• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The true meaning of mindgames, revealed

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord
By none other than Ken himself.

Sephiroth Ken (11:46:43 PM):mindgames are the ability to read your opponent's next moves

My friend asked me what mindgames are, because he says mindgames this, and mindgames that. So I was telling him otherwise(basically the difference between a simple trickery and a "mindgame"). To be honest, I have no definition on mindgames, so I tld him "i don't have a definition", but I can sort of see it happening in a match. But yeah, he was saying using a moonwalk to juke a marth into missing a fsmash is a full on mindgame, and we were basically arguing over the intraweb with our angry fingers on the keyboard for about 20 minutes. I was just trying to get him to stop calling every little thing a mindgame, cuz it was getting pretty annoying...But yeah, the talk flew from me opposing his marth missing a fsmash statement to a full on degree of the difference of a simple juke to a so called "mindgame" to it ending with him saying "aren't mindgames and tricking the same thing? it's just fancier to say mindgames, so I like saying mindgames" where I gave up. Well, I'm not really sure at all on how to explain this, and I don't think any of you can too well, but whatever, discuss. I know it's a pretty pointless topic and something similar was done before.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
I would have to say your friend is right, a mindgame isn't JUST predicting your opponent, it's doing something to draw out a predicted action that you can capitalize on, in this case a Falcon moonwalking to get a Marth to miss an f-smash.

sto0fo0

Smash Rookie
Its definitely both in my opinion, I think part of drawing an action from your opponent is predicting what they do in current situations and capitalizing on their mistakes.

Fefnir Cerveau

Smash Lord
Yeah, what I was trying to point out there was to make him stop calling everything mindgames. But at the same time, I was saying that prediction and juking(and others) are part of a bigger thing, called "mindgames"

Top Bottom