• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS The technical skill required to craft such a game on the 3DS

Maripu

Smash Cadet
Is anyone else simply blown away that they were able to make such a high-speed fighting game with a large character roster on the 3DS? I was very skeptical of how it would work out before purchasing the game. While I thought the cel-shade graphics would be disappointing, but they look nice, especially in low-3D setting. What do yall think?

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
The framerate absolutely blew me away. I never expected to see something so smooth and so beautiful on such a tiny screen.

Elixir Soup

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stickkid12
3DS FC
5069-4931-8546
When I first started playing on release date, the framerate felt weird to me because most 3DS games run at like 30 frames. The graphics are amazing and the amount of modes and characters on one cart..

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Very pleased with it. After completely dismissing the idea of the need for the 3ds and wishing for an expidited console release instead... I really am impressed with everything they got into this little system. I will sometimes turn 3D on for replays but generally (as with most games tbh) I have it toggled off while playing.

SN3AK

Smash Cadet
For real, I remember watching streams of the japanese version on twitch, and then actually playing the demo, it was quite a welcome surprise that everything looked so nice

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Yeah I guess, I wasn't expecting it to be bad at all, it's a little lackluster for a handheld title but it's a good first go for a handheld

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Lackluster o_o
as in dull, as in not compelling, as in meh?

123 hours already of battle time for me. Back in the day, if I pulled 100 hours on a pokemon game that was a more than 'complete' feeling run. If the Wii U version wasn't coming out, I would be no where near my conclusion with this. (and it still might be played depending on the circumstance, portability does offer great flexibility.)

We're all entitled to our opinions, I'll just count my taste as lackluster to you as well, which is no problem lol.

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
The framerate is downright sexy. If anybody told me about the content and performance of Smash 3DS, I never would have believed them. The roster size in particular blew me away. Never thought that the 3DS could accomodate 51 fleshed-out characters, as well as a bountiful aray of reskins, custom moves, and great animations.

Last edited:

Spirst

Yeah I guess, I wasn't expecting it to be bad at all, it's a little lackluster for a handheld title but it's a good first go for a handheld
Interesting. I think it's very good for a handheld title considering it's a portable Smash game with 49 (soon to be 50) characters and runs at 60 fps. The graphics are surprisingly nice for a portable title as well.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Sakaurai and his team did an absolutely fantastic job at creating such a smooth, good looking Smash Bros. game on the 3DS and I still have a hard time believing that I'm playing Smash Bros. on the go. The amount of content is also staggering and I never expected the 3DS version to have tons of modes or 400 pieces of music like some people did. Smash Bros. 3DS is definitely a game that is of high quality and it shows. I love it!! <3

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
If you are not impressed nor pleased with Smash 3DS you are either

a) too young to remember previous old school consoles and handhelds, or the time before even they existed
or
b) jaded and would benefit from a fresh perspective

Is the game perfect? far from it. would i have done somethings differently? absolutely. Does this mean the game is somehow lacking in quality or that you/me/us could have done a better job? hells no!

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Interesting. I think it's very good for a handheld title considering it's a portable Smash game with 49 (soon to be 50) characters and runs at 60 fps. The graphics are surprisingly nice for a portable title as well.
Well the 49 characters don't really mean that much to me because I only really like to use 14 of them, I hate the stage selection to be honest and the lack of options for solo play are ridiculous considering this is a handheld title, if the multiplayer didn't exist this game would be far from acceptable. That's just me though.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
If the multiplayer didn't exist...

If the pokemon didn't exist... bad
if the tetris pieces were all long pieces... bad
if peach was never captured to begin with... bad
(and to piggy back another point... I only really like a handful of the 150 pokemon, so why did they waste their time with the rest? bad)

as far as the most well received handheld games go... they sound pretty bad with what ifs too. This is smash brothers... if the multiplayer didn't exist? really?

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
If you are not impressed nor pleased with Smash 3DS you are either

a) too young to remember previous old school consoles and handhelds, or the time before even they existed
or
b) jaded and would benefit from a fresh perspective

Is the game perfect? far from it. would i have done somethings differently? absolutely. Does this mean the game is somehow lacking in quality or that you/me/us could have done a better job? hells no!
Every creator feels they could've done a better job. Also don't you think it's a little bit presumptuous of you to assume that every player who might not be as impressed as you with the game fit into these two categories?

Using the "game's were worse back then" argument doesn't prove anything, you're basically saying that "this game isn't as good as anything recent so let's compare it something I know is worse that'll make it better"

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
If the multiplayer didn't exist...

If the pokemon didn't exist... bad
if the tetris pieces were all long pieces... bad
if peach was never captured to begin with... bad
(and to piggy back another point... I only really like a handful of the 150 pokemon, so why did they waste their time with the rest? bad)

as far as the most well received handheld games go... they sound pretty bad with what ifs too. This is smash brothers... if the multiplayer didn't exist? really?
Okay, I see you're angry about my opinion, but how am I wrong about that when talking about smash for the 3ds?

Also might wanna look at this might help your arguments

http://youtu.be/cGZkCPo7tC0

Last edited:

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
Every creator feels they could've done a better job. Also don't you think it's a little bit presumptuous of you to assume that every player who might not be as impressed as you with the game fit into these two categories?

Using the "game's were worse back then" argument doesn't prove anything, you're basically saying that "this game isn't as good as anything recent so let's compare it something I know is worse that'll make it better"
well then i hope that every "creator" is either developing their own superior alternative or at the very least using an already existing game and other companies intellectual property to "create" their "own" game. No offense if you include yourself in the "creator" category, I would love to see some of your work lolz

and how is that presumptuous? those are the only two possible categories that one can belong in... obviously this serious post makes this fact clearly evident. normally i would resent that comment and point out the fact that you are no more presumptuous as you just spoke for all creators everywhere. Except that obviously you DO speak for them all, this is known

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
The game missed a lot of opportunities, but overall it's a very good game. They must have pushed all the technology possible to make this game. This game is way too smooth with frame rate. Stop playing it, played MK and omg felt like Brawl Ganon. Now if this game had online Smash Run, better management of rewards instead of being a tedious dumb luck based grindfest, more solitario modes, and better stage selection, I would totally accept Smash 3DS.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
The framerate is beautiful, but I'm still a little salty that Pikmin move like robots and act like children. If children run away everytime you try to do a smash attack and jump off stage for no reason.

Last edited:

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
well then i hope that every "creator" is either developing their own superior alternative or at the very least using an already existing game and other companies intellectual property to "create" their "own" game. No offense if you include yourself in the "creator" category, I would love to see some of your work lolz

and how is that presumptuous? those are the only two possible categories that one can belong in... obviously this serious post makes this fact clearly evident. normally i would resent that comment and point out the fact that you are no more presumptuous as you just spoke for all creators everywhere. Except that obviously you DO speak for them all, this is known
Well humans by nature strive to become better that's why we've evolved into our society and that's also why we have sequels to to beloved games such as smash bros. you're right though I was being presumptuous in assuming everyone with a talent wants to better themselves in the things they enjoy to do.

Spirst

The framerate is beautiful, but I'm still a little salty that Pikmin move like robots and act like children. If children run away everytime you try to do a smash attack and jump off stage for no reason.
Unfortunately, the 30 FPS pikmin are a trade-off in maintaining an overall smooth framerate. When I first saw it, I thought it looked really really awkward.

Now, I still do, actually. Just never play Olimar.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Unfortunately, the 30 FPS pikmin are a trade-off in maintaining an overall smooth framerate. When I first saw it, I thought it looked really really awkward.

Now, I still do, actually. Just never play Olimar.
The salt comes from the fact that I try to use Olimar, so I have to look at it all the time. It's barely noticeable in things like Pokemon, assist trophies, etc.

I also find it funny that Olimar only has 10 sounds, but that's off topic.

Spirst

The salt comes from the fact that I try to use Olimar, so I have to look at it all the time. It's barely noticeable in things like Pokemon, assist trophies, etc.

I also find it funny that Olimar only has 10 sounds, but that's off topic.
Yeah, that must suck. And wow, I never noticed that before and went to check it and sure enough, 10 sound clips. The character whose sound effects I want to hear, Duck Hunt, isn't even listed in the voices menu. Odd.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
Well humans by nature strive to become better that's why we've evolved into our society and that's also why we have sequels to to beloved games such as smash bros. you're right though I was being presumptuous in assuming everyone with a talent wants to better themselves in the things they enjoy to do.
LOL "evolved into our society" Biology and Sociology are two different things bruh

We also have sequels because of the almighty dollar, specifically capitalism. Yes, it is human nature to improve. That is not our subject of debate however... and if it was the debate would be rather short since you and I as well as most others would all agree.

For being a handheld game, particularly one with so much going on, even when only compared to other games released on the 3ds, how is it NOT progress- to develop a successful smash game for the 3ds and Wii U both? The reason that I happen to be impressed with this game is BECAUSE OF THE PROGRESS that I have personally witnessed in the video game industry and consumer electronics during my lifetime thus far , its fascinating. not sure how many times I will need to repeat the fact that I think smash 3ds is FAR from perfect....yet rather than focus on what is wrong and or missing why not focus on the positive?

Last edited:

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
LOL "evolved into our society" Biology and Sociology are two different things bruh

We also have sequels because of the almighty dollar, specifically capitalism. Yes, it is human nature to improve. That is not our subject of debate however... and if it was the debate would be rather short since you and I as well as most others would all agree.

For being a handheld game, particularly one with so much going on, even when only compared to other games released on the 3ds, how is it NOT progress- to develop a successful smash game for the 3ds and Wii U both? The reason that I happen to be impressed with this game is BECAUSE OF THE PROGRESS that I have personally witnessed in my lifetime thus far, its fascinating. not sure how many times I will need to repeat the fact that I think smash 3ds is FAR from perfect....yet rather than focus on what is wrong and or missing why not focus on the positive?
So you don't know that evolution has two definitions? Okay.

I'm glad you'd agree with that point, I was starting to think you were a lazy bum, but to be honest I am aware of the fact that you don't assume the game is perfect but don't assume I think all of the game is bad, I like the gameplay, I like the online but I don't think any game is above critique no matter what franchise it's from and no matter what hardware it's on.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
So you don't know that evolution has two definitions? Okay.

I'm glad you'd agree with that point, I was starting to think you were a lazy bum, but to be honest I am aware of the fact that you don't assume the game is perfect but don't assume I think all of the game is bad, I like the gameplay, I like the online but I don't think any game is above critique no matter what franchise it's from and no matter what hardware it's on.
LOL I sincerely apologize just fyi, sometimes I slip into a tollish mood and argue or contradict people for kicks.....I think it comes from a certain forum that I used to frequent for years haha. Nothing man produces or creates is perfect because mankind is in of itself imperfect so naturally Smash or any other game that has been made or ever will be is guaranteed to have imperfections or aspects that not everyone will enjoy lol yet from the way people act sometimes you would think perfection is a real thing instead of being not only improbable but also certainly impossible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom