• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Weaknesses of Captain Falcon

Where do you think Captain Falcon belongs on a tier list?

• Total voters

iX_Martyr_Xi

Smash Rookie
This thread is simple. What are the weaknesses of Captain Falcon? What characters does Captain Falcon struggle against? What is Captain Falcon not good at that other characters could do better? What situations are bad for Captain Falcon? (Besides the fact that he doesn't have a projectile.)

Already covered:
Has difficulty approaching with projectile spammers
Linear recovery and tricky to sweetspot

Last edited:

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
In my experience Falcon has difficulty approaching through projectile spam, power-shielding is a solution to this but it's difficult to practice on your own so it's hard to apply in a set if you haven't mastered it

Last edited:

JayMan-X

Smash Apprentice
Captain Falcon has one of the worst recoveries on the game. Its extremely linear and its pretty difficult to sweetspot with.
The only thing that may be worse than CFalcon's recovery is maybe tether recoveries like Olimar and Ivysaur.

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon has one of the worst recoveries on the game. Its extremely linear and its pretty difficult to sweetspot with.
The only thing that may be worse than CFalcon's recovery is maybe tether recoveries like Olimar and Ivysaur.
Interestingly, Captain Falcon's only true sweetspot is a frame perfect reverse Up B on Battlefield.

So yeah, his recovery is awful.

B00nes

Smash Rookie
Captain falcon is either destroying the openent or he himself is getting destroyed, there doesn't seem to be an in-between. Bad recovery and is disgustingly momentum based. Heavy fast faller makes him combo food.

Symptomized

Smash Rookie
I have a hard time against Ganondorf personally, as most of Ganon's hitboxes and priorities seem out trump out C.Falcons, especially Ganon's down+b

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf is definitely not a bad matchup for Falcon. It must be close to or be even. In Melee the matchup was 60-40 Falcon and even given Ganondorfs many buffs Ganon dosent win the matchup. Both characters punish each other hard, Ganon has an easier time edge guarding Falcon but Ganons movement in neutral relies on platform movement and float approaches. Stay away from battlefield, warioware and Yoshi's story and you should have a fine time beating him in neutral. I end up playing the matchup like the Marth matchup.
@Symptomize
As for Ganon's priority, trying to trade with Ganon is never a good idea. try to bait Ganon into a bad approach and punishing his laggy options. Knowing what to punish is also important. I suggest playing Ganon a little bit if you haven't already to get an idea of what you can punish. Specifically speaking of Ganons Das boot out running it is always a good option. If you predict it you can actually stomp Ganon out of it and punish. Also shielding and wavedash oos is another good option to set up a punish. If you have more moves that you are struggling to deal with let the falcon gurus here know. They can help.

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
I'd say he is exactly the power I want characters to be in PM. I do think he is high tier and most characters could use some buffs to fill the tiny gap between them and Falcon. He has a great combo game but gets combo'd himself very easily and has a very easy to edge guard recovery. Practicing punishing his recovery would be a good way to improve your game against Falcon.

Top Bottom