• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Subspace Portals

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
this started as an idea me and my friend had last night. It kinda grew and before I knew it i had this in about 1 and a half hours time. I liked the idea a lot, and wondered if I should continue it?

NOTES: This isn't based on the same Subspace as in SSBB, Subspace was just a good name.
- Feel free to critique
- suggestions/ideas are welcome
- i have a good idea on how most characters join in, but as i said, ideas are always welcome
- chapter 1 isn't quite finished yet

Nintendo, roughly translated - "Leave luck to heaven"

Prologue

This is the way it is now, the way it has been before, and the way it will forever remain. The Portals of Subspace.

Portals, links between dimensions, open every one thousand years, connecting different times, locations, and universes. The portals would all lead to one location, a new world, in hope that the inhabitants of their own respective worlds could come from the various points throughout time and space, to help create a stable ecosystem, to help bring about a new land that may thrive and prosper... to create a new world. The Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule... the various Earth-like worlds from which most of our beloved heroes descend, were created using this method of the universe.

No outside force controls these portals. No one thing causes this event to occur, rather just a nature, of well, nature, is compelled to bring about such things. The essence, if you will, of the universe as a whole, brings all together. We are all connected as one.

The power of these portals are pure. No being with even a trace of evil in his or her heart may discover upon these portals. This allows meetings between worlds to remain peaceful, and calm.

Very few know of these links, for those who ventured through the portals were so compelled by this new, beautiful world that they felt no need to return from where they once came. But the little knowledge that has been kept has been passed down for eons and eons, by word of mouth, by the breeze of the wind, until the portals were almost forgotten. Names have changed, descriptions altered, none may ever know of where these portals came, when the first portals opened, when the last may come... but one thing remains certain. A vast wealth of knowledge and power goes to those who first venture through the Portals of Subspace, the knowledge of many worlds, the power of many planets, and the dawning of a new world is upon us.

This is the way it is now, the way it has been before, and the way it will forever remain. The Portals of Subspace.

Unfortunately, knowledge always has a way of slipping into the wrong hands, and the greed for this power and wealth is one thing that, no matter where you find yourself, will always remain the same...

Chapter 1 - Signs of Trouble

We arrive at a small house on the outskirts of the Mushroom Kingdom. Inside, a pair of brothers begin their morning routine. Cracking a few eggs for a nice Yoshi-Egg omelette, feeding Yoshi outside... it was the first Saturday of the Summer, meaning the Mario Games (as so nicely dedicated by their beloved Princess Peach) were to begin that day. Competitors from all over the Mushroom Kingdom were to arrive, and they needed to be up and at the castle early to greet the challengers. Little did they know, the Mario Games may not turn out as planned...

"MAMA MIA!" Luigi awoke with a scream. His brother, Mario, had had quite enough of Luigis poor sleeping habits. They needed to be at the Princess's Castle in half an hour and Luigi wasn't even dressed yet. "When Professor E. Gadd left me with you, I was hoping I would provide other services then being used as an alarm clock..." FLUDD, The Flash Liquidizer Ultra Dousing Device, was strapped to Mario's back, after releasing a not-so-calming blast of ice-cold water all over poor Luigi. "Maybe at least as a kitchen utensil, but no..." FLUDD had grown quite annoying over the years, although a person couldn't blame him. There hadn't been much use for him since they had vacationed (or the attempted vacation) on the Islands of Delfino. Mario prepped the FLUDD for another blast before Luigi jumped out of bed, cowering in defense as Mario grinned and lowered the would-be weapon. Luigi was finally awake.

Mario ventured back down the stairs. He loved his home. The Princess had tried countless times to convince Mario to move into the castle. "This cottage is not fit for a hero." But Mario would always decline the offer. He had been in this house as far back as he could remember. It had been his father's, and his father's father, and so forth. Mario always preferred the countryside to the hustle and bustle of the city life. He planned on giving it to his offspring, whenever the day may come.

Luigi on the other hand, never cared for the place, although he had learned his lesson about straying too far from his brother. As Luigi awoke and got ready for the big day, he remembered why he never bothered to stray too far from home. Where ever either of the Mario Brothers went, trouble seemed to follow. He had once entered a contest, not too long ago, for a chance to win a mansion, and won. When he went to meet up with his brother at the place, however, Mario ended up kidnapped, and (with the help of Professor E. Gadd and his Poltergust 3000) had to save his brother from the evil ghosts that lurked inside the haunted mansion. Mario has since then insisted that Luigi just stay at home with him.

Mario and Luigi stepped out into the front yard. It was a beautiful day. Yoshi was at play with a few of the young Toads and Toadettes of the village. Yoshi was always enjoying life. Mario remembered when he first met Yoshi, those many years ago. Kamek, a powerful witch (who has since become Bowser's minion) attempted to kill Mario as a baby, by kidnapping him. After dropping the Baby Mario over Yoshi's Island on her flight back to what was now Bowser's Kingdom, Yoshi stumbled across the baby, and vowed to return him home, safe and sound. Mario wouldn't be alive if it weren't for the loving dinosaur, and has since returned the favor. Yoshi had decided to live with Mario and Luigi after Mario saved Yoshi's Island from the evil wrath of Bowser, in hopes that maybe he could provide further assistance in future missions. Although many would say Yoshi was a pet, Mario would never think of Yoshi as any less then a trusted friend.

"Mario!" The voice was all too familiar. It seems Princess Peach was off to an early start as well, as she was waiting at the Castle Doors as Mario and Luigi rode up on Yoshi. The courtyard was astounding... banners streamed across the stands, confetti of all colors floated down from the sky, as roars of cheers from Toads and Toadettes cheered the arrival of their Kingdom's hero.

After a quick hello and a wave to the crowd, the first pair of challengers arrived. Pulling up in a barrel with wheels came the primate very familiar at such Mushroom Kingdom events. Donkey Kong, wearing his signature red tie bearing the DK insignia on it, stepped out followed by his sidekick Diddy Kong, bearing his red hat. Donkey Kong beat his chest and roared to the crowd, and the crowd return the greetings with roars and cheers. Diddy Kong, who was a newer member of the events, waved to the crowd. Although he wasn't as well known, he knew he was welcome.

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman
Awesome start, if I may say.
I liked reading the memories of the Mario Bros. of their past adventures: Luigi's Mansion, SMSunshine, Yoshi's Island: good wrap ins.
Good work. :)

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
But it just got posted today! Don't worry this is a kick@$$ fanfiction, I'm sure people will go for it when they find out about it. try posting a link in your signature, that may lure people into reading too. Anyways, this is awsome can't wait to read more.

until the next chapter!

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
=] thanks

i'll wait till chapter 2 is finished before i post what i'll finish off of chapter one, and i'll post em both.

i have a good idea, i just need to set time aside to type them up.

Top Bottom