• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Life Form ~ Shadow the Hedgehog for Smash Ultimate! (Maria...)

StormC

Smash Hero

Decided to make a prediction roster. Have to admit, as someone whose first major exposure to the Sonic franchise was Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, there would be something nostalgic about seeing Shadow in this game.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Yeah, Shadow wouldn't be my first choice either, that'd go to Eggman who's been there even before Tails. I just don't see Sakurai agreeing to include an additional non-echo from any third party series. If an echo is the only way, I'd make do with Shadow.

Put me down for Shadow, my first Sonic game was Adventure 2: Battle for the Gamecube, so Shadow is kinda nostalgic for me. Would love Tails, Knuckles and Eggman too but that's probably asking for way too much haha! Shame Knuckles is an assist trophy but I'm still glad he's in the game in some fashion, instead of just a background character or a trophy.

Shadow as an Echo fighter is fine with me and is probably the best chance Shadow has since I agree that it might be asking too much for a new non-echo fighter from a third party series.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Sonic Adventure 2 was one of my favorite childhood games, which has made Shadow still one of my favorite characters. And ever since Sonic was first revealed for Brawl I have been hoping for Shadow.

I'm hopeful for his chance to join the roster. But if he's not playable, then I just hope he didn't lose his assist trophy spot. I just want him to keep some role in the game.

Spinosaurus on ResetEra has noticed that Sonic's spin dash has a yellow/orange like color to it's trail.
https://i.gyazo.com/1474e96b10b9593d9097264922dc24a1.png
Weird huh?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...ion-welcome-to-the-echo-chamber.52040/page-54

What do you guys think? Intentional to differentiate Sonic's down b and side b? Or is this a hint from Sakurai that Shadow is an echo of Sonic......you never know with that madman lol.

I mean......of all the colors to chose from.......it's Shadow's....

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think? Intentional to differentiate Sonic's down b and side b? Or is this a hint from Sakurai that Shadow is an echo of Sonic......you never know with that madman lol.

I mean......of all the colors to chose from.......it's Shadow's....
People on that thread seem to believe Sonic's trail color changes if he fully charges the move.

I think that color is meant to be gold rather then Shadow's orange. Which means Shadow would probably have to go from orange to red to accurate to himself and echo this gimmick from Sonic.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So today they highlighted Sonic on the blog and the Knuckles AT, but shadow is still MIA. Good news?

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
So today they highlighted Sonic on the blog and the Knuckles AT, but shadow is still MIA. Good news?
It's possible. It certainly is quite odd that in all the footage of the demo not once did Shadow show up.
However, all this could simply be a coincidence. Maybe in a few weeks they'll show off Shadow as an AT. I just hope noone here will act too upset about this very real possiblity.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I mean, it's no more of an increase then the news of Sonic being back and Knuckles shown as an Assist Trophy and Shadow not being seen yet was back in E3 was. I don't think they were magically going to make this "Sonic Week" where they announce everything Sonic related.

I do wonder one thing though. There was only one Assist trophy announced that had an actual effect on the players, that being the returning Riki. And he wasn't in the demo. I do wonder if maybe it's just that all the Assist Trophies that have an effect on the players such as well... slowing down time... were saved among the assist trophies yet to be shown and also not in the demo because they didn't want things like possibly messing anything up if things got buggy at all. This isn't just a warning for say Shadow, could also affect Ashley for example.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
That's a good point actually. If that's the case though, then personally I would have preferred it if they just changed Shadow to be a combat Assist rather than adding Knuckles as a combat Assist. I feel like fighting up-close and personal makes more sense for Shadow rather than being a purely support based Assist. Either way, I just hope they don't cut his Assist altogether if he doesn't make it as an Echo, cause I really do like the guy, edge and all.

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
I actually like the Chaos Control move he does more. Its another reason I would be disappointed if Shadow is only being replaced by Knuckles as a assist. Having him slow down time for all your opponents is just a more unique outcome for getting the item then another guy who just runs in and attacks. Its also been a pretty useful assist for me in the past.

Honestly Shadow's continued MIA status has me both excited and anxious. It could go in any direction so far.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Hey, been a bit since I came to this thread.

Made a thread that allows people to compose short character pitches based on the character blurbs Sakurai wrote for Smash 4's project proposal. Later on, I made a couple more, one of whom was Shadow. Check it out, if you'd like.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
So thanks to all this Shadow speculation a lot of people having been spreading these "facts" about how Sakurai said he'd never add 2nd rep from a 3rd party series. Luckily, Source Gaming touched upon this topic in this video.

I thought I'd post it here since it's relevant to our discussion about his potential appearance as an Echo Fighter. I guess this gives us a slight edge on his possibility of being a fighter. Now we play the waiting game.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
As long as Shadow or any other Sonic character gets to be playable in Smash Ultimate, I have no care whether or not they’re an echo/unique fighter...I want some extra Sonic love
I actually like the Chaos Control move he does more. Its another reason I would be disappointed if Shadow is only being replaced by Knuckles as a assist. Having him slow down time for all your opponents is just a more unique outcome for getting the item then another guy who just runs in and attacks. Its also been a pretty useful assist for me in the past.

Honestly Shadow's continued MIA status has me both excited and anxious. It could go in any direction so far.
If it makes you feel better...he also digs

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
As much as I'd prefer Tails or Eggman, Shadow might be the most likely Sonic newcomer on the grounds of him being and Echo candidate.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Add my support for shadow! I really hope to see him in the game. I hope he is not an echo fighter, however, if being an echo fighter is the only way that is better then nothing.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Give this die-hard Shadow fan the support button!

I've been wanting Shadow as a playable fighter ever since Brawl over 10 years ago and if he joins, instant main (or secondary) to go alongside the growing list of mains! He's also "hands-down" my all-time favorite Sonic character.

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I was recently listening to some Sonic Heroes OST and just remembered about Team Dark's theme. I forgot how awesome it was. I'd love to see it added in Ultimate if Shadow himself is made playable.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I was recently listening to some Sonic Heroes OST and just remembered about Team Dark's theme. I forgot how awesome it was. I'd love to see it added in Ultimate if Shadow himself is made playable.

I'm a big fan of Heroes in general, but if he makes the cut, I think I'd prefer this tune to play in a trailer where he dukes it out with Sonic:

Stars don't twinkle, the moon don't shine~

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Although my most wanted Sonic character for Smash would be Blaze The Cat (yeah it's a bit of an unusual choice), I would be crazy not to want Shadow in Smash too, I still remember how much fun Sonic Adventure 2 was, when he was introduced, and seeing Super Shadow for the first time.

So count me in as a supporter for The Ultimate Life Form.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I'm a big fan of Heroes in general, but if he makes the cut, I think I'd prefer this tune to play in a trailer where he dukes it out with Sonic:

Stars don't twinkle, the moon don't shine~
I was talking mostly about it being added to a stage. Also, I'd love to see the Sonic vs Shadow race theme make it in too! However, I feel like if they were to add some theme to his trailer then It'd likely be All Hail Shadow. I wouldn't mind any theme, honestly.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I was talking mostly about it being added to a stage. Also, I'd love to see the Sonic vs Shadow race theme make it in too! However, I feel like if they were to add some theme to his trailer then It'd likely be All Hail Shadow. I wouldn't mind any theme, honestly.
To be honest, same.

It's just that with All Hail Shadow you KNOW all the people who hate Sonic are gonna come crawling outta the woodworks and complain about how cringe-y the character/music/series is and how it is an embarrassment/insult to Smash to add that content.
Those people take this stuff way too seriously, this is a dumb crossover platform fighter, lighten up. I mean, yeah, loads of Sonics stuff is dumb, but I do love how charmingly dumb SA2 is.

Then again, since Sonic is pretty consistently a good character in Smash, Shadow as an echo fighter would probably be too. Seeing Shadow get good rankings in tourney would make me a pretty happy Sonic fan, tbh.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Hi! I'm gonna give some support to Shadow as an echo fighter. Not really as a fan (I mean, the character was less interesting to me after Adventure 2) but because he is a plausible character.

I'll probably say things already said in this thread (and sorry if that's the case), but the echo fighters + his popularity really makes him a strong choice this time. He may have his own moves... He can work perfectly fine with Sonic's moveset. That's the concept behind him originally after all. Daisy prove that you can changes some animations with her idle, so Shadow can have his running animation.

And more importantly... There's more Smash games with Sonic than without him now. He became a staple of Smash / 3rd party characters. This longevity can warrant him a second character, even if it's a bonus echo fighter.

I also guess he is extremely desired, when I see all the Smash fangames featuring him.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, same.

It's just that with All Hail Shadow you KNOW all the people who hate Sonic are gonna come crawling outta the woodworks and complain about how cringe-y the character/music/series is and how it is an embarrassment/insult to Smash to add that content.
Those people take this stuff way too seriously, this is a dumb crossover platform fighter, lighten up. I mean, yeah, loads of Sonics stuff is dumb, but I do love how charmingly dumb SA2 is.

Then again, since Sonic is pretty consistently a good character in Smash, Shadow as an echo fighter would probably be too. Seeing Shadow get good rankings in tourney would make me a pretty happy Sonic fan, tbh.
Well those haters can get hit with an Omochao Gun for all I care. There's many people who want to see Shadow in Smash and All Hail Shadow is one of his more popular themes worldwide. I also know Japanese Sonic fans also love the theme, so they'd be hype to hear it too. I get the series has a lot of haters, but I've learned to ignore them. It's a waste of time paying attention to them. I know there's people out there who love the series and would be happy to see Shadow playable in Smash. Those are the people I'll be focusing on when and if it happens. It'll be one hell of a party.

Speaking of tournament play. I know 6WX really wants Shadow to be in Smash (he even talked about it a few months before Ultimate's reveal) and now since it's looking like a possibility, he's already prepared to dual main both Sonic & Shadow. He's even changed his username on Twitter to 6WX Shadow lol. Now I'm really hoping it happens. 6WX is one of my favorite Smash players to watch, so if he ends up playing both hedgehogs then I'm gonna be really happy.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Considering Shadow's popularity, if he doesn't get in as an Echo, maybe he'll be considered in his own right as DLC.

I know there's the whole "only 1 rep per third party franchise" thing, but Sakurai's broken rules before, so who knows.

Considering Shadow's popularity, if he doesn't get in as an Echo, maybe he'll be considered in his own right as DLC.

I know there's the whole "only 1 rep per third party franchise" thing
, but Sakurai's broken rules before, so who knows.
That's only a "thing" because fans have made it up. Source Gaming's video above talks about it.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Y'know if Shadow gets in, I wonder if anyone's gonna try to recreate the Super Mario Bros Z stuff.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
How do you guys see the recolors going for shadow?
I'd imagine his recolors would be a lot like Mewtwos, in that his red stripes would be recolored. His yellow costume could even be a little reference to his own games multiplayer:

Maybe there'd even be a Mephiles color.
Can't wait to hear people complain about how Smash' purity is being sullied with references to such games.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Can't wait to hear people complain about how Smash' purity is being sullied with references to such games.
Please. People are claiming the 'purity' of Smash is getting sullied with third parties in general, not to mention third parties getting more than one character. :laugh:

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
I'd imagine his recolors would be a lot like Mewtwos, in that his red stripes would be recolored. His yellow costume could even be a little reference to his own games multiplayer:

Maybe there'd even be a Mephiles color.

I think people won't mind the skin colors, I think they just care about shadow with guns.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Please. People are claiming the 'purity' of Smash is getting sullied with third parties in general, not to mention third parties getting more than one character. :laugh:
I know it is really stupid. Who cares. Sonic has so many great rep options. Shadow, Tails, Eggman. All of those make great fighter options.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I think that's very silly, people are way too concerned with numbers and amounts instead of "would adding this character make people happy".
And I think Shadow would make a number of people happy. Sure, mid-2000s were rough for Sonic and Shadow showed a lot during that time, but people generally still really like SA2.

Top Bottom