• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Up Tilt

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Ganondorf is one of my mains. I've always loved how he is a semi-clone of Falcon. I've just fallen in love with that moveset. He feels buffed from Brawl, and I've won alot of For Glory matches with him. So yup, I really enjoy Dorfy in this game.

But one move I've never really... understood... is his Up Tilt. I mean, it takes about the same amount of time to charge up as the Warlock Punch. Seems kinda strange for a tilt attack. Does anybody use this? Whenever I try to edge guard with Dorfy and people come above the edge, I nearly always use Warlock Punch instead of Up Tilt. Which is more powerful? Is it really useful? Does anybody have some kind of strategy for its usage? I know it can suck people slightly towards him, though.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
The move just seems so useless. Barely used it at all.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I feel like an old man trying to explain classical music to the young people whenever I post about UTilt.

It's a really good edgeguarding tool. Great range, scares people, low cool-down, etc.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I feel like an old man trying to explain classical music to the young people whenever I post about UTilt.

It's a really good edgeguarding tool. Great range, scares people, low cool-down, etc.
This. U-tilt is a safe move for edgeguarding and ledge pressure. While ACTUALLY hitting it isn't likely to happen, you can force people into awkward positions as they avoid it. Timing it so that they are forced to get up from the edge after grabbing it also can put you at a nice positional advantage.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
I think it also breaks shields in one hit now while the warlock punch does not.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I don't use Utilt thinking it will hit the opponent. I use when I know the opponent won't be able to punish it.

Super_Smasher6

Smash Cadet
This. U-tilt is a safe move for edgeguarding and ledge pressure. While ACTUALLY hitting it isn't likely to happen, you can force people into awkward positions as they avoid it. Timing it so that they are forced to get up from the edge after grabbing it also can put you at a nice positional advantage.
This! I use it to edgeguard and it scare your opponent and they can make a mistake or simply take it in the face and die.
The hitbox of the explosion is quite huge and it can break a full shield in ONE HIT. I've won plenty of duel online killing my opponent TWICE with it lol

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
The one thing that differentiates it from WP is that it destroys a full health shield.
Other than that, it is a good edge guarding scare mov.
In free for all, though, this move is bonkers for destroying people while they are fighting someone else. Hilarious.

Goonsquad眾神之王

Smash Rookie
U-tilting is very situational if you have an opportunity to use it. Buts its alot easier and safer just to use your b. that being said i dont think I've hit with it outside of training lol. one day im gonna break someone shield with it and their gonna get reverse warlock punched into the shadow realm.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
It's unsafe, but gives high reward. Good for edgeguarding, scaring people, even breaking shields. The explosion hitbox after the kick is still good too.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
It's the best combo option Ganon has. :\

It feels really amped up in this game, I've been using it much more than I did in past iterations for ledge pressure.
For those that are saying it efficiently breaks shields, when are there cases that you can actually break shields here? Is your opponent falling asleep holding the R button?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's the best combo option Ganon has. :\

It feels really amped up in this game, I've been using it much more than I did in past iterations for ledge pressure.
For those that are saying it efficiently breaks shields, when are there cases that you can actually break shields here? Is your opponent falling asleep holding the R button?
The fact your opponent isn't allowed to shield this move simply puts more limits as to how your opponent is supposed to avoid the move, which slightly increases your margin of error for spacing the move correctly for edge pressure. It's not gamebreaking, but it also isn't trivial.

Last edited:

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
But if they're avoiding the move, aren't they going to punish your utilt thereafter?

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
In the Kirby MU it cancels his inhale, as in it'll suck you towards him without eating you. I've broken a shield this way.

I'd post the vid and go on about it more, but I made a topic already.

Aside from that, I don't use it much, although I'm well aware of its ledge guarding capabilities. I've been guarded myself by an utilt, which made contact with perfect timing, but even if it didn't there's really no way to punish them considering how this distance from the ledge.

Does it still affect Ike's quickdraw?

CCCM89

Smash Ace
up-tilt. same build up time as neutral b, comparable launch power, yet it has greater horizontal and vertical range for the hit box, pulls enemies in with wind frames, AND has little to no ending lag, as opposed to the B. that and it scares the **** out of people. :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom