• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS The Super Smash Bros. 3DS Online Play Thread

What is your favorite online play mode so far?

• Total voters

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
I absolutely love to play online multiplayer. It's quick and easy to find players globally, and now generally has equal options to other modes like local, and download play with friends you know personally.
Going online is becoming a growing reason to own 3DS games we wouldn't have otherwise bought in the first place.
Do you have any questions, comments, or concerns, to enhance the online experience of Smash online? And how psyched are you?
Let us all know how you feel, in the comments below.

Last edited:

GiantBoyDetective

Smash Cadet
I think I'll have to get a good handle on the 3Ds controls before I can say for sure, but for the Glory is porbably where I'll be the most. Who knows!

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
I'll probably be on Glory a ton because I enjoy competition over fun (as sad as that sounds). I'll probably spend 2 days learning controls and trying some characters out, then hop online and see whats up.

LucidDreamGod

Smash Cadet
I used to wonder what the heck is up with smash run, it looks pointlessly gimmicky, but now I realized that it will help set the good players apart from the really great players.

I know the very moment I have the game I'll go right online. Honestly online is the main reason I'm excited for this, that and trophy hunting. Brawl just disappointed me with online. This is the first smash release were I'm more concerned with mechanics and less about characters.

Last edited:

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
I'll probably be on Glory a ton because I enjoy competition over fun (as sad as that sounds). I'll probably spend 2 days learning controls and trying some characters out, then hop online and see whats up.
Trust me, that's not sad: that's courageous! For Glory will be recording BOTH wins and losses, and not just wins like For Fun!
And as serious and competitive a mode as it is, For Glory really neutralizes all of those distractions like items and platforms, and at least keeps the players focused on beating the snot out of each other. So, yeah, it would be the ideal mode for practice. Great point!

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
I used to wonder what the heck is up with smash run, it looks pointlessly gimmicky, but now I realized that it will help set the good players apart from the really great players.

I know the very moment I have the game I'll go right online. Honestly online is the main reason I'm excited for this, that and trophy hunting. Brawl just disappointed me with online. This is the first smash release were I'm more concerned with mechanics and less about characters.
My thoughts exactly!

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Just a heads up, it can get strict about double posting around here from what I've seen so try to edit things into your last post if you can.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I'll probably go play for fun for the 1st couple days so I can see how much lag there would be. If it's fine for me, I'll go ahead and go for glory. Of course I might play a couple for fun matches as well because I like having a variety and could mix things up with items rather than playing on 1 big platform and no items. I hope there will be team matches too for both modes. As for smash run, I can see myself playing it often because it is an interesting idea.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Knowing me, I'm going to like the For Glory mode. 1 vs 1 FD no items? That already sounds like my kind of preferred match XD.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
????????????

Guys ignore this post, it ain't supposed to be here. Post edit gone wrong.

Last edited:

Stueyman2099

Smash Cadet
For Glory to be sure.
I'll probably be on Glory a ton because I enjoy competition over fun (as sad as that sounds).
I keep getting the idea that there's a stigma on this forum that competitive play can't be fun, and I don't get that. For me, competitive play IS fun. It certainly has more frustrations, but for me it also has so much more reward.

Switching topics though, how much I play is definitely going to depend on how good the net code for the game is. If it works okay for people closer by than, say, people on the opposite coastline, I'll be trying to get friend codes from people here on the boards. Seems like a regional friend code board would do a lot of good if that turns out to be the case, but with any luck it'll be good nationwide.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
For Glory to be sure.

I keep getting the idea that there's a stigma on this forum that competitive play can't be fun, and I don't get that. For me, competitive play IS fun. It certainly has more frustrations, but for me it also has so much more reward.

Switching topics though, how much I play is definitely going to depend on how good the net code for the game is. If it works okay for people closer by than, say, people on the opposite coastline, I'll be trying to get friend codes from people here on the boards. Seems like a regional friend code board would do a lot of good if that turns out to be the case, but with any luck it'll be good nationwide.
There definitely is that stigma. I was speaking for me though, as I take winning over fun all day every day haha Competitive play is the only way to have fun for me, its not fun if there's nothing to show for it.

I'll probably stick to practicing on wifi with people in the region because I couldn't imagine the lag a handheld would have trying to play someone in Cali if you're from Toronto Ontario.

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
I don't really think there's a stigma on competition, because many have voted For Glory, and it's leading For Fun by a long shot!
At the same time, though, I understand how sensitive people are when it's win or lose, and losses start piling up. Even being almost anonymous online, we sometimes feel self-concious about how our performance compares against others, and how that would be affected, with online rankings.
But my viewpoint stays in the middle most of the time, and for me, it's all about experimenting with all options online, and finding the most natural one that fits me the most.

onjai_x3

Smash Cadet
NNID
onjai_x3
I'll probably spend a lot of time in For Fun and Smash Run, I love learning the most chaotic stages and use my surroundings and hazards to my advantage; that's my general playstyle, which probably makes me the minority on this board.

pickle962

Smash Lord
For glory and for smash run FTW! For fun will probably be a mode I play on days where I just don't give a sh*t and need my daily smash fix (Goodness this reminds me of when I was borderline unhealthily obsessed with smash back in my 8th grade year circa 2009-2010 and would frequent this site testing my mettle in online tournaments) Thankfully im not AS obsessed with vidya gamez as I was just 3-5 years ago, but the 3ds version of smash 4 is certainly gonna give my dusty 3ds an intense workout

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Smash Run will probably be my main mode on the 3DS when it comes to online play. It just looks way more interesting than the other two. Not that I won't use the other two, but I am most intrigued by Smash Run. The Wii U version will get my For Glory focus and what not anyway.

Thegamerguy131

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thegamerguy131
3DS FC
0946-2559-8115
I'll play on For Fun on the 3DS to train with the new characters and controls, and I'll play For Glory on the Wii U to actually compete with people.

Randoman

Smash Cadet
Smash Run is looking pretty cool, looks like a great mode for my brother and I to play while we're on a road trip or something.

For Glory is also pretty interesting. I like how all stages have a Final Destination form too, I can listen to other tracks, instead of the same Final Destination track over, and over, again. Good call by Sakurai, damn that intelligent *******!

Top Bottom