• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Super Smash Brothers League 2.000

clubbadubba

Smash Master
The Second Season Of the Super Smash Brothers League: SSBL 2.000

It’s what you’ve all been waiting for, the SSBL is back for another season! If you were living under a rock and don’t know about the coolest thing ever, the SSBL is a Smash league put together much the same way as the NFL is. There will be a regular season, at the end of which the best of the best will go on to the playoffs, which is essentially a single elimination tournament. This time around, the results will affect the SBR Online Rating Project! There are only going to be 12 spots, so sign up NOW!

The previous season can be found here for the curious: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=305831

Differences from last season for the lazy:

[COLLAPSE="Hide"]-12 players instead of 16
-Only 3 players instead of 4 per division
-10 games instead of 14, so 5 weeks instead of 7
-Instead of ties and double losses, I will flip a coin for wins and losses if I cannot make a definitive win-loss judgment
-Playoffs are best of 7, not best of 9
-If you know in advance you won’t be able to play one week, let me know and something will be worked out
-This event WILL BE RATED in the SBR Online Rating Project (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=306764)
-The divisions will be created first by using the SBR rankings as seeding, and then unrated players will be randomly placed
[/COLLAPSE]

Structure:

[COLLAPSE="hide"]The structure of this will be very similar to that of the NFL, for those who follow football. The league will be divided into 2 conferences. Within each conference, there will be 2 divisions, each consisting of 3. The general schedule will be comprised of the following matches:

-2 matches against each division opponent (4 games)

-Each division will play the other division within its conference from top to bottom. For example, ‘player A’ in Division 1 will play every player in Division 2 once. (3 games)

-Each division will play one other division from the other conference from top to bottom. (3 games)

With 12 participants, this totals 10 games. At 2 games a week, this means the regular season will take 5 weeks, which is shorter than last year, so hopefully people can stay into it the whole time.

At the end of the season, the division winners and 2 wildcards from each conference will be invited to the playoffs. Playoffs will be a single elimination tournament, with players from different conferences on different sides of the bracket (just like the NFL).

Divisions will be chosen first using the up to date SBR Online Rating Project rankings to spread out the talent as best as possible, and for unrated players they will be randomly placed.

[/COLLAPSE]

Match Rules:

[COLLAPSE="Hide"]The league will be following the SSB64 Backroom ruleset (READ THEM IF YOU HAVEN’T!)
Backroom ruleset: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=295918

Regular Season Matches will be best of 5 games (win 3 to clinch).

Playoff Matches will be best of 7 games (win 4 to clinch)
[/COLLAPSE]

Scheduling your games and forfeits:

[COLLAPSE="Hide"]Each week, you will be assigned 2 games to play. The week will start at noon on Mondays, and will end on noon of the following Monday. This should give people time to set up matches for the weekend, since that is when most people are available. If a match is reported at 12:01 PM on Monday, it is late, and will be considered not played. No one is playing on Monday morning, so there should be no reason to come close to this deadline.

If you know in advance you will not be able to play a certain week, let me know IN ADVANCE and we’ll see what can be done.

If a game is not played, one of two things will occur.

1) If only one player makes a serious attempt to contact the other and set up a game time, then said player will receive a win, and his opponent will receive a loss.
2) If both players have made a serious attempt to contact the other and set up a game time, or if neither player seems to have tried to contact the other, I will flip a coin to decide the winner.

I will serve as the judge-jury-executioner, aka the Roger Goodell of the league if you will. I make no promises or guarantees, but if you don’t want to forfeit any games I have some guidelines below that will help sway me in your direction if you follow them.

-Initiate the contact with your opponents. By contact, I don’t mean hang around on galaxy until your opponent shows up. PM him on smashboards, email him, or IM him.

-Do not let your first message be: “When do you want to play?” Start by suggesting times during the week when YOU can play.

-Contact your opponents on the first day of the week, second day at the latest. If two players do not make any contact until the 4th day of the week and then find they cannot find a time to play in the next 3 days, I will be more inclined to give them both forfeits than if they had made contact on the 2nd day and found the last 5 days of the week would not work.

-Along the same lines, do not simply message your opponent the first day, and then not check back in until a few days later. Set up a match time as early as possible

-Use contact through smashboards (PM’s) AND through email if you need to

I think Battlecow made a nice flowchart: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=304554
[/COLLAPSE]

Reporting Results:

[COLLAPSE="Hide"]You may report match results at the end of this thread. Be sure to identify in the result post:

1) What week the match was assigned.
2) Both participants in the match.
3) The score

i.e.

Week 1
Clubba22 beat A$ 3 – 0

Please don’t edit previous posts by adding results to them, I might miss them. Just make a new post for each results, I don’t care if you double post to do it either.

[/COLLAPSE]

Playoff Selection and Tiebreakers:

[COLLAPSE="Hide"]You don’t need to read these. They are just here so everyone knows what the tiebreaks are ahead of time. We will be using the NFL tiebreak rules (because they have been tested), with the following changes:

-Strengths of victory/schedule are not considered
-Any qualifier that is obviously specific to football is obviously not considered.

-In all cases, after conference won-lost-tied percentage has been applied but before the coin toss:

-wins against teams at or above .500 win-loss-tied percentage will be considered
-followed by total number of individual games won

NFL tiebreak rules: http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

[/COLLAPSE]

Sign-ups and Eligibility:

[COLLAPSE="Hide"]Eligibility: To be eligible for this you must live in North America (Mexico, USA (not Hawaii, sorry brolus), Canada), have a minimum of 100 posts on Smashboards, and not have consistent lag. I know there are players from other countries who might want to join and don’t mind playing at 10 frames, but in order to be rated in the SBR online rating project we have to keep it in the continent.

To sign up, post below in this thread with the following information:

Kaillera Name (Required):
Email (Suggested):
IM (Suggested):
Location (Required):
General Availability Times (Required):
[/COLLAPSE]

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Participants:

1) kys (aka "the cherry popper")
2) Jimmy Joe
3) JamieHR
4) Peek~
5) Killer
6) tj
7) Sharksquail
8) Star King
9) PPS KoRoBeNiKi
10) Zell~D
11)
12)

kys

Smash Ace
I'll step up to the plate and deflower your thread.

Kaillera Name (Required): kys
Email (Suggested): pm here
IM (Suggested): NONE
Location (Required): Central Florida
General Availability Times (Required): Nights and Weekends

JaimeHR

Smash Ace
Kaillera Name: JaimeHR
Email/IM: [MSN]JaimeHR.SsB@gmail.com, [AIM]JaimeHR3, Smashboards PM
General Availability Times: Friday Nights Most likely all day during Saturday and Sunday

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Well don't everyone join at once! Seriously we need some more players. If anyone who's already joined can try to convince others to join that would be a big help. I'm not on kaillera much these days. Dexter, Killer, Battlecow, Sheer, Snake, Boom were in the league last year and played most of their games (until snake dropped out due to internet issues). Star king and battlecow already said no, but someone get on their case anyway.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
Kaillera Name (Required): Sharksquail
IM (Suggested): on profile
Location (Required): ATL
General Availability Times (Required): by appointment

The Star King

Smash Hero
Kaillera name: Star King
Email: maxdk7@gmail.com
General Availability Times: At night on weekdays (I can make afternoons happen but I probably won't be on if we didn't set the time beforehand), ~3-10 PM on weekends.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Kaillera Name (Required): PPS KoRoBeNiKi
Email (Suggested): goc6283@gmail.com
IM (Suggested): goc6283
Location (Required): Manhattan, NY
General Availability Times (Required): All nights past 10, some days, weekends are fine

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I'm currently unable to play smash64...

My ps3 driver has stopped working altogether and motionjoy wont load any drivers (always fails)

I have to drop out :(

Froski

Boss of Bosses
Kaillera name: Zell~D
Central time
and im available almost everyday

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I guess we can still start this soon if we get enough people. I'm kind of tempted to just wait until after Apex though, plus I bet half the people who signed up have forgotten about this.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Yea after APEX seems like a better idea, this obviously isn't happening anytime soon. LOL at the In Progress category for this thread.

Top Bottom