• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Stuff this Guy can Absorb... [Bucket Guide]

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
As all you Mr. Game and Watch players know, Oil Panic absorbs energy-based projectiles and deals a heavy blow in the form of oil based on how much damage the attack would have done. Here's a list of everything he can absorb.

If it's red, that means it's an item that can be thrown directly at him for absorption, and Mr. Game and Watch won't get hurt at all.
If it's blue, that means that move is a multi-hit, so the total damage is listed if all hits connect. Multi-hits usually fill an empty bucket in one go, but it will usually also be weak.
If it's green, it's a move like Flare Blitz where it only becomes absorbable after it hits you, a shield, a wall, another opponent, or the ground; or is set off manually, like the Burst Grenade, or goes off after a set time. Otherwise it is not absorbable.

Lucario was tested with him at 0% and 187%, which is his strength cap.

I have posted the damage each thing does, so that you may use this thread to help you figure out how many segments it would fill: http://smashboards.com/threads/how-the-bucket-really-works.381007/

CHARACTERS

Mario: Fireballs (4-5%)

Luigi: Fireballs (5-6%)

Peach: Toad Spores (2% per hit, 18% total)

Bowser: Firebreath (1-3% per hit)

Yoshi: Yoshi Bomb star (4%)

Diddy Kong: Rocketbarrel Pack explosion (18%)

Link: Bombs (5% bomb, 9% explosion)

Zelda: Din's Fire (7% weak, 14% strong)

Sheik: Burst Grenade explosion (12% explosion, 1% impact, 3% vortex); Vanish (12%, first hit only)

Toon Link: Bombs (4% bomb, 8% explosion)

Samus: Charge Shot (3% uncharged, 25% charged); Bomb explosion (5% explosion, 4% impact)

Zero Suit Samus: Paralyzer (4% uncharged, 6% charged); Down Smash (8% uncharged, 11% charged)

Pit: Arrows (3% uncharged, 8% charged)

Palutena: Auto-Reticle (2.75% per hit, 8% total)

Robin: Thunder (3%); Elthunder (9%); Arcthunder (3% initial hit, then 1% per hit when it connects); Thoron (2% per hit, 10% total); Thoron Plus (2% per hit, 18% total); Arcfire (2% bolt, 1% per hit after landing, 12% total); Elwind (5% each)

Kirby: Shock wave from Final Cutter (6%)

King DeDeDe: Stars from Super Dedede Jump (5%)

Fox: Lasers (1-3%)

Falco: Lasers (3%)

Pikachu: Thunder (15% if it touches Pikachu, 8% bolt, 6% cloud); Thunder Jolt (4-6%)

Charizard: Flamethrower (1-2% per hit); Flare Blitz explosion (4% hit, 15% explosion)

Lucario @0%: Aura Sphere (4% uncharged, 11% charged); Force Palm (4% sour, 7% sweet, 8% grab)
Lucario @187%: Aura Sphere (11% uncharged, 29% charged); Force Palm (12% sour, 19% sweet, 21% grab)

Duck Hunt: Trick Shot explosion (2% impact, 8% explosion); Clay Pigeon explosion (1.5% shots, 5% explosion)*

R.O.B.: Laser (4% weak, 10% max) NOT the sweetspot, which adds 7% to the damage of laser charge you currently have, and isn't a projectile. Interestingly, you'll absorb the laser and THEN get hit, which is why it isn't green.

Ness: PK Flash (9% min, 37% max); PK Fire (4% initial hit, 2% per hit); PK Thunder (8% head, 1% per hit tail)

Villager: Lloid Rocket explosion (7% impact, 12% wall explosion, 5% ending explosion)

Wii Fit Trainer: Sun Salutation (5% uncharged, 18% charged, 5% uncharged w/ deep breathing, 20% charged w/ deep breathing); charging Sun Salutation (0% because it's a windbox, fills one segment. Try it!)

Dark Pit: Arrows (3% uncharged, 10% charged)

Mega Man: Mega Buster (2% per hit); Charge Shot (11% uncharged, 19% charged); Crash Bomber explosion (1% per hit, 4% final hit)

Mewtwo: Shadow Ball (2% uncharged, 25% charged); f-throw balls (1.4% each, 7% total)

Ryu: Hadouken (5% tap B, 6% hold B, 7.5% SF input); Shakunetsu Hadouken (1% first four hits, 4% final hit)

Lucas: PK Freeze (9% min, 22% max); PK Fire (3% bolt, 6% pillar hit); PK Thunder (3% head, ~.75% per tail hit)

Mii Gunner: Forward-Air (5% far, 7% close); Charge Blast (4% uncharged, 23% charged); Stealth Burst (12% weak, 16% strong); Laser Blaze (3%); Flame Pillar (5% initial hit, 7% pillar); Lunar Launch (8%); Bomb Drop explosion (3% impact, 10% explosion); Grenade Launch explosion (1% per hit, 7% final hit)

*You can absorb the exploding clay pigeon, but not the shots. The explosion also can't hit you; it's very situational.

ITEMS

Ray Gun (4%)
Super Scope (1% per hit uncharged, 28% charged)
Superspicy Curry (1% per hit)
Star Rod projectile (9%) charging doesn't matter
Lip's Stick fsmash glitter (1% glitter, 15% hit, charging doesn't matter); ftilt glitter (1%)
Fire Flower (2% per hit)
Blast Box (30%)
Bob-omb (30%)
Motion-Sensor Bomb (25%)
Gooey Bomb (26%)
Bombchu (19% hard throw, 14% light)

Killer Eye (6% per hit)
Steel Diver torpedo (14%) (shoutout to @ BlakDragon BlakDragon )

One last thing: Everything I mentioned here also works for Ness and Lucas, whom I main, and the Mii Gunner. And please keep this a secret from the other forums as best you can; the last thing we want is a patch to get rid of all this.There is a thread for this in the Ness forums though ;)

Feel free to comment anything else you find!

PS: If you want something really funny, try bucketing Wii Fit Trainer's charging Sun Salutation, but with the Sweeping Sun Salutation custom; the blue one.

UPDATE: huge organization improvement, changed what information is displayed, linked my other Oil-Panic-related thread, posted items

UPDATE2: Duck Hunt: Clay Shooting

UPDATE3: Mewtwo, Ryu, Lucas, Steel Diver

Last edited:

X3I

Smash Apprentice
Add Samus' Down B on the list.
But you can't be hit by it like Link and Too Link's bombs.

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Samus's bombs are on the list. I apologize for the unorganization.

Melonfrog

Smash Apprentice
How exactly do you bucket a Flare Blitz? Do you pull out your bucket, take damage but still absorb it or do you just somehow absorb the explosion after an impact?

BlakDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlakDragon
3DS FC
2938-7104-7763
Thank you for compiling this list, it's very helpful to the newer Game & Watch proponents (like me!)

Add Steel Diver's shots to the list; 2-D Man can absorb those too. Each shot does 14% damage so they would fill 2 units of oil.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
How exactly do you bucket a Flare Blitz? Do you pull out your bucket, take damage but still absorb it or do you just somehow absorb the explosion after an impact?
It's done if you're invincible, and you just take the hit with the bucket out, or if you're above or below Charizard when he does it into a shield or a wall. It's the explosion upon impact that you absorb.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Oh cool! This was turned into a guide! Thanks mods! Lol I don't know how long ago you did this as I haven't had access to my computer.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Might want to cover customs that can be absorbed by the move, as well.

Notably, the explosions from Extreme Balloon Trip can be bucketed, which does a splendid job of discouraging any ledge camping from a custom Villager.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Might want to cover customs that can be absorbed by the move, as well.

Notably, the explosions from Extreme Balloon Trip can be bucketed, which does a splendid job of discouraging any ledge camping from a custom Villager.
Pac-Man's Dire Hydrant can be bucketed too, but it's not like that's his go-to option.

Also notable are Shooting Star Bit and Floaty Star Bit from Rosalina.

BlakDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlakDragon
3DS FC
2938-7104-7763
@ The 0ne The 0ne Please add the following (and my earlier post regarding Steel Diver) to the OP. Thanks! :D

Ryu: Hadouken (5% tap B, 6% hold B, 7.5% SF input); Shakunetsu Hadouken (1% first four hits, 4% final hit)

Lucas: PK Freeze (9% min, 22% max); PK Fire (3% bolt, 6% pillar hit); PK Thunder (3% head, ~.75% per tail hit)

PK Fire's flame pillar can be bucketed instead of the bolt, but strict spacing is required.

I'm not 100% on PK Thunder's damage values; after the head struck the training dummy (3%), the following trail dealt damage which displayed as 4%, 4%, 5%, and then 6% with damage progressing further using that pattern.

HuntarBarbarian

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3222-6065-3628
Okay, I wasn't sure. It makes sense since hitting him interrupts the attack.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Im not too sure if this has been tested or not;

But in Brawl G&W could NOT absorb food from another G&W, but WAS able to absorb food from a Kirby-Copy of Game and Watch's Food attach.

randomtechguy142857

Smash Cadet
Cloud's Blade Beam can be bucketed for 8% on the ground and 6% in the air — 1 segment each. Limit break blade beam I'm not sure about — it's counted as a multi-hit but it only fills the bucket once.

Corrin's neutral-B can be bucketed: it's 3% uncharged and 11% fully charged, meaning it can fill 2 segments when fully charged.

Pretty sure we can't bucket anything of Bayonetta's, unfortunately.

Teh1Tryhard

Smash Rookie
I've pretty much just joined the forums, I've played G&W for quite some time now, and like to play shulk, peach, and luigi to varying degrees of effectiveness... how do you guys try to use oil panic on enemies though? usually I just try to go for jab 1 into bucket, and it tends to work but I don't know if there's any more efficient way to use it.

Top Bottom