• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U The Wii U Gamepad and Smash 4

Are you satisfied with the Wii U Gamepad's functions in Smash 4?

• Total voters

_gold_

Smash Master
Are you satisfied with how the Gamepad was utilized in this game? As it sits, it's only function are few and not that noteworthy. Are you O.K. with the lack of features it offers in Smash 4? Or can you imagine other ways it could've been put to use?

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I will say....Yeah. For me, the lack of use of Gamepad is not a problem for me. The simple fact that i can play Smash with my parent looking their TV is enough good for me. Homewer, the Stage Builder is kinda....meh. No, it's OK. Same for the drawning mode. It's OK too. But it could be better. But it's at least good for me. So yeah the lack of use of the Gamepad doesn't bother me.

Last edited:

Paxadin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paxadin
3DS FC
2767-1146-9743
I use it as my TV, so I'm fine.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The controls are the big downfall, since you're not given the option to use the directional pad to move your fighter.

D

Deleted member

I'm cool with the GamePad-specific features; I can't imagine what else would've it been used for. I mostly use it for Off-TV Play.

ThatKidSparky

Smash Rookie
NNID
Junmkk
As someone who dosnt own a screen or a monitor, I love the Gamepad as an alternative. Watching streams, Netflix, and playing smash 4 is a great advantage for an all-in-one console

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
My TV is a bit dated for the Wii U so while I was able to get it hooked up, I get picture but no sound. I've used the Gamepad for sound when so desired.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
The only thing that bothers me is the fact that you cannot navigate the smash menus using the touchscreen. That's completely ridiculous and lazy of Nintendo. Other than that, I guess it's fine. Motion controls and the 2nd screen really have no place in a fighting game.

_gold_

Smash Master
The only thing that bothers me is the fact that you cannot navigate the smash menus using the touchscreen. That's completely ridiculous and lazy of Nintendo. Other than that, I guess it's fine. Motion controls and the 2nd screen really have no place in a fighting game.
Same! They're giant buttons just asking to be touched with the pen, but alas, you cannot.

Raijinken

Smash Master
All I think it should be able to do is allow touch-screen menu control.

Otherwise, it's just a controller that is too spread-out for me to comfortably use. Functional, but not my cup of tea.

As for the second screen, off-TV play is amazing for when I'm too lazy to swap inputs on my computer monitor (since I don't have an HD-able TV, or if I'm using my computer for something), or when taking long road trips. So I wouldn't do away with that.

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I love the gamepad as is, in fact I use it half and half as my main controller (blasphemy I know) along with the Wii U Pro.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I am mostly satisfied with this game's use of the Gamepad, as rarely as I use it. Outside of occasional amiibo battles and stage builder, I sometimes use it for light play remotely, mainly to maintain equipment inventory to keep it under the 3000 maximum. Most of the time I keep the Gamepad out of range of my console to avoid draining it, and I wish I could use my GameCube controllers for the Masterpieces demos.

My TV is a bit dated for the Wii U so while I was able to get it hooked up, I get picture but no sound. I've used the Gamepad for sound when so desired.
Do you have the red, yellow, and white connectors from a prior console and an old working stereo and a VCR, regardless of whether it eats tapes? If so, you can hook it up to virtually any TV since the 1970s. When the N64 first came out in 1996, I was in your same predicament, with no TV newer than 1983. I resolved the situation by plugging the yellow wire into an old early 1980s VCR that ate tapes, and by plugging the red and white wires into a 1970s stereo unit via the phono jack, since it was too old to have the preferable AUX/CD jacks. Anytime I wanted to play my N64, I simply turned the TV to channel 3, turned the TV volume OFF to avoid hearing static, turned on the VCR, and turned on the stereo for the game's volume. I didn't mind the lack of a remote control for volume, as long as I could play.

You can do the same with the Wii U. Since you already have a picture, no VCR is needed. Just split off the red and white wires, and hook them into a stereo. In fact, old tube TVs are preferable because there is no input lag whatsoever for offline play.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
oh i forgot to mention using it to plug in my beats for rocking the sound when my family needs quiet time, or when everyones asleep is awesome

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I am mostly satisfied with this game's use of the Gamepad, as rarely as I use it. Outside of occasional amiibo battles and stage builder, I sometimes use it for light play remotely, mainly to maintain equipment inventory to keep it under the 3000 maximum. Most of the time I keep the Gamepad out of range of my console to avoid draining it, and I wish I could use my GameCube controllers for the Masterpieces demos.

Do you have the red, yellow, and white connectors from a prior console and an old working stereo and a VCR, regardless of whether it eats tapes? If so, you can hook it up to virtually any TV since the 1970s. When the N64 first came out in 1996, I was in your same predicament, with no TV newer than 1983. I resolved the situation by plugging the yellow wire into an old early 1980s VCR that ate tapes, and by plugging the red and white wires into a 1970s stereo unit via the phono jack, since it was too old to have the preferable AUX/CD jacks. Anytime I wanted to play my N64, I simply turned the TV to channel 3, turned the TV volume OFF to avoid hearing static, turned on the VCR, and turned on the stereo for the game's volume. I didn't mind the lack of a remote control for volume, as long as I could play.

You can do the same with the Wii U. Since you already have a picture, no VCR is needed. Just split off the red and white wires, and hook them into a stereo. In fact, old tube TVs are preferable because there is no input lag whatsoever for offline play.
I have the red, yellow and white connectors from the Wii.

This TV is from the mid-2000's, the screen is just wide enough (the first two characters for typing in a handle are cut off. I've made embarrassing mistakes before such as meaning to type in "BAD-COURSE" when it comes out as "CDC-COURSE"). The Wii U came with a cable (probably for the audio) that the my TV isn't compatible with. I'd honestly have to look further into it to give a better answer.

One of those 50 inch flatscreens sounds good right about now.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
No touchscreen on menus is stupid, having to type in name tags using an ONSCREEN NUMERICAL PAD WITH THE CONTROLLER is outright ridiculous while having a stylus and a screen right THERE, the game should recognize both the gamepad screen AND controller for that imo.

Also... why are L and the ZL buttons mapped to ''back'' on menus? I can't put the stupid gamepad down without the thing disconnecting me from online mode due to the triggers being pushed accidentally!

Top Bottom