• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The way of the Falco

Gearitz

Smash Apprentice
How is Falco played I've read guides but never had a clear idea of how he should be played or an optimal way to play him. I prefer a more a counter attack style baiting the opponent but that doesn't seem to fit into Falco's play style.

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
It depends on the matchup a lot and there are a lot of different ways to play the character effectively. In most matchups, the main idea is to control your opponent with his lasers or shine or whatever and hunt for a launcher into a slick punish. These punishes often aren't 70% combo video fodder but are often a few hits putting the other guy in a nasty spot. If the spot is nasty enough, you can punish again and get a kill.
This is a good example: https://youtu.be/55UJK9ewpjo?t=8m43s

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I see that you've got Marth listed as your main. A lot of people (myself included) agree that they have really similar fundamentals, but they come out in different ways. They both want to have center stage and keep it. They need to threaten with whatever they have, and they both need a super high level of mental awareness. The biggest difference is really that Falco is super technical and has different moves that could be considered good in the first place. Where Marth walls out with fairs, Falco walls out with bairs. While Marth treatens grabs, Falco threatens shines. Marth gets started a lot with his dtilt, but Falco likes laser follow-ups in order to get stuff done. Also, you'll want to determine if you play a more PPMD or Westballz-esque Falco. I opt for Westballz-esque. Only the super guaranteed lasers that won't get him punished, with DDing to cover the rest of the neutral. Also, SHFFL nair and dair are two of Flaco's best tools, quite unlike Marth. Hope this helps.

ETMIV

Smash Rookie
FE_Hector, I'm a very new player who dabbles in playing Marth and Falco, and I'm just a little confused by some of your response stating that Marth and Falco are fundamentally similar characters. I would just like some clarification on a few points for my own edification about the game. I hope none of this sounds critical; I am just genuinely interested in understanding more about Melee and the two characters.

You say Falco and Marth "both want to have center stage and keep it. They need to threaten with whatever they have, and they both need a super high level of mental awareness."

Are there characters that do not, ideally, want to take the center stage and control it? I am aware that some characters like Jigglypuff and Peach are more comfortable off stage or near the edge than other characters, which means stage control might be relatively more or less important depending on the character. However, I had always thought that controlling the center stage was ultimately a priority for every character and that this was just a general, fundamental principle in Melee.

Are there characters that do not need to try to be as threatening as possible in any given situation? This also seemed like a general principle that one would follow.

Finally, are there any characters that would not require excellent awareness to be played well? Again, I assume that being highly mentally aware is a general principle of the game. Although, as with controlling the center stage, I can see how this might be relatively more or less important depending on the character.

If controlling the stage, being as threatening as possible, and having high awareness are indeed principles generally applicable to playing all or most characters, I do not see based just on these principles how Marth and Falco are any more fundamentally similar than any other two characters. Most of the rest of your post describes the dissimilarities in the characters in terms of technical skill and moveset options.

I hope you will respond to this, so I can better my understanding both of Melee fundamentals and the similarities and differences between Falco and Marth. Thank you for your time, and I apologize for the length of the post.

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Stage control: That was kinda poorly worded. I really just meant that they should always value watever stage control they have. It's true that this is a very fundamental principle of Melee, but Marth and Falco are two of the characters who threaten in order to keep their stage control the most. Sheik can camp a corner and get in everything she needs, and Fox and Falcon can generally straight-up take the stage because they're so powerful. Marth and Falco, however, need to use very specific, intentional moves in order to wall out their opponents.

Mental awareness: Really what this comes down to is that they have the least BnB combos on different characters. Falco has a lot of guaranteed stuff on fast fallers, but against more floaty characters, what is and isn't guaranteed really falls into question. He also needs to fight a lot in order to get the one big opening he needs in order to combo you to death. The same goes for Marth, maybe even more so. He has an almost entirely different gameplan for most characters in the game because of how unique he is, so you have to have a super intimate knowledge of each MU. Super smooth movement in the neutral is extremely important for them, even more than for other characters, especially because they probably have more 0-death potential than any other character. Besides this, the two of them also get threatened super quickly, so knowing clutch techniques to get you out of dangerous situations is way more important to them than a lot of other characters.

I haven't completely finished figuring out all the nuances to their super similar fundamentals as I haven't done nearly enough top-level analysis for Falco yet, but that's the basics of it in my opinion. Also, for future reference, do @ and then a name in order to tag somebody in. For example... @ChivalRuse could you please expand upon how fundamentally the two characters are?

Grendel

Smash Rookie
one of the most fun parts of playing falco is pressing a lot of buttons

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
one of the most fun parts of playing falco is pressing a lot of buttons
Pressing lots of buttons without a purpose is far different, though. What's really fun is pressing lots of buttons and watching your opponents stocks vanish.

McWaffles

Still grinding to be decent.
Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
Pressing lots of buttons without a purpose is far different, though. What's really fun is pressing lots of buttons and watching your opponents stocks vanish.
truuu. and the benefits of making your opponent salty asf "THOSE DAMN LASERS" with the shine and dair is just.. ugh kreygasm xD

Top Bottom