• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

D

Deleted member

Instead of Dixie getting an altered version of :ultdk:'s up-b, I wish she gets a reskinned version of :ultpeach:/:ultdaisy:'s instead.

Of course she wouldn't use a parasol but her animations would still be different, like, when her up-b is initiated, Dixie rotates about herself before slowly falling back to the ground by still rotating her ponytail.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
OK this is good for reference. IDK much about Elma's game so I played it safe with her, but if Rex, Pyra and Shulk overshadow Elma I'm not gonna put too much thought in her.

Springman so far seems to be Inklings in SSB4 scenario, so I agree with you there, and I mostly forgot about Capt Toad for the same reason as basically deconfirmed. So, I would set the Relevancy List as:

-New Pokemon
-Inklings
-Bandana Dee
-Skull Kid
-Dixie Kong

And of course, the Fanservice List is:
-K. Rool
-Ridley
-Isaac
-Geno
-Chrom
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Dark Samus
-Daisy

Honestly Skull Kid could be on the fanservice list as Young Link is basically relevant due to Majora's Mask, but he's in for "Everyone is Here". Also I'd put Rayman in the Relevance side, due to Legends coming out in 2013 and Ubisoft's presence with Nintendo.

All in all, this is open for discussion, everybody. Feel free to contribute to the brainstorming of standout relevant characters and fanservice. If we can see a bunch of angles so we don't get hit by surprises that'll be good.
I wouldn't count out Elma, Xenoblade X was a major game for nintendo back in 2015 and a port is very likely on the way, she's also gonna be in Xenoblade 2 soon. Without Rex as competition she's very possible and she seems like a very sakurai choice, it's like she was made to be a smash character and the moveset would be so natural. Plus there's that mech that sakurai bought as well.

It's worth noting that her game also ends on a cliffhanger, and monolith have said they want to make a direct sequel so the character has a future.

You forgot isabelle as well as a relevancy pick too.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
OK this is good for reference. IDK much about Elma's game so I played it safe with her, but if Rex, Pyra and Shulk overshadow Elma I'm not gonna put too much thought in her.

Springman so far seems to be Inklings in SSB4 scenario, so I agree with you there, and I mostly forgot about Capt Toad for the same reason as basically deconfirmed. So, I would set the Relevancy List as:

-New Pokemon
-Inklings
-Bandana Dee
-Skull Kid
-Dixie Kong

And of course, the Fanservice List is:
-K. Rool
-Ridley
-Isaac
-Geno
-Chrom
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Dark Samus
-Daisy

Honestly Skull Kid could be on the fanservice list as Young Link is basically relevant due to Majora's Mask, but he's in for "Everyone is Here". Also I'd put Rayman in the Relevance side, due to Legends coming out in 2013 and Ubisoft's presence with Nintendo.

All in all, this is open for discussion, everybody. Feel free to contribute to the brainstorming of standout relevant characters and fanservice. If we can see a bunch of angles so we don't get hit by surprises that'll be good.
Shantae can also be said to be relevant thanks to Pirate's Curse.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
I just saw a new gameplay video with K Rool in it, so (apparently) it's a new demo build.
its a video on the official channel Nintendo UK
saying

King K. Rool and Snake battle it out in this special 1 vs. 1 battle captured by the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate development team.

so i dont think so.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
EDIT : sorry double post...computer is slow today at work :D

i supose its because i got 12 firefox windows from gamescon....haha

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
That isn't how that works. Corrin didn't take anybody's spot, if Sakurai wanted to make Dixie playable he would have done so alongside Corrin. The only answer there is to the question is that he just didn't want to make her playable for one reason or another (as lame as that answer is).
It's exactly what I said, tho: Sakurai preferred to advertize Corrin upon every other possibility (so Dixie included; overall considering Dixie (and Inkling) was almost the only one more or less in the same Corrin's situation)

Please, I follow smash for ages, I read very often Sourcegaming and so on, I know how it works. But this doesn't change the facts: there were 7 dlcs characters, all returning veterans or third parties but one: that one was chosen to be Corrin, a flavour of the month character of an already over represented series only in order to advertize a (mediocre) 3ds game

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
yep dixies definitely dead in the water now, lock the thread, see you all for smash 6

for real though, i dont think this matters much. if the dev team wants to have dixie in the game they would have dixie in the game. i don't think there's actually any strict guidelines for what an echo can be within development, it's just whatever they need to do for the character that they think is necessary. if they try to make her an echo and it doesnt work, they'll either cut her or just not classify her as an echo and give her more stuff thats unique. idk

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
I hope people start moving away from the idea that Echoes can be different and have new attacks now.
maybe . and i understand why you say that....
but if it doesn't sound good for Dixie echo...it doesn't sound good for Dixie at all.

don't know how you can be happy about that. because Dixie chance is low for a new NEWCOMER.

Maybe sakurai can add Dixie as a semi-echo ;)
"we started developping dixie kong as a echo but that don't work really well..and she is more a semi-clone now.. ENJOY and don't ask anything again"

Last edited:

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I still find that Final Fantasy song thing super confusing. I'm pretty sure the song rights belong to the composer Nobuo Uematsu, who retired from Square and went freelance long ago. During his freelance days, he composed Brawl's main theme. So he's already cooperated with Sakurai before. I don't see why he wouldn't be happy with more Final Fantasy music in Ultimate, as his music is among the best in video games and he himself is a very reasonable and friendly guy. He was even on board with a huge number of compositions he made being in Final Fantasy XV despite having left Square on some bad terms back in the day. Imo there has to be something else going on with the music situation.

Also no one should sell Isaac short, I keep telling everyone this, but I'm fairly sure he's still a top supported character. His legacy of Smash support runs even longer than Dixie's and his status as the headline of an unrepresented IP that was actually massively successful has put him in contention for support around the world for a decade. He's arguably less niche than characters like Geno and Skull Kid, and has a following comparable to K Rool. People want to see a new and better Golden Sun game almost as fiercely as they wanted to see DK's Bowser return, and Smash is the way to revive it. Plus unique potential and such. I don't know why everyone thinks Isaac is localized to only the hardcore fanbase.

I just asked one of my closest friends (who's not a major part of the speculation scene) a few days ago who he'd like to see as a newcomer, and his response was a Golden Sun character of some kind. Another good friend fondly remembers the series and replays it every couple years, and even though he isn't a big Smash player, when i asked him what he would think of Isaac in Smash, he said "i would probably buy it if he got in, he'd be so cool". There's a lot of recognition for Golden Sun even outside of "some guy from a GBA game with a sword and Earth powers named Isaac that a few people want in Smash". Golden Sun means something to people.
"an unrepresented IP that was actually massively successful" - I wouldn't say massively but yeah golden sun on gba was quite successful but also a niche game in Europe and japan. I'm from Germany and golden sun is not very well known here, I'm a big Nintendo fan and even though I didn't play one of the golden sun games, I still heard of it back then. But friends of mine who played smash bros brawl out of fun and are not the typical Nintendo fanboys didn't know who Isaac was.
I think he might be better known in north America? I just wonder why he was excluded from smash 4, because it would have made sense if he returned as an assist trophy because the latest entry on the ds.
I also think it's funny that fans of the series want another game, because they didn't support the latest game on ds? So why would the developers make a new one now? For the "fans"? The ds was extremely successful and the game was made by the same studio and people who made the other two games on gba and critics weren't that bad, but still no one bought it.
I can understand that people didn't buy the dk games after the rare buyout because they were all spin offs and Nintendo finally listened to us and we got a proper dk game.
So I don't think the "fans" are deserving another golden sun game. I don't mind isaac being in smash ultimate as a playable fighter, but I don't know what sakurai's opinion of Isaac is as waluigi is also extremely popular and is an assist trophy and didn't make it into the game.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
It's exactly what I said, tho: Sakurai preferred to advertize Corrin upon every other possibility (so Dixie included; overall considering Dixie (and Inkling) was almost the only one more or less in the same Corrin's situation)

Please, I follow smash for ages, I read very often Sourcegaming and so on, I know how it works. But this doesn't change the facts: there were 7 dlcs characters, all returning veterans or third parties but one: that one was chosen to be Corrin, a flavour of the month character of an already over represented series only in order to advertize a (mediocre) 3ds game
I'd argue Fates is a great game as far Fire Emblem gameplay goes, possibly the best in the series. It's really let down by horrendous writing that takes the game's unique concept and soils it beyond all repair.

Considering Fates was the most successful Fire Emblem game of all time and turned the series into a main Nintendo IP, a process that Awakening had only just started, means that Sakurai's gambit was successful. Whether or not people agree with the decision or liked Fates, Sakurai helped save the series from degradation by pushing it's main character in Smash. Smash is also what brought Fire Emblem overseas in the first place after Melee came out. Also worth noting that Roy got in Melee over characters like Wario and Dedede despite his game not even existing yet. Corrin is not the first time this happened.

Regardless, the DLC was three fan favorites coming back, three jaw droppers, and one very business-savvy advertisement character. Dixie's game was already past it's sales prime on Wii U, as the game was more than a year old when the DLC wrapped up, and Tropical Freeze had already been successful, especially by the standards of the Wii U. There was no reason to push her anymore. She wasn't a jaw-dropper like Ryu or Cloud, a veteran that everyone had cried foul on being missing, or the central character of an upcoming big release. Were Tropical Freeze released at a different time, things might have been different.

Which is why Ultimate is a whole new ball game. She has another shot at the base roster, a place where characters like her belong.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
yep dixies definitely dead in the water now, lock the thread, see you all for smash 6

for real though, i dont think this matters much. if the dev team wants to have dixie in the game they would have dixie in the game. i don't think there's actually any strict guidelines for what an echo can be within development, it's just whatever they need to do for the character that they think is necessary. if they try to make her an echo and it doesnt work, they'll either cut her or just not classify her as an echo and give her more stuff thats unique. idk
Honestly there's still the very real possibility they use diddy as a base and make her a unique character based off of his rig, they could literally even just use an altered version of diddy's model if they really wanted, like even making dixie unique would take less time than other characters.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Where did they confirm that?
Saw a tag #NintendoGC as one of the Nintendo UK's tags under the videos, so maybe?

its a video on the official channel Nintendo UK
saying

King K. Rool and Snake battle it out in this special 1 vs. 1 battle captured by the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate development team.
Aww dang, I guess not so sure-fire after all. This might be a long wait incase the demo's no new. :ohwell:

Klimax

Smash Ace
Hmm, I'm still 100% convinced that Dixie is in as a Diddy's echo, they just have to give her Donkey Kong UP B. With her, it'll looks perfect.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Hmm, I'm still 100% convinced that Dixie is in as a Diddy's echo, they just have to give her Donkey Kong UP B. With her, it'll looks perfect.
Yes, and beside that, also Geno as echo of Ness, it'll look perfect as well

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
Yes, and beside that, also Geno as echo of Ness, it'll look perfect as well
Being that salty and attacking a character that i support just because i said something that you don't like is childish. ESPECIALLY when I support Dixie more than I support Geno. :laugh:

I said many times in this thread that Dixie is one of the few Nintendo all stars who's still not playable and that she 100% deserves a spot as a unique fighter. But we have to face the facts, the moment to show her as a unique fighter was during the King K Rool trailer and they didn't.

Diddy and Dixie body types are the same, they removed Diddy's tail attack, we didn't see his pink alt, we know that an echo can have a move from another character. And Donkey Kong UP Special with Dixie's would look like her helicopter move in DKC2. So yeah I'm pretty convinced that she's in the game as Diddy's echo and it sounds better than nothing.

And i would LOVE to say "don't worry, Geno is in the game as a Ness' echo, i don't have any doubt about it". Because it's better than nothing. But hey, you can continue to rage about any character I support if that makes you feel better.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Being that salty and attacking a character that i support just because i said something that you don't like is childish. ESPECIALLY when I support Dixie more than I support Geno. :laugh:

I said many times in this thread that Dixie is one of the few Nintendo all stars who's still not playable and that she 100% deserves a spot as a unique fighter. But we have to face the facts, the moment to show her as a unique fighter was during the King K Rool trailer and they didn't.

Diddy and Dixie body types are the same, they removed Diddy's tail attack, we didn't see his pink alt, we know that an echo can have a move from another character. And Donkey Kong UP Special with Dixie's would look like her helicopter move in DKC2. So yeah I'm pretty convinced that she's in the game as Diddy's echo and it sounds better than nothing.

And i would LOVE to say "don't worry, Geno is in the game as a Ness' echo, i don't have any doubt about it". Because it's better than nothing. But hey, you can continue to rage about any character I support if that makes you feel better.
I can't speak for Spatman, but I'm taking what he said as a joke and running with it in an attempt to be funny. No salt from me in this case LOL

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Oh my....! I know who some of the remaining characters are, a friend of mine who works at Nintendo Europe and has access to the new Gamescom demo found more characters in the code of the game. Apparently the leak that had Richter Belmont in it which also stated that dark samus and chrom being in the game, was right. The "leaker" found obscure characters in the game's code like gardevoir and gothitelle, but they don't seem to be in the game, according to my friend they were planned but scrapped later on. I'm not a programmer or something, I just tell you what he found out.
These are the Newcomers:

Rowlet (I'm just glad it's not incineroar!)
Skull Kid
Bandana Waddle Dee (I was hoping for another Kirby rep like marx)
Geno
Banjo & kazooie (can't believe this...)
Dixie Kong (I knew it!!!!)
Shadow
Ken
Isabelle

He doesn't know if that's all because it seems there were many characters planned (there is a file for cranky kong??, but it's probably one of the scrapped ones like gardevoir or like the forbidden 7 in smash brawl) which still have placeholders or something like that.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

He's being silly anyway.

We all know Geno will be a Mii Gunner Echo.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Oh my....! I know who some of the remaining characters are, a friend of mine who works at Nintendo Europe and has access to the new Gamescom demo found more characters in the code of the game. Apparently the leak that had Richter Belmont in it which also stated that dark samus and chrom being in the game, was right. The "leaker" found obscure characters in the game's code like gardevoir and gothitelle, but they don't seem to be in the game, according to my friend they were planned but scrapped later on. I'm not a programmer or something, I just tell you what he found out.
These are the Newcomers:

Skull Kid
Geno
Shadow
Ken
Isabelle

He doesn't know if that's all because it seems there were many characters planned (there is a file for cranky kong??, but it's probably one of the scrapped ones like gardevoir or like the forbidden 7 in smash brawl) which still have placeholders or something like that.
Well, that's hard to believe

He's being silly anyway.

We all know Geno will be a Mii Gunner Echo.
Nope he's a Rowlet's echo fighter.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
These are the Newcomers:

Skull Kid
Geno
Shadow
Ken
Isabelle

Bro, I WANT TO BELIEVE YOU, but without proof I simply can't. But damn if this is legit, I like this list. "Not too many newcomers"....

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
So since Tiny Kong was referenced in Super Mario Odyessey, is it possible it’s a hint she will return in the next game? I hope she does!

Ghostwolf35

Smash Cadet
Bro, I WANT TO BELIEVE YOU, but without proof I simply can't. But damn if this is legit, I like this list. "Not too many newcomers"....
Yeah, I have no reason to believe this is real, but I think it's a good list too. But are the top 5 unique fighters and the bottom 4 echos? Because if that was the case, then Dixie would be an echo. :/

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yeah, I have no reason to believe this is real, but I think it's a good list too. But are the top 5 unique fighters and the bottom 4 echos? Because if that was the case, then Dixie would be an echo. :/
Not sure. Personally I was hoping for 6 more Uniques to get an even number of 10, so I was interpreting the bottom 3 to be echoes since Ken's on the list.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
These are the Newcomers:

Skull Kid
Geno
Shadow
Ken
Isabelle

The only problem is that we've all heard stuff like this plenty of times before. I'm not saying you don't have a friend that works for Nintendo of Europe, because none of us are any the wiser about your personal life.

But 1. That said friend is claiming to have been able to hack into a demo that hasn't even been confirmed to exist yet, 2. That Sakurai left such easily accessible data out in the open like that, 3. That this roster happens to be a great dream roster (only really missing Isaac) and 4. That this looks like half of the other supposedly "leaked" rosters out there.

All leads me to believe that your friend is playing himself up because tensions are so high anticipating this new game. Great overall roster though, minus the missing Isaac.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
These are the Newcomers:

Skull Kid
Geno
Shadow
Ken
Isabelle

Rowlet makes a lot of sense, as he/she huge in Japan.

How reliable is your friend? I hope Dixie is not an Echo if this ends up being true. Then again, if this is our final roster and Dixie is an Echo, we’d have 8 unique and 8 Echo characters...

Not sure. Personally I was hoping for 6 more Uniques to get an even number of 10, so I was interpreting the bottom 3 to be echoes since Ken's on the list.
Well if the past Smash Direct is any indication, and if we get two more exclusive Directs (October and December?) then we’d probably be getting 5 more unique newcomers, with 1 being revealed in a general Nintendo Direct.

Of course that’s being optimistic and pushing it a little, but we can hope :)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
These are the Newcomers:

Skull Kid
Geno
Shadow
Ken
Isabelle

I don't know how to tell you this, but I think your friend might be pulling your leg.

So since Tiny Kong was referenced in Super Mario Odyessey, is it possible it’s a hint she will return in the next game? I hope she does!
Was she mentioned on a street sign like Rool? Would be good though, yes.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
It appears to me that Chrom and Dark Samus are 1:1 copies, in terms of attack animations. With the exception of Chrom’a Up-B of course.
A few of Chrom's moves are different from Roy, namely because Roy uses a reverse grip on his sword and Chrom doesn't. He actually has a unique forward tilt and Final Smash too. And mechanically, many of his attacks are also different (his Up Smash hits only three times vs Roy's five).

So it really is still ambiguous overall. But the only time Sakurai's team has ever failed to do a character justice is Ganondorf, so they have a good track record overall. Dark Samus, Daisy and Chrom are all less significant than Dixie, in their home series and in the gaming consciousness at large, so she may be an echo that stretches the moniker to it's absolute limits if she becomes one. Every echo has been a bit of a twist compared to the others, so who's to say Dixie can't break the mold in a more unique way?

Either way, as long as we aren't getting literally Diddy with a ponytail, it should be fine.

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
am i the only one who think it's sad this stage is not in Ultimate?
ok....the normal version is not that good but the final destination look was always my fav one... :(

1534875062302.png

i can't believe all stages are in the game and i just thinking about this one that i love and use so much ( in fact, this stage is listed as my favorite one in the data record game )

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
Honestly, i find hard to believe the Marcello691 Marcello691 , i don't know, Rowlet ? Really ? I can't see it happening.
But hey, i'm fine with it if it's true (the leak looks so good that i wouldn't even be mad for my boy Incineroar).

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Sorry Guys, I was just bored today, so I came up with all this. I saw that new "leak" and I'm just tired of it, so I created my own "leak".
I'm very sorry if I got someone's hope up, but the amount of those called "leaks" is ridiculous. I'm very impatient too and want Dixie in this game as playable character so badly. Guess we just have to wait.
Btw here is the link to the newest "leak":

https://www.thenerdmag.com/rumor-super-smash-bros-ultimate-leak-by-nintendo-employee/

Top Bottom