• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Theory of Taunting

ThatLittleRobot

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone! This is actually my first post on this website, but I've been lurking for a long time. I've been playing smash for a long time, but I actually started with Brawl. Worked my way up to Project M, and then Melee.

But enough about me, I want to share my thoughts and ideas on a topic I've been thinking of for a while. I haven't seen anyone do a post like this yet; I don't really know if anyone has actually done one, but I still want to share this with you either way.

Smash Bros. and Mentallity

When it comes to Smash Bros., the whole game, no matter what entry, is a battle of mental skill. Yes, doing multishines and wavedashes do require physical (hand) skill, but you don't need to know how to do these perfectly to beat someone. Take Westballz for an example. (I'm not saying the guy is dumb, I love Westballz) He is very skilled when it comes to his Falco play. He can pretty much multishine with his eyes closed. But he still loses to some people who don't have that level of tech skill, but are still good at the game mentally.

The Idea of Taunting

Taunting is a mechanic that has been in every installment of the Super Smash Brothers series. It can be used in many different ways, but is mostly used for angering or frustrating your opponent. Taunting has a different effect on everyone, it just depends on the person. However, it can result in the opponent being angry and attacking with full force without thinking about other things in the game. Have you ever heard the term, "Taunt-to-get-bodied combo"? This happens because either the person that used the taunt didn't finish the animation, and was punished because of that, or the person wasn't able to escape a combo that they didn't see coming. But do you realize how these people who get taunted at immediately run and start attacking? This is what my point leads to. The idea of using taunts to lead the enemy into your hands and attack back.

So, this was my first post on the board! (It was also very short!) Sorry if it seemed like I was babbling, I just wanted to share this thought/opinion with you guys and see how you guys like it. I hope to contribute to other threads and make more posts like this one! See you guys later.

EmpireCrusher203

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-7161-9170
Welcome!

Well, while yes taunting is a very disrespectful action, hehe, I believe that the true reason that taunt-to-bodied combos exist is because the person taunting is gettign to ahead of himself, thus feeling unstoppable and underestimating their opponent. However, taunting isn't the only way this works. Depending on the person, losing a match actually causes them to go "super saiyan" and completely destroy the other person with a HUGE comeback. I do this a lot with Diddy Kong, where after losing a stock, I read the opponent, get a grab, do a 30% combo, instantly read my opponent's reaction into another grab, into another 30%. I am known for doing this a LOT, especially with my friends.
Taunting alone isn't the only reason why the taunt-to-bodied combo works, its also one's fighting pride and dignity that pushes them above their limits and therefore do an insane conversion. Taunting is only making the person more furious, since now they have their self-respect on the line.

If only I played like this all the time :/

ThatLittleRobot

Smash Rookie
Welcome!

Well, while yes taunting is a very disrespectful action, hehe, I believe that the true reason that taunt-to-bodied combos exist is because the person taunting is gettign to ahead of himself, thus feeling unstoppable and underestimating their opponent. However, taunting isn't the only way this works. Depending on the person, losing a match actually causes them to go "super saiyan" and completely destroy the other person with a HUGE comeback. I do this a lot with Diddy Kong, where after losing a stock, I read the opponent, get a grab, do a 30% combo, instantly read my opponent's reaction into another grab, into another 30%. I am known for doing this a LOT, especially with my friends.
Taunting alone isn't the only reason why the taunt-to-bodied combo works, its also one's fighting pride and dignity that pushes them above their limits and therefore do an insane conversion. Taunting is only making the person more furious, since now they have their self-respect on the line.

If only I played like this all the time :/
Thanks for responding! I can understand where you come from, as that happens to me a lot as well. (The getting taunted to destroying part) I always find it surprising when it happens, then I get sad I can't replicate normally when I play. lol

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Taunting is an in game mechanic. The fact that some people get tilted by it amazes me. Whenever anyone taunts against me, I don't see it as a disrespect thing. I see it as an in game mechanic, which is what it is. I feel very neutral about taunting, but I realize it tilts so many people which is why I use it more than I should.

Also, welcome to smashboards

Top Bottom