• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Marth Guide (everything you need to know to play Marth)

What's the best move in the game?

• Total voters

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Hello beginner to advanced Marth players. I am a humble Mario main who has been playing against my friends Marth recently. He has decided that his expertise and the causes of it should be spread to other players, so that they may be as great as he is. He is probably the best Project: M player in the world, as you will undoubtedly discover after reading through this guide. Please keep in mind that I did not write this, as I lack the godlike perception of the ever changing meta game which he has.

Project M Practical Player's Guide to Marth.

I am by no means an "armchair" smash player (in fact, I usually find myself playing while sitting on folding chairs). I know that very little humor is in that remark, but it still holds true. Honestly, I have little use for particular frames per second, or anything technical. I am concerned only in practical application of techniques and winning games. Therefore, I have been led to compile a guide for those players like me, who enjoy the game, but have no want of understanding of official jargon and riff-raff terms. I have even gone to the trouble of adding in a small FAQ's section at the end of this guide. In no time, you'll have important, useful, and practical knowledge to use the next time you play Marth.

Basic Understanding

Although Marth techniques are difficult for many players to comprehend, understand and implement, I will do my best to explain the details of playing this character effectively and efficiently. While many intricacies are involved in gameplay, there are a few simple, fundamental concepts to understand. The first key concept for playing Marth lies in the forward smash. This move is useful for recovery, for combos into itself, for kill set-ups, for kills, etc. A player should ALWAYS spawn with a good forward smash from Marth. This is crucial in order to play Marth to the fullest possible potential.

Team Gameplay

While these concepts apply to individual play, the techniques differ when playing on a team. The greatest difference is that a forward smash-to-forward smash-to-forward smash team combo can be executed efficiently up to the point that your opponent(s) reaches kill percentages. Once this percentage is attained, a forward smash is the perfect kill option.

Approach Options

Anyone who has even the slightest, most minuscule amount of experience in Smash Bros. understands the great importance of an approach. Despite the fact that many approach options are convoluted and even harder yet to use, I have, through a myriad of tireless experimentation, discovered and developed the perfect approach for use by Marth players. This groundbreaking technique requires nothing more than a C-stick. I term this approach the "Forward Smash." As revolutionary as this technique may seem, it is, nevertheless, useful for players of all levels and skill-sets. The execution of the move is simple enough. The player need only to tap the C-stick in the direction which Marth is facing on-screen (obviously, toward one's opponent). Perhaps further clarification will be addressed in the following example. For the sake of stupidity, let us assume that you, a deadly Marth player (after having read this guide), are playing against an equally deadly Captain Falcon (me). Trying to approach with a conventional (and practically useless) forward air or dash attack, the Falcon has perfect spacing, reads your pitiful attempt at an approach, and lands a full-force Falcon punch, knocking you head-over-heels to defeat. Now then, this tragedy may easily be avoided by my simple procedure outlined above. Assume you are in yet another predicament. The Falcon is standing on the right-most part of the stage, facing left. He is one good hit from the edge and undeniable loss. You are attempting to approach from left to right, land a solid attack and be victorious. Rather than foolishly use a conventional approach, simply face Marth toward the enemy Falcon, move within range, and tap the C-stick to your right (in other words, in front of Marth, in the direction of Falcon). This simple action, if performed within range, will destroy Falcon and lead you to victory. Be wary however, becasue an approach such as this will so utterly destroy the Captain Falcon that he may never be able to be chosen again, thus limiting the amount of characters you are able to forward smash.

Advanced Techniques

As simple as the above techniques are, there are a few more moves which a good player needs to have on standby for very specific situational occurrences. These are listed as such:
1)Up smash
2)Neutral B
3)FRI (Forced Remote Input)
*DISCLAIMER*These last two are both HIGHLY ADVANCED TECHNIQUES, and are both useful for potential approach options. You should not (ever) attempt to use these techniques if you are not perfectly polished in the execution of them, and, in the case of the latter, are not physically fit and in good health.
1)The first technique I will touch on very little, as it is merely a variation of the fundamental Marth technique. The up smash is used for penetrating the bottom of an opponent who is in mid-air above you, and in a position where your forward smash cannot connect. This move is especially useful for penetrating your opponent in... undesirable ways.
2)The neutral B requires further skill development yet. It is a powerful move, and can be used, in certain instances for approach. However, when one has the option, one should not stray from the fundamentals of Marth playing, and stick with the tried-and-true forward smash.
3)FRI is a very risky move, but usually pays off greatly. Forced Remote Input, I have dubbed it, is the action of inputting data into your opponents' controller for your benefit and gain. It takes a good deal of physical capability in order to impose your will on your opponents' character on screen. This is an excellent approach option and leads very smoothly into a forward smash from your own character, Marth. If this procedure is repeated, one may no doubt expect that the enemy character will be defeated utterly, swiftly and with little conation.

Concluding Remarks

This brief overview gives a practical understanding to any Marth player, regardless of skill level. It has been demonstrated, throughout this short work, the fundamental techniques which will be used with great success in the field of battle. By applying all of the techniques above with painstaking efficiency and smoothness, Marth is an unmatched character. In essence, the forward smash is the single most useful, effective, and practical option for any possible use. Whether you are just spawning in or landing a game winning hit, the forward smash never fails to not only beat, but completely demoralize and obliterate opponents. By following this guide TO THE LETTER you will undoubtedly find yourself winning more matches and improving as a Marth player overall. Remember that, when in doubt, forego any other move for the time-tested dependability of the forward smash.

FAQ's
Q. Should I learn to use anything other than forward smash?
A. No, probably not.
Q. Is there anything forward smash is not useful for?
A. There is nothing it cannot be used for.
Q. Does the frame rate difference on an HD vs. a CRT screen affect my gameplay?
A. Not at all. Remember to forward smash!

Charby

Smash Journeyman
Could you post your salt elsewhere ? Thanks
PS: Oh yeah learn to wave dash out of shield, i heard it's good

Last edited:

Payton

Smash Cadet
This is literally the best guide I have ever read. I'm scared to play marth now, I don't want to break my falcon.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
So I could summarize this entire post as "use Foward Smash!"? XD

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Of all the frustratingly silly jank in PM....Marth F-smash is what has you salty? You're Falcon dude, just do what you do against every other char - DD and punish. If your friend uses F-smash so often, you should able to predict it more easily. Stop letting the salt get to you and work you up. Marth thrives on people pissing themselves and approaching him dumbly. Be patient enough to bait out his laggy moves and then go ham. If you're both in neutral and he's just waiting to F-smaah, and you know his timing is consistently on point to catch you out of approaches with it, then don't actually go in for the approach lmao. There's no reason to not let him approach you instead. Beat him at the waiting game by just DDing until he throws something out

Last edited:

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Of all the frustratingly silly jank in PM....Marth F-smash is what has you salty? You're Falcon dude, just do what you do against every other char - DD and punish. If your friend uses F-smash so often, you should able to predict it more easily. Stop letting the salt get to you and work you up. Marth thrives on people pissing themselves and approaching him dumbly. Be patient enough to bait out his laggy moves and then go ham. If you're both in neutral and he's just waiting to F-smaah, and you know his timing is consistently on point to catch you out of approaches with it, then don't actually go in for the approach lmao. There's no reason to not let him approach you instead. Beat him at the waiting game by just DDing until he throws something out
Well... First of all, I don't play Falcon. Second of all, my Marth playing friend actually did write this, and it's genius.

Last edited:
Top Bottom