• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The way i play ganondorf.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
now im just stating the way i had the most success online playing this style. (especially since my true main is pit and when i lose with him and can still win with my secondary ganon)

So first rule. No running unless you only wish to dash attack. ( no long distance running ether)
You have to walk my friends gotta be patient and slowly approach.

Second rule. Power shield. as your slowly approaching power shielding though projectile spam is a effective way to bait your opponent or continue to pressure them to react as you close the distance.

Third rule. Abuse tilts/jab (but up tilt) Ganon's tilts not only are damaging but are nice kill moves as well. This rule goes along with the first rule because you will be needing access to your tilts/jab as soon as possible and prevents an unintetional dash attacks and grabs (for accidental grabs im talking about canceling your run with a shield) Also use you down b to punish as well allowing you to break distance and damage at the same time.

Now things to look out for. any decent player will grow aware of your powersheilding punish tactics and they will just try to grab you. best solution? Dodge roll or spot dodge or even at times a nair bair or fair will do the trick. be sure to mix it up so they are constantly trying to figure out how your going to punish.

The best kill moves ( Fair Bair F tilt D tilt and F smash Up Smash) F tilt is my personal favorite since the trajectory it knocks is almost straight forward. and if your recovery is not god tier most of the time they wont make it back.

Strongest counter characters i encountered to this play style are Greninja and zero suit samus.
Greninja's projectile spam is really difficult to deal with snice he can throw another out alot more quickly in comparison to the likes of samus and pit. mix in a threatening speed and it can be really painfull to deal with.
Zero suit just has god tier movement and recovery and can be really difficult to bait punishable attacks. Mix in a deadly projectile and there's a problem.

Another character from a different game that shares this playstlye? Street fighters zangief so for those who played him will have a better understanding of what im trying to get across.

I really wanted to do a video example as well but i don't have the correct equipment to do so. but if someone else feels like they can post a video demonstrating what im trying to present here. much appreciated.
I feel this is the most effective and well kinda funny way to play ganondorf. but anyway thanks for reading and leave your thoughts below.

Last edited:

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Your first rule is bad, no running? Why not? Considering you can use shield to cancel run I have no idea why you would play with this mindset.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Your first rule is bad, no running? Why not? Considering you can use shield to cancel run I have no idea why you would play with this mindset.
i know its sound strange but you need every opportunity to read what your opponent is doing along with pressureing them to approach you instead. also you can not powershield during the initial dash animation allowing you to be open to potential projectiles.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Pretty sure that's really awful advice. Spacing is pretty essential for Gdorf and running is a key part of maintaining correct spacing.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Pretty sure that's really awful advice. Spacing is pretty essential for Gdorf and running is a key part of maintaining correct spacing.
your correct spacing is important.
Running to position yourself "quickly" is important. I wouldn't recommend it when you're near your opponent though.
SO basically what he said. you should run but not near the opponent (unless you wish to dash attack) since you cannot shield during the dash animation and only in the running animation.

i should have elaborated more.

The Shadow Emperor

Smash Apprentice
I've sent many hapless foes to their doom thanks to an aerial Flame Choke over a pit. Like the blitzkrieg in chess, most people will only fall for it once, but it's totally worth it each and every time.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Ive got to see these non running gdorfs in action... Seems like you are just crippling yourself more while using an already difficult character to master.

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
I dislike running near the opponent too. Makes spacing easier. Guess I got this from playing street fighter. Had better results with ganon and lucario in brawl when I stopped "moving too much".

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Ive got to see these non running gdorfs in action... Seems like you are just crippling yourself more while using an already difficult character to master.
hey man you can give it a shot your self. but no worries this is just the way i feel ganon is effective since he sure as hell won't be catching people off guard with his speed. but overall until further testing this is just the way i felt most at home playing him. and trying not to play his weaknesses.

Last edited:

Twoyears

Smash Cadet
Ganon has a fast skid cancel, why wouldn't you want to run? I mean, close distance I can kind of understand but when they're across the entirety of fd there's no real reason not to run.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Ganon has a fast skid cancel, why wouldn't you want to run? I mean, close distance I can kind of understand but when they're across the entirety of fd there's no real reason not to run.
this was covered in some comments above but yeah dpending on who yor facing any character who has great projectile spam walking is the better option so your abke to bait them into a dedicated attack you can punish.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
this was covered in some comments above but yeah dpending on who yor facing any character who has great projectile spam walking is the better option so your abke to bait them into a dedicated attack you can punish.
The exception to this of course is with projectiles that the dash attack can hit back, but even then the bottom of your boot will do the trick just fine too.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
I like to use the side b command grab to help me get some good reads. Some people just sit there like dead fish long enough to pop them up with dtilt, but others will roll or getup attack. If you catch these right you can get some amazing punishes. This help a ton against counter spam from Lucina/ Marth. Short hop U-air is really powerful too, stopping a lot of other aerials when it's spaced well.

Aerial D-Special is also a nice kill move/ "spike". I do wish He was a little faster to catch rolls and techs a little better, but I can manage.

Top Bottom