• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Wii U Gamepad lags when playing VC

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
So for the longest time, since way back when Nintendo was doing the $.30 VC games on sale, I could never shake the feeling that VC games felt worse on the Gamepad than on the TV. What's more odd, is that this feeling only occurred when playing VC games on the Gamepad. Anytime I played a regular Wii U title on the Gamepad, such as NSMBU, or if I played any game on the TV itself, it felt fine.

I've never owned Punch-Out before, and when I finally got it for Wii U, I noticed that reacting to some of the later challengers felt impossible when playing on the Gamepad, though it felt doable when I played on a CRT. At the time, I tried to look up and see if anyone was having a similar issue, and nothing came up.

But recently, I decided to revisit this issue and found this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799037

This article shows what happens when you suspend a VC game using the home button, then viewing the 2 screens back to back using either Miiverse or the close curtain on the Internet App.

Notice that the colors of that number are different? This basically confirms that there is something wrong with the VC. At the very least, the Gamepad is proven to be receiving the video stream later than it should IN ADDITION to the latency of displaying the image on the screen itself (Nintendo has gone on record saying that Gamepad always has around 1 frame of lag caused from the time it takes to display the image onto the screen). But this isn't the latency from displaying the image, this delay is happening before the image ever reaches the Gamepad, which is only compounding the problem.

Some people complain that there is even more lag than that. A few member online claimed that the Gamepad itself is unresponsive when playing VC games. People have the feeling that the button presses on the Gamepad are unresponsive, even if you are looking at CRT while playing with the Gamepad as the controller, yet, they do not feel this when playing with the other controller types or when playing VC games through the Wii U's Wii mode.

I haven't paid quite that much attention to notice if the Gamepad itself has a delay in reading button inputs, but I've always had a hunch that the Gamepad display was lagging more during VC games than regular titles, and now after reading this article and suspending the game with the home button on my own and comparing the two screens, I know for sure that this is true.

Here are gif comparisons of what is being displayed on the TV, then on the Gamepad:

Now look at the comparison when playing a game that is not on VC:

Top Bottom