• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Wrestling Thread

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
You know, that does make me think about something... I'm thinking WWE feels like they have to bring legitimacy to the U.S. Title (because lets face it, the U.S. Championship is a joke).

They've spent a year building Rusev to be this unbeatable powerhouse and I don't think WWE will be stupid enough to make the same mistake they made with Umaga (in that they had him undefeated for an inexplicable amount of time until Cena beats him, then Umaga is relegated to being even more of a joke).

I think Rusev wins at Wrestlemania in an attempt to make the U.S. Title legitimate (because beating Cena I guess means you're doing something right), as well as further building Rusev's career.

And think about this... If Rusev does win, could you endure a summer-long feud between Reigns and Rusev? I bet Vince has wet dreams about Rusev/Reigns at Summerslam.
Remember back when we had super epic matches for the IC title and the US title? Those were the days.

Personally, I'm hoping Rusev wins, because I know for a fact that if he jobs to Cena, there goes his career. WWE has had a bad habit of wasting legitimately good talent. I'm still salty about Ziggler not being as relevant as he should be.

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
Remember back when we had super epic matches for the IC title and the US title? Those were the days.

Personally, I'm hoping Rusev wins, because I know for a fact that if he jobs to Cena, there goes his career. WWE has had a bad habit of wasting legitimately good talent. I'm still salty about Ziggler not being as relevant as he should be.
Yeah, Umaga was a prime example of a person whose career plummeted after the loss. Not a legitimately good talent, but still, he was built up all that time just to be plowed and then scrapped. One person who I thought had talent but was used horribly was Ken Kennedy. He had the charisma and a pretty good arsenal of moves... but he never got off the ground in WWE outside of winning Money in the Bank at WM23 (which I saw live at Ford Field and was very happy about the result, unlike a lot of the card for that WM) and one U.S. Title.

I think the ladder match at Wrestlemania is going to be great for Ziggler though, as well as the IC Title. There should be a healthy amount of spots. I don't get the whole R-Truth being in the match though. That boggles me.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Doesn't he always have wet dreams? It's a no brainer he likes beefy muscle penises over smaller, high flying penises

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't he always have wet dreams? It's a no brainer he likes beefy muscle penises over smaller, high flying penises
Yeah, that's for sure. I remember the various wrestlers in the past 10-11 years who have fit that bill of big and beefy. Snitsky... what a horribly funny career he had. Chris Masters... he actually could have had a successful career in the WWE if he just didn't juice and was able to maintain his physique. He had one of the cooler names for a signature move though. Bobby Lashley aka beefed up Wayne Brady... He had the look of a champion, but he never really displayed a lot of moves. They all pretty much were moves Goldberg and Lesnar (and only them) used.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
If it's all beef and power, I'd rather watch NXT. Trips knows how to please the wrestling fans by giving us something that's called WRASSLING!

...unlike Vince who pretty much lost his touch over the last few years along with the creative teams. They should bring back the World Heavyweight, Lightweight, Women's, and European championships to keep people going and go back to brands only shows to give the lowcard people a chance. Here's how I would've done it:

Raw: WWE, Intercontential, European, World Tag, Women's

Smackdown: World Heavyweight, US, Lightweight, WWE Tag, Diva's

Itr's so easy, Vince's daughter could do it

Last edited:

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
If it's all beef and power, I'd rather watch NXT. Trips knows how to please the wrestling fans by giving us something that's called WRASSLING!

...unlike Vince who pretty much lost his touch over the last few years along with the creative teams. They should bring back the World Heavyweight, Lightweight, Women's, and European championships to keep people going and go back to brands only shows to give the lowcard people a chance. Here's how I would've done it:

Raw: WWE, Intercontential, European, World Tag, Women's

Smackdown: World Heavyweight, US, Lightweight, WWE Tag, Diva's

Itr's so easy, Vince's daughter could do it
You know, splitting the brands again wouldn't be all that bad, but then you really go back to what I thought was a problem with WWE: They have too many damn titles and not enough quality superstars to hold them and maintain a competitive division. Especially the tag division.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
You know, splitting the brands again wouldn't be all that bad, but then you really go back to what I thought was a problem with WWE: They have too many damn titles and not enough quality superstars to hold them and maintain a competitive division. Especially the tag division.
I'm sure they can find something for the tag division like they have done with Morrison/Miz, Cesaro/Kidd, etc

I do agree with you though. It's a shame they got rid of the lightweight belt to give the smaller guys something to do. I wouldn't be surprised if D. Bry went to that division and got multiple title reigns like how they did with Mysterio

Rune40th

Smash Rookie
It's almost WrestleMania! What do you all think? Roman Reigns vs Brock Lesnar, Bray Wyatt vs Undertaker, and even Triple-H vs Sting! It's going to be off the hook.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
It's almost WrestleMania! What do you all think? Roman Reigns vs Brock Lesnar, Bray Wyatt vs Undertaker, and even Triple-H vs Sting! It's going to be off the hook.
Not really. This is the first WrestleMania in a long time where I'm not feeling it. Must be due to the internet where we just can't seem to be satisfied no matter what. I am interested in the Sting/HHH and ladder match, but that's just about it for some reason. Guess I'm willing to give it a shot as long as they don't **** it up....and they probably will

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Triple H vs. Sting is interesting, but it would have been better if they were in their prime, and they are both well past that point.

I'm not feeling Lesnar vs. Reigns. Honestly, they're giving Reigns too big a push, and Reigns' victory over Lesnar is as predictable as the outcome to Rock vs. Cena II. I don't believe Reigns is ready yet, and I'll probably be more satisfied if Lesnar wins, or if Rollins makes a ninja appearance to steal the title from Reigns.

Wyatt vs. Undertaker. I really want to be hype for that, but the fact is that Undertaker's appearance at Wrestlemania for years has been on the back of his streak. Since Lesnar broke the streak a year ago, what's there to look forward to? I'm sure the match itself will be good, but there's hardly a point now. It's just there to be there, and it will probably be Taker's final match, either winning on a high note, or losing to "pass the torch" to Wyatt.

On a whole, the card isn't anything to get me excited. I'll still watch it, since I have the WWE Network, but I'm not expecting this to be as hype as, say, Wrestlemania 17.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Vince please go.

And you're forgetting the match of the century: Our hero of the American People, the Marine, Johnathan Felix Cenus vs. the dirty commie foreigner, Rusev.

Rune40th

Smash Rookie
Crushermania1592: That's true which is why I block myself out from a lot of wrestling sites, places with dirt sheets and such. I just focus on the show and only visit select forums.

C.M. Gomez: You make some really good points. It would have sounded cooler to see HHH vs Sting in 1999 but on pure novelty it sounds like an interesting match. Wyatt and Taker though, that seems like a passing of the torch. You're right, they all can't be 17, 16, or even 14. Haha!

Old Man Grey: Oh of course! How can I remember. That's going to be one heck of a battle.

#DarkWing

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3067-7088-3304
Okay, this is how I see WrestleMania. Am I excited for it? No way! There might be some good matches and there are going to be some bad outcomes. But am I going to watch it? Yes. I love the company, I just don't like the current product. I am quite fond of NXT, myself. I watch Raw every now and again, but The Shield splitting was just too much. I want Roman to prosper and have a good year but his push is way too soon.

#DarkWing

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3067-7088-3304
Triple H vs. Sting is interesting, but it would have been better if they were in their prime, and they are both well past that point.

I'm not feeling Lesnar vs. Reigns. Honestly, they're giving Reigns too big a push, and Reigns' victory over Lesnar is as predictable as the outcome to Rock vs. Cena II. I don't believe Reigns is ready yet, and I'll probably be more satisfied if Lesnar wins, or if Rollins makes a ninja appearance to steal the title from Reigns.

Wyatt vs. Undertaker. I really want to be hype for that, but the fact is that Undertaker's appearance at Wrestlemania for years has been on the back of his streak. Since Lesnar broke the streak a year ago, what's there to look forward to? I'm sure the match itself will be good, but there's hardly a point now. It's just there to be there, and it will probably be Taker's final match, either winning on a high note, or losing to "pass the torch" to Wyatt.

On a whole, the card isn't anything to get me excited. I'll still watch it, since I have the WWE Network, but I'm not expecting this to be as hype as, say, Wrestlemania 17.
I definitely agree. It just feels like we can see the results coming from a mile away.

Also love the initials in your name, CM. :p

#DarkWing

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3067-7088-3304
Vince please go.

And you're forgetting the match of the century: Our hero of the American People, the Marine, Johnathan Felix Cenus vs. the dirty commie foreigner, Rusev.
And the Intercontinental Championship - Ladder Match!

I'm hyping for Dean.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So I'm watching Wrestlemania 19 for the main event. It makes me realize just how much I love Lesnar and Kurt Angle. Watching their match, I really wish there was a time machine for them to go back in time and redo that shooting star press. Otherwise, that match was perfect.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So I'm watching Wrestlemania 19 for the main event. It makes me realize just how much I love Lesnar and Kurt Angle. Watching their match, I really wish there was a time machine for them to go back in time and redo that shooting star press. Otherwise, that match was perfect.
Remember the time when Booker was heavily pushed and didn't win, went back to midcard, then came back to the world title picture about 3 years later?

Good times

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
Remember the time when Booker was heavily pushed and didn't win, went back to midcard, then came back to the world title picture about 3 years later?

Good times
He also had that neat stint with Rob Van Dam as tag team champions. I loved how the Scissors Kick seamlessly transitioned into the Five-Star Frog Splash.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
They ought to give more of their talents championship pushes. For example, Damien Sandow. I freakin' love Sandow, and would love to see him get a push. Also, remember when Santino was a big part of the Elimination Chamber a couple of years back, and everyone was hype for him lasting as long as he did? Man, they seriously need to use more of their other talents, and stop focusing on the super muscle bound meatheads (I still love Lesnar though).

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so I am pretty amped up for Wrestlemania.

I'll go match by match and give my amp meter rating and match outcome prediction:

Randy Orton vs Seth Rollins - Singles Match

I imagine this match will be fantastic. Orton always wrestles with vigor and intensity, he's willing to take bumps in a spot and he's good at getting the crowd to express emotion. Rollins is the same, if not, better than Orton at getting the fans to express emotion. He has no fear of doing spots, is willing to risk his body for the sake of making a name out of himself and is in my opinion the best wrestler in the company and in all of North American pro wrestling circuits. With all that said though, I'm disappointed in the buildup to this match, or the lack of buildup. Yeah, you had Orton fooling The Authority for a few weeks and then beating the crap out of Rollins for what he did to him late last year... but the reason Orton was out was to shoot a movie and when he was back, he was not being used. Maybe he used his vacation days... I don't know. But there could have been a lot more dialogue and action between the two to build up the hatred between the two. Regardless of the storyline buildup, the match itself should be great.

Amp Meter: 8/10 - Orton and Rollins in a match against each other alone is destined to be good. Having them in a match against each other at Wrestlemania makes it destined to be a great match.

Prediction: Randy Orton wins via pinfall

AJ Lee and Paige vs The Bella Twins - Tag Team Match

Okay, so for a portion of the year post-Wrestlemania 30, the creative team had it right with AJ Lee and Paige feuding with each other. Then for some reason they took Paige out of the title contention spotlight. Meanwhile, they began developing the Brie vs Nikki feud, which was expected for a little while. Once the feud ended, they had the whole 30 days Brie had to be Nikki's assistant. The end of that time came when Nikki won the Divas title, with Brie helping out her sister... huh? A month ago they hated each other. Before Summerslam, Nikki said she wished Brie died in the womb (and I still laugh at that). Now they're besties again? I don't get it, just like how I don't get putting the belt on Nikki was seen as a "good idea." Just like how I don't get AJ Lee helping out Paige. Those two feuded for a majority of the year and after taking some time off, AJ comes back to help Paige. I ask again, what? All in all, the buildup of this match just makes no sense. But the match itself could be good. And this is a big moment in the franchise's history for women. They need this match to go over well with the crowd and I think AJ Lee and Paige could have done that themselves.

Amp Meter: 4.69/10 - Confusing buildup with continuity errors and one of the teams are barely passable wrestlers. Paige however should get some recognition. She alone boosts the score.

Prediction: Paige and AJ Lee win via pinfall (I would be discontent if the Bella Twins won)

Rusev vs John Cena - United States Championship Match

Initially, I was disgusted by this. Rusev and Cena individually can't put on a good match. They need someone to carry them. Put them together and I would think that it's an unbearable match to watch. But sometimes matches like this can be good. Sometimes you need a match that looks ugly on paper so people can undervalue the match for what it really was at Mania. The buildup has been good. They've gotten people to cheer for Cena because he's defending America against the big, bad evil Russian who is actually Bulgarian. It was good that they had a match at Fast Lane. Otherwise, the match at Mania would be meh. Look for this match to be a highlight of Rusev's career and a turning point in Cena's career.

Amp Meter: 5/10 - It's Cena vs Umaga pt. 2! But unlike Cena vs Umaga, this match has the potential to either be a big hit or a big miss.

Prediction: Rusev wins via submission

The Undertaker vs Bray Wyatt - Singles Match

This makes me wish it was Taker from 15 years ago facing Wyatt. I'm glad Taker will be back for what I will assume to be the final match of his career, and there couldn't be a better opponent to go out facing than Bray Wyatt. It's pretty clear that this match is a "passing of the torch" match, with all of Wyatt's promos declaring himself the new face of fear. This was a match that was really TBD until the Royal Rumble, so there wasn't a whole lot of time to build up the feud, but for these two, time was never going to be an issue. Bray's promos alone have narrated the feud between him and Taker. The match itself should be interesting. I don't know how long Taker will be able to wrestle for, but again, with these two it doesn't matter. This will be more of a theatrics kind of match than anything.

Amp Meter: 7/10 - May be a little generous, but it's Taker. It's Wyatt. It'll be an entertaining match.

Prediction: Undertaker wins via pinfall

Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal

I can't really go into great depths about this, since there's so many people in the match. But I guess what you could look out for is Miz and Mizdow. I'm disappointed the writers didn't do more with the two leading up to Mania. Maybe they have future plans, but they definitely had the time to write the feud up. Then you have guys like Erik Rowan and Ryback who were relevant for a brief period, but are back to being treated like midcard wrestlers. An interesting one to watch: Goldust. He's set to retire shortly and should be taken into consideration as a "dark horse."

Amp Meter: 5/10 - I see it as a filler match. Nothing really gets me amped up about this other than it's a Battle Royal match, but it's never going to be like the Royal Rumble.

Prediction: Mizdow wins the Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal

Bad News Barrett vs Stardust vs R-Truth vs Daniel Bryan vs Dolph Ziggler vs Luke Harper vs Dean Ambrose
Ladder Match for the Intercontinental Championship

Dis gon b bananas. Seriously though... this sounds like a dream match. You've got a lot of wrestlers in that match with different styles of wrestling. Ambrose is a straight up brawler, Daniel Bryan is technical, Ziggler is finesse, R-Truth is extremely athletic, Stardust is kind of an all-around wrestler, Barrett is a mix between a brawler and grappler and Harper is just the sheer power wrestler. You add ladders in this match and you're bound to get a lot of crazy spots and mark out moments. I haven't been this excited for a Wrestlemania match since, well... the first Money In The Bank Ladder Match. The buildup has been good as well. Comical too.

Amp Meter: 9/10 - You have four wrestlers with bright futures in this match who would make great Intercontinental Champions. Add in their styles and ladders, and you've got one hotly anticipated match.

Prediction: Daniel Bryan wins the Intercontinental Championship
Additional Prediction: Ambrose turns heel on following RAW, setting up a summer-long feud between him and Bryan

Sting vs Triple H - Singles Match

My favorite wrestler of all time (Sting) finally makes his match debut and final match in the WWE at Wrestlemania and it's against HHH, my favorite heel of all time. I know everyone is saying how great this match would have been 10 years ago when Sting was 45 and not 55... but he can still wrestle. I was really disappointed though in the buildup to this. I get that Sting has a contract that allows him to not have to be on the road with the WWE, but they should have let him talk on the mic. I hope he has a soliloquy of some sort tonight, but I wouldn't count on it.

Amp Meter: 7/10 - Would have been 10/10 if Sting and HHH were in their prime, but the names themselves will almost guarantee that it'll be a good match.

Prediction: Sting wins via submission (I hope. SDL > SDD)

Brock Lesnar vs Roman Reigns - Singles Match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship

I really, really want to try and be excited about this, but I just can't. It's not because of Roman Reigns not being ready for something like this... it's because the match is going to be boring. Two wrestlers who have a similar philosophy of wrestling (power)... where have I seen this match before? Oh yeah, Wrestlemania 20 with Goldberg and Lesnar. Snooze fest. I loved Goldberg back then but even that couldn't save the match from utter boredom. I fear that's what this match is going to be like. The buildup has been good though. Heyman is a genius at promos and to his credit, he's found a way to build Reigns up into a character who faces doubt but has determination to overcome the doubt.

Amp Meter: 5/10 - WWE World Title match, but with two similar wrestling styles that are ground-based. Expect a lot of holds and snoring.

Prediction: Roman Reigns wins via pinfall

Seth Rollins vs Roman Reigns - Singles Match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship

Yes, I am predicting (almost guaranteeing) Seth Rollins will cash in his Money In The Bank contract. It makes sense. They already have the heel of the future in Rollins, but WWE needs to continue working on Reigns. A spring-summer feud likely is the outcome.

Prediction: Seth Rollins wins via pinfall

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I like your predictions, and now that you mention it, I am excited for the ladder match. Hell, I can't remember the last time I got excited over an Intercontinental Championship match! All in all, I pretty much agree with everything you've pointed out, though I'm still hoping Lesnar wins, just because I'm too much of a Lesnar fangirl. lol

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
I like your predictions, and now that you mention it, I am excited for the ladder match. Hell, I can't remember the last time I got excited over an Intercontinental Championship match! All in all, I pretty much agree with everything you've pointed out, though I'm still hoping Lesnar wins, just because I'm too much of a Lesnar fangirl. lol
Thanks! I think the Ladder Match is going to be the match of the night by a landslide, although I do worry about what could happen to Daniel Bryan if he takes a hard bump around the neck region from atop the ladder. That's the only major concern I have about the match. The Intercontinental Title needs this match for a long time. I hope Lesnar wins as well, but I wouldn't mind if Rollins cashed it in on him and won. Rollins is pretty much ready to be a World Heavyweight Champion.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Thanks! I think the Ladder Match is going to be the match of the night by a landslide, although I do worry about what could happen to Daniel Bryan if he takes a hard bump around the neck region from atop the ladder. That's the only major concern I have about the match. The Intercontinental Title needs this match for a long time.
Agreed. Maybe the reason Bryan haven't received the WWE title push is because of his injuries, especially with his neck in the condition it's in?
I hope Lesnar wins as well, but I wouldn't mind if Rollins cashed it in on him and won. Rollins is pretty much ready to be a World Heavyweight Champion.
As long as Lesnar beats Reigns, that's what matters. If Rollins successfully cashes in on Lesnar, then I'll be fine, since everyone (minus Cena) who cashed in their Money in the Bank contract has won, so it wouldn't be a surprise, what with Rollins being so hot now.

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
Agreed. Maybe the reason Bryan haven't received the WWE title push is because of his injuries, especially with his neck in the condition it's in?

As long as Lesnar beats Reigns, that's what matters. If Rollins successfully cashes in on Lesnar, then I'll be fine, since everyone (minus Cena) who cashed in their Money in the Bank contract has won, so it wouldn't be a surprise, what with Rollins being so hot now.
I haven't read anything that would indicate Bryan's neck is vulnerable to injury for this match. I think they want to let the title ride on Brock Lesnar's shoulder for as long as they can.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Prediction: Seth Rollins wins via pinfall
Are you actually predicting that Rollins will go over Roman "bbygurl" Reigns? Do you really belee dat? I await your reaction when cool sexy rebel badass 2.0 beats him with a Super Manpunch/Spear sixteen seconds into the match.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Are you actually predicting that Rollins will go over Roman "bbygurl" Reigns? Do you really belee dat? I await your reaction when cool sexy rebel badass 2.0 beats him with a Super Manpunch/Spear sixteen seconds into the match.
It'd make it the second unsuccessful cash-in, and the first unsuccessful cash-in on a tired, vulnerable champion.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
At this point, I'm all down for Rollins to cash in and win the title. Maybe have Reigns win the belt then lose via cash in would make the best point possible. Plus dat heel heat once Rollins cash in

...well maybe not considering he would get a huge pop since alot of people hate Reigns

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
Okay, you know what... you make a good point. No, I am not predicting that will happen. That was a poor choice of words. It's something I just hope happens because I don't think Reigns is ready to be a World Heavyweight Champion.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
It's somewhat funny how much we went nuts for him at RR last year and booed Batista. Now, he's Batista for this year's RR and him in the ME at WrestleMania would be kinda funny. I'm predicting that Sting/HHH would be the ME but that's me

You gotta admit that Paige/Nikki match yesterday was good. Even better that it lasted longer than five minutes

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Okay, you know what... you make a good point. No, I am not predicting that will happen. That was a poor choice of words. It's something I just hope happens because I don't think Reigns is ready to be a World Heavyweight Champion.
Too bad bbygurl cause that's what's gonna happen.

It's somewhat funny how much we went nuts for him at RR last year and booed Batista.
Whose we? I didn't go nuts for him. The only reason why people didn't boo him at RR was because he was the lesser of two evils.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Okay so most people, not we. Should've realized that wasn't the best word to use

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I still see Brock dropping the belt then giving Rollins the cash-in. I'm not a fan of Lesnar nor can I stand him at this point (had I watched during his 2002-2004 run, I would've thought differently), and Reigns just isn't ready for the title yet.

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
Brock re-signing with WWE definitely changes my prediction. I think Brock will win now, but Rollins will cash in.

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
Random thoughts:

I wouldn't be shocked if Undertaker came out as the American Badass Taker and not the "Deadman" Undertaker.

I now have a new reason to cheer for Rusev or a Cena win via DQ: If Cena wins clean and wins the U.S. Title, we may be subjected to... *shudders* the garbage can-inspired U.S. Title.

Top Bottom