

Smash Champion
Whoa thanks SuperD.MAN! as always :D

I actually had to read it more times because it was pretty hard to understand but because there seems to be 6-frame margin for errors it kinda helps to not screw up leaving the trap"spherel"

dan smith

Smash Champion
The amazing things a man can do with a little bit of free time and AR.

SDM is pro. Bringing life to a dead topic.

Lt. Killjoy

Smash Ace
At one point I had the yo-yo glitch down quite well. Then I stopped using it for a while, and now I can't even do it. This sucks. I need to practice that move quite a bit.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Okay here´s something I´ve discovered but it is still something that needs more accurate info.

When you lay a trapsphere and if your enemy throws a projectile into it, you (Ness) seem to shake a bit and the projectile clanks with the trap.
However, this does NOT take away the trap-sphere! for some reason I wasn´t able to throw another projectile into the trap but the ability to Recall was still available!

some projectiles we tested were pills, eggs, thunderjolts etc. but projectiles like bowser flame doesn´t seem to hit the trap-sphere any way.

I really believe with practise someone could get YYG down to his game. I mean in the end, there actually isn´t any 100% accurate setup for any move! if you want to even like grab some enemy you have (to at least try) to make sure they won´t WD away from you/sidestep/use some quick attack.
You need to put your enemy in a position where grabbing seems to be more "possible".
This is a pretty extreme example. yoyo takes 12 frames which is like 5 frames more than most chars. grabbing startup lag is(, or the same as Zelda has). It just takes a bit more mindgames to put your enemy into a position where he won´t be able to react in 12 frames. Maybe that wasn´t the best way to put it but you get the idea.

On a side note about YYG. We did one of the funniest things with YYG and Yoshi in FD.
I layed a trap, then Yoshi put on his lightshield. Then I used PK flash on him while he was in his lightshield. It was really funny:
at first Yoshi started moving REALLY fast due to his uniqe LS and the big knockback of Flash. THen just suddenly his trip stopped in the trap-sphere. :D looked hella weird.

matta-from-subid

Smash Apprentice
Vilness forgot to tell you a little thing:

when ness is making a strike (for example: PK flash) and something hits the trap-sphere, ness stops doing the attak because of the shake. (we examined it long ago whit PK fire hitting the trap-sphere and ness doing PK flash(2 ness's in the arena))

ps. sorry my bad english :D

edit: hmm... I just thought that what happens when ness has done the PK thunder 2 and a projectile hits the trap-spere? could ness do another PK thunder 2?

ps2. i have a theory that projectiles hit the trap-sphere every second time, but i'm not sure about it.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
what you said about ness "shaking" does work to stop lag on things like pkthunder(altho u lose control of it), but since pkthunder2 actually moves the trapbox and becomes pkthunder2 itself(not a lot of things clank with this), it would be very very hard to pull that off if it could be done at all.

...prolly can be done...and if it was pulled off....wow

VilNess

Smash Champion
In PAL the thunder also dissapears :(

What was HAL thinking when tehy removed the thunder possibility when being hit? Lame...

Okay more info about using projectiles on trap-sphere.
It seems that first time hitting a proj. on trap is quite easy. Then we might succeed in it another time. The good news is that projectiles (well pills at least) will not take the sphere completely away! Your enemy can still hit the trap or you can use recall.

btw: here´s something you could actually do in real match with stronger hit.
YYG enemy with strong hit hopefully so your enemy is in the middle or near to middle of stage (like FD). Then just start running towards the edge of stage (or WD if you prefer that) and wait for your enemys possible tech -> If they go to the positition where they have to tech then they´re screwed because you can just grab them and ftrhow at lower % and bthrow at higher % (remember to turn around).
Very good against Doc, Ganon and mario too... Fastfallers possibly too and maybe some others.
Even though we were just exploring the YYG I got a 22% KO on Doc at FD. could work on a real match, everythings possible! :)

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion

ok let me just say that the YYG will never, repeat, NEVER work in a real match. the only possible way i see anyone pulling it if someones sheild got broken or jiggs fell asleep and even then you will only catch the people that dont know about i with it. it makes me wanna vomit everytime i see "YYG is 1337!!!1!1!!11!", come on guys be realistic your gonna set your whole game up around trying to set people up for the YYG? ness is better than that, if you can set up a fully charged upsmash and make it connect than in retrospect that could have been a fully charged fsmash which owns alot harder.

but keep trying to do the YYG in tourneys and stuff, then ness will have an excuse for why he sucks:chuckle: . (why is the animated chuckle green but the still one yellow?)

VilNess

Smash Champion
Tipman: you don´t really think that?
You are too close minded. Nothing personal, just about your opinion.

The fact that I actually pulled YYG in the first tourney I went EVEN THOUGH I DIDN`T KNOW ABOUT IT already makes your statement not something readworthy.

Now adays I can actually pull it off about once per match (3-stock matches) and I´m being honest. And this is against my bro Matta who knows EXACTLY how it works.
I mean if Zelda can get grabs (12 frames) why COULDN`T NESS get YYG`s (12 frames too) ????!!?? then thing that helps grab is that they go through shields but here´s a tip for the man for mindgames (no pun intented).
Upsmash is already a good move on it´s own! if your enemys rolls behind you you can hit them with the later part of the yoyo that sets up for a bair very nicely against midfallers-floaty. and if they shield and you are close to edge you can just keep charging it. the might release their shield too early or you might shield-stab them (TAKE THAT YOU PEACH!)
Yes there are risks evolved in it but I actually use upsmash pretty much in normal battle ( I play against Luigi a lot that can explain a bit too) and even though I don´t pull off YYG everytime I still hit with some part of the yoyo but of course I get punished sometimes too. No move is perfect anyway...

and if you didn´t already understand I always go for the strong hit for the YYG. I think the weak hit is a bit useless except edgeguarding if that´s what ya meant, Tipman.

I btw. Usually go for a grab after YYG or bair, those seem to be the best options.

Here´s my opinion about some chars that YYG is a good option to go against.
Bowser: he´s a bit slow and if you can trick him using a slow move then you should be able to YYG him.

DK: a bit like Bowser, except for some reason I can´t usually be able to pull off YYG on him at lower % because he sucks so many hits. Maybe this has something to ddo with NESSBOUNDERS %-strats he posted earlier.

Ganondorf: trick him to do a roll or some B-move. another good what NESSBOUNDER said earlier is that you can sidestep his aerial approach, like dair, and YYG him after that. I haven´t tried that but I can see that it could work.

Peach: She doesn´t too much range and some Peach get very obsessed with their ground/float game so you can try like WD back from dashattack and YYG her. the upsmash is already a pretty good move against her because it sets up for aerials. also shorthop fair to upsmash can work too. Even though Peach can float she´s still a bit slow in air so there is a possibility to strong hit her up and "recallbair" her for example. Just like I did against Luigi :D

Marth: Marth can be a bit harder due to because it´s harder to get in his range and get 12 frames time. It is possible though if you trick him to do a roll or after a missed fsmash. He still good target for it because he´s clumsy in air and if you get a YYG on him you should be able to start edgegaurding him from a recall grab or bair.

Samus: a bit clumsy and very floaty which makes her very goiod target for YYG. her grab is slow so remember that because using upsmash against her is safer whether or not you succeed at YYG.

there are more too like luigi and kirby but those should give you an idea about how YYG can be pulled off.

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
Originally posted by VilNess
I mean if Zelda can get grabs (12 frames) why COULDN`T NESS get YYG`s (12 frames too) ????!!??
12 frames? dont you have to fully charge the upsmash, if not sorry for the mistake but i stillt hink YYG wont make ness great (or benefit him much), once the YYG is done all you gotta do is stay on the correct side of the hitbox and the glitch fails (all ness could do is use his B moves in which are some great). unless you glitch someone by the ledge you will have a hard time finding someone to fall for it. also simply running into it just nullifies any chance of using the hitbox.

personally i think the YYG is too situational for it to be really effective, though across the stage grabs and bairs are crazy good i have yet to seen it be utilized.

though if there is any vids of real matches where the YYG is used tell me the name so i can see whats up with this. though i really have a hard time believing someone would actually fall for this, just my opinion.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Simna what the heck is with the new avatar?? :p

Yes tipman, it is situational... but as I described it, many times you still hit "some kind" of yoyo hit and it is pretty safe against midfallers at mid-high % and against floaties it´s always nice.
I´m not sure about fastfallers since even though they have horrbile reaction time upsmash rarely sets up for anything against them... but I think they have still hard time punishing just as long as you don´t use it too much at lower %. fastfallers besides challenge your speed game so it´s kinda hard to yoyo them anyway. but mindgames are still allowed :D

I think the upsmash should become a staple for any serious Ness players. I probably should record some vids on how I use time to time in real battle, that and my chain-trhow on marth :demon:

..and it definetly helps Ness already pretty good KO-potential.

edit: and definetly people fall for this. They just have TOO MUCH to concentrate on when you have hit them up with the strong hit: they have to worry about Ness´sick aerial mobility and not getting in "death-line" and some possible PK thunder juggling for floaties. If you succeed pulling one near the ledge and knock them up it´s even worse. you can WD backwards to other side of stage and go for a grab to bthrow. If they see this they might try to detach the trap-sphere but you still can get them in death-line for ex. an aerial. besides if yer near them and they decide to walk on the trap they get knocked up a bit and you can start a combo from there.

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
and definetly people fall for this. They just have TOO MUCH to concentrate on.
I totally agree on this. How do you think it is possible that people get hit so much by attacks such as Doc's fair or almost any dair? These attacks may be slow, but people still connect with them. MINDGAMES.

I remember seeing a vid of Isai vs. MoFo from some tourney. The match was incredibly fast, with MoFo mainly hitting with Fox' dair and Isai mainly hitting with Falcon's nair. Crazy DD and WD by both players... and suddenly Isai hits MoFo with Falcon's slow fsmash. You wouldn't think it's possible, especially when you know how fast these people play.

The point I was trying to make was that you can connect even with slower attacks as long as you are smart enough. As VilNess said, the fact that the opponent has to worry about lots of things in the YYG makes it useful. You definitely CAN use it to your advantage in a "real" match. Situational, but so are lots of moves in this game. Sorry for going semi off topic here.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Haha Yeah!

Whenever WMK opens his mouth you can except something else than bullsh*t. :D
I gotta learn that too.

Yeah it´s a delight to see whenever some pulls off one of those slower moves in the heat of the battle.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Originally posted by Simna ibn Sind
*snicker* ^_^
Look at me quoting myself!

For those who didn't catch on: I posted that because what Tipman said is not correct. I'm not gonna explain anything more. Mofo is working on a yyg vid, so you will know what I'm talking about whenever that comes out(or maybe you can pry it out of Mofo...but I won't tell^_^)

dan smith

Smash Champion
As wonderful as theories and conjecture are...example is always the best way to prove something.

I have used YYG a few times on good players. This proves it is possible. People really don't have enough time to think when in the middle of a heated match...it's easy to fall for tricks like the YYG.

Will it win matches?...eh...

I don't really play with it much anymore, it's too much of a hassle...but it is definately usable...if only occasionally.

I still drop trapboxes everyonce and a while. I have comfertably come to the conclusion that the best use for the YYG is setting up combos with trapbox hits.

I am always open to being wrong though.

NessExclusively

Smash Apprentice
I didn't read through all 11 pages to find an answer to this question, but I read how to do the glitch, but it seems to me that instead of doing this glitch, there are other things that you could do, like if there in front of you to get hit by the first hit of the yo-yo than couldn't you just bat them? Of course I guess if they do a strong gaurd it leaves a little bit of there feet open where the yoyo could still connect, but still, plz I'm asking why would you do this glitch other than for the sake of exploiting a glitch in the game?

VilNess

Smash Champion
You do this because if they know you did they are in VERY sticky situation as I described earlier. My bros fall for the glitch too even though they know 80% of the time when I pulled one off.

I have loads of examples proving it works in a real match.

I actually use upsmash quite often for reasons I mentioned above. Simply put: I win more than get punished with upsmash whether I succeed at YYG or not.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Batting is a comittment.

UpSmash has its moments.

The glitch allows you to hit with a short ranged powerful move from a great distance.

Handy.

VilNess

Smash Champion
galeon: it´s just in the end about practising it. At first i couldn´t do it even 50% of the time. now I think i can do it 80% of the time (when I connect off course)

btw: Has anyone else YYG:d with downsmash? Because I did. i don´t remember exactly how I did it but I think it had something to do with hitting with a weak part when yer supposed to do a double hit with dsmash. this was when I had the yoyo charged for awhile.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
btw: Has anyone else YYG:d with downsmash? Because I did. i don´t remember exactly how I did it but I think it had something to do with hitting with a weak part when yer supposed to do a double hit with dsmash. this was when I had the yoyo charged for awhile.
hehehehe^_^

VilNess

Smash Champion
You know it´s really hard to do, please tell me when you know how to do it, since I only did it by accident (edgeguard luigi at higher %´s some sort of back hit, and I charged it for awhile)

the only good thing was that the trap spheres knockback was greater (I not 100% sure)

VilNess

Smash Champion
I hope you don´t mind, Simna, for posting already about this here, but man that "PK thunderblast uniform" RULES!

Touch Ness and you´ll die :beezo:

this could almost be banned... well I hope not

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
What is this I'm hearing about?
"PK thunderblast uniform"?

Please, please, inform.

PMs work :D

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Come now, Thomas.^_^ Enthusiasm is a bicycle, not a crutch. How long do you think it would take to make discoveries on this topic if we weren't all contributing to the each other's findings?

Don't confuse our enthusiasm with disregard.^_^

Lt. Killjoy

Smash Ace
Hey, Simna, when is this new vid coming out? I mean, I'm sittin here waiting for this video that you've been talking about for months now and I'm freakin out! I have to see this ****. Help me out man.

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
sorry if that sounded bad. now that i read it, it sounds worst than i meant. i was just saying that ness has mad glitches and im pretty sure he is definetly the glitchiest char. also i think i know what vilness is talking about with that "touch ness and you die" thing. but ill stay quiet about that till the vid (not because im keeping it a secret but because im probably wrong and will sound like a dumbas5:D ).

oh and for that vid why dont you have ness do the yo yo glitch on the other ness who has that "touch ness and you die" thing. jush have him grab him....think it would work?

VilNess

Smash Champion
You know what? We actaully did two YYG´s in Ness ditto (practise match) I made a YYG to him (bro) and he did the same thing.
Next I equipped the thunderblast uniform (does this sound a bit cheesy :p ) and he YYG grabbed me.
the result was hilarious!

Tipman: if you have PM´d Simna I think you´ll know what is this touch&die thingy if you aren´t sure.

Enthusiasm rules yeah!

dan smith

Smash Champion
How many times have you done the touch and die?

...and people shouldn't get too excited...I remember when we first saw the teleportation glitch...and we still don't know how to do that.

By the way, I suggest the name: "Wrath Of Gawd"

With the thunder and all...

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
I don't have any info on the release date of mofo's vid. All I know is that it is in progress.

If its not something that lies in the manipulation of single frames then I'm sure we can figure it out no matter what it is. We may not know exactly how the teleport works now, but we will later...and we already know how the 'vid techniques' work; we simply need to watch the vid when it comes out, talk with each other as we have been, and practice again and again.

I have to warn everyone here tho that the vid is mainly going to be showing off to non Ness players who don't visit this section, so you will see a bunch of things you already know about mxed in with the new stuff.

When the kind of organization we have here in the ness section spreads to each of the other characters then the growth rate of knowledge of this game will be enormous.

dan smith

Smash Champion
I don't care what's in the video...when Simna's video came out I suddenly got a bunch of attention. I enjoy getting acknowledgement for other peoples work...haha...

I wonder if he will also put my name in the credits...haha...

I will most definately download it! Ever since this whole mess of a discovery began I have wanted a truly great player to work with the YYG. Mofo is a pretty good smasher...his technial proficiency with Fox is definately an amount of skill I don't have.

I don't know about what you say though Simna...I doubt us Ness players will ever be teleporting at will. I still don't think we will ever master the YYG well enough to use it often and to any great ends. I'm probably not that good at the YYG compared to most of the people in this thread though.

I don't adapt to new changes very well either though...I have my playing style and it's hard for me to do something different. I just trust in the power of sparkles and hope for an opponent who dosen't know **** about Ness.

Fuzzy Pickles...

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
If PK thunder jacket is what I'm imagining it to be, then I'm excited!

Oh, and I can do the Yo-yo glitch out of a shield. Go to my Ness guide and check it out. It's in the easter egg section on the first page.

Top Bottom