• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The (unofficial) hit-stun frame calculator!

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
Hi guys and welcome to this thread!
I've developed a single tool to calculate the hit-stun frames dealt after a hit. Please, before going forward, I have to mention:
  • The following information provided might be completely wrong to actual game-play, due to formula changes from brawl to smash 4. You've been warned.
  • Rage effect is not considered here (...yet), as the direct formula hasn't been found yet. Rage only increases knockback (NOT DAMAGE), so it should increase hit-stun frames.
  • This is my interpretation of many sources, it can be wrong in actual gameplay.
The tool can be found here, it includes a guide explaining how to use it. It can work with any character.
Some stuff not mentioned in the tool:
  • If you want to always see damages rows and columns (as for excel 2013),
    1. In your view window, adjust it so you can see your desired 'fixed row' and 'fixed column'.
    2. Select the cell D49.
    3. Go to view -> Freeze -> Freeze panels
    4. Done! (If you want to unfreeze, repeat the same process)
  • To calculate stale-moves:
    1. Select the frame stun you want to check (Truth is, only the row matters).
    2. Press F9 (Re-Calculate).
    3. And the little table should be refreshed!
IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
I should give credit to @ MythTrainerInfinity MythTrainerInfinity who started the aura damage chart, and his info come really helpful.
Credits to @Thinkaman , who has resumed the info to a "short" file, and both him and @Indigo Jeans who actually teached me how to read some of the data. (Along with many others).
Credits to @Dantarion , who shared the raw frame data.

Have fun using it! And hope it becomes handy!
EDIT: If you happen to have a #VAULE! Error in the stale-move table, check cell D36 (maybe E36 too), and change the value of "contenido" to you equivalent language (should be "content").

Last edited:

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
I'm unsure about whether this formula that I determined for the rage multiplier is the exact one, but the results seem to be close. This might be the formula used for it:

r = 100 if d ≤ 30
(d - 30)/8 + 100 if 30 ≤ d ≤ 150
115 if d ≥ 150

The variable r is the rage multiplier multiplied by 100 and the variable d is the amount of damage that the user of an attack has taken.

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
I'm unsure about whether this formula that I determined for the rage multiplier is the exact one, but the results seem to be close. This might be the formula used for it:

r = 100 if d ≤ 30
(d - 30)/8 + 100 if 30 ≤ d ≤ 150
115 if d ≥ 150

The variable r is the rage multiplier multiplied by 100 and the variable d is the amount of damage that the user of an attack has taken.
Sorry to took this long to reply, have you confirmed the knockback and rage bonus? I found that rage starts building at 50% at slow-speed, then caps at 150%. But I haven't found the actual bonus to knockback it gives.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Sorry to took this long to reply, have you confirmed the knockback and rage bonus? I found that rage starts building at 50% at slow-speed, then caps at 150%. But I haven't found the actual bonus to knockback it gives.
In the Mechanics & Techniques Discussion thread, Big O stated that the amount of knockback dealt begins to increase at 30% damage and stops increasing at 150% damage. This would explain why the average rate of change of the rage multiplier between 0% and 50% damage is lower than it is between 50% and 100% and so on. I've also calculated the knockback values for some of the attacks that were originally used to determine how strong the mechanic can be and the knockback ratios that calculated seem to match the the formula very closely.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Perhaps checking the launching speed might give you a clue?

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
The launching speed seems to be calculated very strangely. You can attack a target with an attack and look at the Max Launch Speed after quitting a match. After taking at least 85% damage then using the same attack, the result for Max Launch Speed changes to a larger value; there aren't any in-between values that can be recorded. Also, the way that Max Launch speed is calculated seems to be different compared to Brawl. Because of this, I don't think that it is reliable.

Edit: The oddity with how there aren't in-between values for the Max Launch Speed seems to be present in only the Wii U version of the game. The 3DS version doesn't have this problem.

I used a few attacks against Mario in Final Destination and looked at each of the Max Launcher Speed results. After looking at those values, the ratios still seem to be similar to the ones that you can get from the formula. The rage multiplier starts to increase at 30% damage and stops increasing at 150% damage. The Launch Speeds that are shown at the end of the matches still seem to be calculated differently in contrast to Brawl.

Last edited:

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
The launching speed seems to be calculated very strangely. You can attack a target with an attack and look at the Max Launch Speed after quitting a match. After taking at least 85% damage then using the same attack, the result for Max Launch Speed changes to a larger value; there aren't any in-between values that can be recorded. Also, the way that Max Launch speed is calculated seems to be different compared to Brawl. Because of this, I don't think that it is reliable.

Edit: The oddity with how there aren't in-between values for the Max Launch Speed seems to be present in only the Wii U version of the game. The 3DS version doesn't have this problem.

I used a few attacks against Mario in Final Destination and looked at each of the Max Launcher Speed results. After looking at those values, the ratios still seem to be similar to the ones that you can get from the formula. The rage multiplier starts to increase at 30% damage and stops increasing at 150% damage. The Lauch Speeds that are shown at the end of the matches still seem to be calculated differently in contrast to Brawl.
Then I'll take both of your suggestions, thanks!
Also, If i get it correctly, what Infinity tried to say with the max launch speed is we can calculate the "bonus" of it by using that raw number.

In example, using:
:4mario:'s FSmash at 0% = 30,000 units of speed (just an example).
:4mario:'s FSmash at 50% = 32,250 units of speed
:4mario:'s FSmash at 150% = 38,750 units of speed.

Then get some difference between speeds (32,250 - 30,000 = 2,250), and finally calculate the bonus.

30,000 -> 100%
2,250 -> ?

Finally we can get the rage % of knockback bonus, resulting 7.5% bonus for rage, using the speed (in this example).
This is just hypothetical, but it might come in handy.

In addition, I know that @ LimitCrown LimitCrown has stated max speed launch might calculate different in this game, but it's still worth of taking this in mind.
In Melee, the highest knockback delivered and received by each character is given in match results, though the number lacks meaning. In Brawl, the velocity applied (in units per 1000 frames) is provided instead of the knockback value (though it's simply knockback divided by 0.03). The unit is given as "mph"; while this would presumably mean "miles per hour", this is obviously not the case, as a 1,000 mph hit barely sends characters anywhere.

If the formula is similar to Brawl (but @ LimitCrown LimitCrown stated it isn't), we can now verify the rage bonus applied directly to knockback, by simply multiplying:
  • 30,000 * 0.03 = 900 units of knockback.
  • 32,250 * 0.03 = 967.5 units of knockback.
900 -> 100%
67.5 -> ?
We still get 7.5% bonus (We should, we're only multiplying the speed by 0.03).

What do you think guys?

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
I didn't mean that the formula used for knockback is different. I meant that the way that the game calculates the Max Launch/Launcher Speed value, which is listed at the end of each match, is calculated differently. Beforehand, it was only knockback divided by 0.03. However, this doesn't seem to be the case in this game. The max launch speed value can be used to determine the knockback bonus, but I'm not completely sure about whether there aren't any significant rounding errors for that value in the 3DS version.

Top Bottom