• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Work Thread: Get a job you hippie! Then come here and talk about it.

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
Well, as of monday, June 30, I've joined the working world!

But what's this? There's no topic to talk about it in! Working is a pretty universal thing as far as I can tell. Whether it be for money, to build a resume, or just to have something to do all day, at some point everyone has to get a job. So here we go, time for a work topic!

Got a job?
Looking for a job?
Like your job?
Anything interesting happen at your job?
Got a dream job?
etc.

I'll kick things off!

Last monday, I was hired at a wine and gourmet chocolate shop. It was really a lucky break. The owner of the place was a friend of my dad. She knew he was a good customer and we had met once or twice. So when she needed some extra help with computer stuff and someone she could trust to handle the place when she couldn't be there, I was pretty high on her list. I didn't even have to fill out an application! I'm also starting at $9 an hour, which is pretty good for my first job. I also get as much chocolate as I can eat!

There's one problem though, my boss is kinda out of touch with reality... She knows I haven't had a job before, but she left me in charge of the store, alone, for five hours, my third day. THAT WAS REALLY STRESSFUL! I hardly even knew where all the different wines were, and I DEFINITELY didn't know how to recommend anything yet! I figured out how to work the register about five minutes before she left, and I didn't quite know how to weigh the chocolate yet. I got somewhere in the range of 7-8 customers and fewer than half of them knew what they wanted. That was nooooot fun! She also hasn't figured out what my schedule is yet. I just come in whenever she calls me. It's not bad, just kinda annoying.

Overall, it's a good deal though.

So, let's hear it. How's your job?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I am currently at work. I work in a computer lab at school for about 7 hours a day. In the afternoons, since no one really comes, I can get on the computers. Otherwise, I just sit and read/do homework/write. It gets really boring and downright tiresome to sit and do nothing for hours on end, but it's not bad for $8.55 an hour. Also, I am trying to break into freelancing, so we'll see how that goes.

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
That kind of down time does sound a little bit excessive. It doesn't seem like it would be bad for a week or two, but I would really be tired of it after a while. At least you can be productive when you're bored. I bet you could even be a moderator on a popular Smash related forum with that kind of time!

Good luck with the freelancing! Do you mind me asking what that consists of?

Overload

Smash Lord
I work for a company called plant essentials. I stock plants at lowe's for them. I go in whenever I please and leave whenever I please. I make nine bucks an hour. The job isn't the most fun in the world but it certainly is pretty easy. My brother used to work for them and so he hooked me up with the person's number after he got fired for stealing hours. He would punch in work a little then leave for two hours. . .idiot

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
One of my friends has a job, on Eglin AFB, and during the lazy hours, he is allowed to play with toys(guns), it is on some firing range or something, and he has high pay, $8-9 an hour.
Good luck with your new job Lavos.
I might join the Marines Reserve( i think, if you can), when i turn 17.

mzink*

Smash Ace
I just got booted from the military because of a spinal injury. I really enjoyed it while I was in though, you are always kept busy whether you are going for a new ribbon at the range, working out till you're bout to drop, researching on the computer, building a presentation, going to some ceremony, doing some sort of training or whatever. The only part of my job that I did not enjoy was being shoved into a gas chamber at bootcamp lol, that wasn't too fun. Plus loads of people in the military love video games so we'd get together in massive groups whenever we could to play in our down time.

Now all I have to do is figure out what options lie ahead of me....

Program

Smash Apprentice
I work at DQ. I make ice cream for fat angry people that want it to look like the pictures or the TV, which is impossible. I do dishes, and basically deal with immature little girls, and do most of the work myself. Im sick of it, I hopefully can get a job interning at a school, and hopefully achieve my dream of being a choral director. Sigh, until then what size would you like your M&M blizzard.

mzink*

Smash Ace
Do you get free Blizzards? I wish I had a Blizzard right now....

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I am currently at work. I work in a computer lab at school for about 7 hours a day. In the afternoons, since no one really comes, I can get on the computers. Otherwise, I just sit and read/do homework/write. It gets really boring and downright tiresome to sit and do nothing for hours on end, but it's not bad for $8.55 an hour. Also, I am trying to break into freelancing, so we'll see how that goes.
Currently I work as a Network administrator at the school I graduated from just last year :laugh:

I work about 8 hours a day, 5 days a week at about $11 dollars an hour. Alot of that time has been spent sitting around on SWF, though I do spend much of my time running around, fixing computers. Its a traineeship in Network Administration that I've decided to undertake before I head to uni, and I'll be done by this year's end.

As far as freelance work goes, I've found that the best pool of potential customers are the school teachers/faculty that would rather not pay through the nose just to have their computer looked at.

As for my views on my work, I wouldn't trade it for any other job I could realistically have right now. My boss acts more like a mother so it's not particularly a demanding job as long as you have good people skills and patience.

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
This thread made me feel pretty darn good! Mainly because I make more per hour than anyone else who listed their wages. :lick:

I work with my dad doing renovations at his friend's house for $12/h(CHACHING! I'M GONNA' BE RICH!!!). It involves painting, nailing, screwing(no innuendos to be found here), demolishing, lifting stuff from point A to point B, insulating(thank god THAT'S over with), and other random tasks that nobody else wants to do. Both the hours and days that I work are pretty sporadic, basically whenever said friend wants us over if my dad's available.

Soon I'll be doing some work helping my dad and said friend install vacuums in new houses. I don't know If I'll be making any more/less money for the work I do, but I'll be getting more work, and that's all that really matters to me. Got's to get paid, or else I ain't gonna' be able to pay for mah tooishun!!!

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I work at Tim Hortons. I make $9.25/hour because I've been working there for almost 2 years (in September). I'm basically a janitor because I clean dishes, wipe tables, mop the floor etc.

JLynn943

Smash Ace
I work in the print room of the drafting department of an exterior panel manufacturing company. Sounds fun, no? I basically just sit here with the other guy that works here full-time all year round (I'm only here in the summers, at college the rest of the year) waiting for stuff to do. $10/hr though, so it's not bad at all

Cloak and Dagger

Smash Journeyman
Im currently working at an advertising agency in Dallas, well Im actually interning. I studied graphic design in college and I am about to graduate. All throughout college I thought that this would be my dream job, but after a month and a half of working here it is enough to make me rethink the path I have chosen. I was a talented artist and that is why I chose to study graphic design, but turning a passion into your work can often ruin what made that passion great in the first place. I say go to school and study something that you know will pay good. Even if it seems tedious and repetitive jobs like that pay off in the long run.

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
I've got a couple friends who went into the millitary and they all love it. If that's what interest's you, go for it Johnthegalatic.

So, I showed up for work 40 minutes late, didn't have time to hand out the fliers I was supposed to, forgot to relay an important message to my boss from saturday, messed up making some gift baskets, accidentally let the dipping chocolate sit long enough to solidify, and screwed up the discount on a $200 sale. Today just isn't my day!

diabetic_yoshi

Smash Apprentice
I currently work in the electronics department of a certain toy store with a giraffe mascot whose name I cannot mention due to possible legal repercussions. Prior to my current job I worked two years at GameCrazy. Work sucks no matter where its at, but retail has a way of slowly sucking your soul out and leaves little tactfulness to remain. After four years of retail I'm devoid of all forms of sympathy, empathy, and sometimes I want to boot kittens.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I just got booted from the military because of a spinal injury. I really enjoyed it while I was in though, you are always kept busy whether you are going for a new ribbon at the range, working out till you're bout to drop, researching on the computer, building a presentation, going to some ceremony, doing some sort of training or whatever. The only part of my job that I did not enjoy was being shoved into a gas chamber at bootcamp lol, that wasn't too fun. Plus loads of people in the military love video games so we'd get together in massive groups whenever we could to play in our down time.

Now all I have to do is figure out what options lie ahead of me....
Im sorry about your injury, I would cry if I was kicked out of the military, so far, I have been preparing for service for two years, with 6 more planned, so, yeah, I would cry.

Kitten

Smash Journeyman
I work at Greggs in the UK, got the job today. It basically sells baked goods. By the end of my training, I'll be a masterbaker. Only make a fiver an hour, though.

The best bit is I get half price on everything.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Im sorry about your injury, I would cry if I was kicked out of the military, so far, I have been preparing for service for two years, with 6 more planned, so, yeah, I would cry.
Just keep in mind, it happens a lot easier than you think.

My friend went to Iraq, was horribly ****ed up mentally, and began drinking excessively. He got into a fight a bar where this guy was yelling at a waitress, and he stood up to the guy, got punched out a few times for it, then kept getting up and told the girl he'd get his car for her to get out of there. He did that, got punched AGAIN this time hitting his head on a table. He was in a medically induced coma for 2 weeks after that and will be discharged in the Fall. He cannot smell and has no short term memory. There military will give him a pension, and that's about it. Fact is, **** happens, be ready to cope. (Sidenote: I have heard variations on this story)

Cloak and Dagger

Smash Journeyman
Wow, you think he would be the one handing out the *** whoopings, but we have all seen con air and know how that goes.

Top Bottom