• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Uses of Mario

Is this on point?

• Total voters

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
Some of you may remember this thread I made from Smashmods. Hope this helps :).
This thread is to show the usefulness and to make the most out of Mario's moveset. Warning! Some of these are situational.

Jab: Really good for setting up mix-ups into grabs and tilts. Good for resetting your opponents if they miss a tech and the other 2 hits can be used to get the opponent off. Also has enough hitstun to Dsmash.

Forward tilt: Can be used to space.

Up tilt: Good for juggling opponents and starting combo's can kill above 150%

Down tilt: People say it's useless but it is actually useful it has lower cool-down in 2.6, an intangible shin, good for techchasing at high %s and starting small combos on floaties. Pokes bad/decayed shields.

Forward smash: Good range, knockback, and the sweetspot has transcendant priority. Great combo finisher and kills at 90%. Has a technical dodge (Mario pulls his arm in and leans backwards) that can allow Mario to dodge attacks and then punish. Stutterstepping extends it's range significantly (out-ranges Marth's Fsmash)

Up smash: Good combo starter on grounded opponents since it spikes and can lead to many aerials and kill above 130%. Great OoS option has invincibility during the entire attacking hitbox duration so it can be used to 'break through' attacks like Peach's dair.

Down smash: Fast and powerful. Good for spacing and combo finisher can kill above 100%.

Neutral air: Good for spacing, starting and ending combos and is a combo breaker.

Forward air: Good knockback on upper swing and kills at 110%, combo ender, meteor smash on last few frames can be used for edgeguarding and can set up for TCs and combo into Doc fair. Very safe to use offstage due to IASA frames.

Up air: Excellent juggler and combo starter also can be used to gimp with the back hit and set up bair edgeguards.

Down air: Excellent Combo starter can lead to an Uair off a full hop or grab and a lot of other things off a short hop.

Back air: Can WoP. Great for edgeguarding and gimping because of the semi-spike angle it sends opponents.

Neutral B (Fireballs): (As of 2.6 it has a higher rate of fire) Good for zoning and approaching and good hit stun. Sets up combos, grabs, and mix-ups. Forces very low or high recoveries and gimps.

Side B (Cape): Good for mind games and recovery and reflects projectiles. Gimps extremely well. Can also be used to ledgestall without using a DJ.

Down B (Mario Tornado): Good for recovery can also be used for approach unexpectedly. Sets up combos and can be used to stall out the opponent's invincibility on the ledge. Good tool at higher percentages.

Up B (Super Jump Punch): Recovery move and can be wall jump canceled. Is a combo breaker. Decent Oos option and can be angled straight up or diagonal.

Up-throw: Chain grab heavy and fast fallers, starts combos, and can kill floaties at 140% and above.

Down throw: Chaingrabs and starts combos.

Forward throw: Sets up for edgeguard, can kill with bad DI at about 130%.

Back Throw: Very powerful. Kills above 120% near the edge and above 140% anywhere else.[/COLOR

Other techniques:

Short Hop Back air Waveland: Use this for spacing.

Full Hop Fireball Waveland: Use this to mixup your approach.

Reverse Fireball: Use this to retreat from your opponent.

Reverse Aerial Rush Back air: Use this to mix up approach (situational).

Cape Glide:

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
I remember this
pretty solid covers just about everything
good job

jruzzin

Smash Cadet
You didn't even mention how the cape can reflect other characters upb! The cape is sooo key

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
Edited OP. Found new uses for certain moves Like Down b and Up b. Changed the Back throw description since I realized his back throw isn't as powerful as Doc's.

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
You should add that F-Smash can be angled.
Also, whats teeter stepping exactly?
When you are turned in the opposite direction and you use the c-stick to Fsmash in the opposite direction your Fsmash range increases bit. It makes it out range Marth's Fsmash.

SiriusBull

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3909-8777-3464
When you are turned in the opposite direction and you use the c-stick to Fsmash in the opposite direction your Fsmash range increases bit. It makes it out range Marth's Fsmash.
Oh ok, I play with a wiimote, so I guess that wouldn't apply to me.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
how do u play with a wiimote

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
mario's a pretty solid charcter in my opinion. He doesn't really have too many weaknesses, other than a grab heavy neutral game. He has pretty good kill power and amazing recovery.

HiniCheese

Smash Rookie
So wait, usmash has iframes o_0 *****
Is this still present in 2.6b? If so, frame data PLOX
Oh and what's RBR fireball and RAR bair?

Fortress

Smash Master
I've seen some Mario players seriously neglect his fireballs and cape. Those are two of his most powerful moves, in my own opinion. I see a lot of people approach with Mario with his shorthopped Nair, but I find myself approaching with a shorthopped fireball out of a dash, followed by a grounded fireball, followed by a shorthopped fireball (moving forward in the air, not dashing though), and finally a down-special in the air. I just pepper the tornado in to get some covered movement from the air after throwing the third fireball, if the opponent chooses to shield all of them. If they hit the air after the third fireball, I just shorthop nair away to cover myself. Fireball pressure is incredible, and has some serious applications.

As for the cape, you only need to know five words.

Snake's. Recovery. Is. Never. Happening.

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
I've seen some Mario players seriously neglect his fireballs and cape. Those are two of his most powerful moves, in my own opinion. I see a lot of people approach with Mario with his shorthopped Nair, but I find myself approaching with a shorthopped fireball out of a dash, followed by a grounded fireball, followed by a shorthopped fireball (moving forward in the air, not dashing though), and finally a down-special in the air. I just pepper the tornado in to get some covered movement from the air after throwing the third fireball, if the opponent chooses to shield all of them. If they hit the air after the third fireball, I just shorthop nair away to cover myself. Fireball pressure is incredible, and has some serious applications.

As for the cape, you only need to know five words.

Snake's. Recovery. Is. Never. Happening.
I think Snake and Sonic get their Up B back after a cape.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
I think Snake and Sonic get their Up B back after a cape.
add g&w too
iirc u can cape them at the end of the upb and they wont get it back
i know for fact it works with g&w and sonic
havent tested on snake yet but i try to read the upb with cape so it reverses the controls
fireballs & bairs are better for edgeguarding snake anyways

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
add g&w too
iirc u can cape them at the end of the upb and they wont get it back
i know for fact it works with g&w and sonic
havent tested on snake yet but i try to read the upb with cape so it reverses the controls
fireballs & bairs are better for edgeguarding snake anyways
That's so stupid. When I cape I expect to gimp my opponent not give them their upb back.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
Also has anyone mastered the cape glide?
im alright i get the farthest one sometimes but i want to know what frames gives u the long glide so i can cape glide more consistently

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
That's so stupid. When I cape I expect to gimp my opponent not give them their upb back.
its fair because they are rather easy to cape i think its great cause we have so many more options to come with

Fortress

Smash Master
its fair because they are rather easy to cape i think its great cause we have so many more options to come with
That's fair enough. I've killed my friends plenty of times with the cape when they try and come back with Snake, so apparently we didn't know that you get another Cypher recovery out of it. Who knew? But, yeah, Mario has plenty of options, fireballs being the gimpiest tool on this side of gimptown.

('gimpiest' is not highlighted in my spellchecker, huh.)

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
Snake has that stupid grenade and C4 that save him and Sonic has that ridiculous air speed, side b and up b.

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
im alright i get the farthest one sometimes but i want to know what frames gives u the long glide so i can cape glide more consistently
M if you want the longest distance you need to do it frame perfect as SOON as you are about to leave the edge. I can do it consistently offline. Online **** that. Practice on BF

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
Snake has that stupid grenade and C4 that save him and Sonic has that ridiculous air speed, side b and up b.
cape him and force him to use it if u can read how high his nade or c4 will take him and use bair
as for sonic u can cape his upb at its peak

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
M if you want the longest distance you need to do it frame perfect as SOON as you are about to leave the edge. I can do it consistently offline. Online **** that. Practice on BF
Ima have to see the timing on a vid or something cause i dont like to look at myself ingame

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
Ima have to see the timing on a vid or something cause i dont like to look at myself ingame
Yah you look at your opponent. If you master tech skill with your character you shouldn't need to look at your character unless recovering

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
i look at my opponent when i recover too but i need to look at mario when im practicing so i know the timing and get use to it

Blue Doc

Smash Cadet
Woah hold up what's the cape glide? That sounds SICK.

Fortress

Smash Master
Just cape as you're running off of a ledge. Gives you a little floatiness that you can use in aerial approaches and trickery. Here.

This video isn't for P:M, but you'll get the gist of it. And, it's more than what I described it as, but that's, again, the gist of it.

Blue Doc

Smash Cadet
Just cape as you're running off of a ledge. Gives you a little floatiness that you can use in aerial approaches and trickery. Here.

This video isn't for P:M, but you'll get the gist of it. And, it's more than what I described it as, but that's, again, the gist of it.

You a Mario main? We should team up and destroy some souls lol. Nice to meet you btw.

Fortress

Smash Master
Nice to meet you, too. And, no, I'm a Link main. BUT, I was a Melee Mario, and used Mario for a very long time in P:M (until 2.6b) before I moved Link from secondary to main, and Mario from main to secondary. I do love playing Mario, though. I don't think he's used enough professionally, to be honest. He deserves more attention, which I think he'll be getting soon.

If you're looking to step up your Mario game, seek out Mr. M here on the boards. Him and I duked it out all night online once, and he plays a pretty mean plumber. If he's up for showing you the nitty gritty on him, I'm sure you can improve by listening to what he has to say.

As for myself, we can throw down once I get my Wii in the mail. Had to get a new one, and have been out of the game for about two weeks.

Blue Doc

Smash Cadet
Nice to meet you, too. And, no, I'm a Link main. BUT, I was a Melee Mario, and used Mario for a very long time in P:M (until 2.6b) before I moved Link from secondary to main, and Mario from main to secondary. I do love playing Mario, though. I don't think he's used enough professionally, to be honest. He deserves more attention, which I think he'll be getting soon.

If you're looking to step up your Mario game, seek out Mr. M here on the boards. Him and I duked it out all night online once, and he plays a pretty mean plumber. If he's up for showing you the nitty gritty on him, I'm sure you can improve by listening to what he has to say.

As for myself, we can throw down once I get my Wii in the mail. Had to get a new one, and have been out of the game for about two weeks.
Thanks for the speedy reply. Mr.M huh? Lol Isn't that a Super Paper Mario character?

Blue Doc

Smash Cadet

Oh also how come some things aren't filled in on the list? Is this Vice dude going to come back and finish it? He seems like he has knowledge too.

Fortress

Smash Master
Doubt you'll be seeing him again. Dude was just swearing off Smashboards for life in a thread earlier today.

Blue Doc

Smash Cadet
Doubt you'll be seeing him again. Dude was just swearing off Smashboards for life in a thread earlier today.
Holy ****. He seemed useful but alright lol. My bad for bringing that up. Thanks for the video though that helped.

Actually do you have an FC I'd love to do dittos

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
I think I'll finish this ****ing thread before I go. Let my talent linger into the list.

Top Bottom