• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Struggle: Bowser at Big Tournaments

A Stuffy Muffin

Smash Cadet
So I recently went to BUST3 and stuck to Bowser the whole time. BUST was an interesting tournament because you were guaranteed to be put in a bracket after pools, the brackets were just dependent on how you did in said pools. This was my biggest tournament by far with just a little under 300 entries for the whole thing, I'm not sure the total division between doubles/singles. This is more for people who have never been to big tournaments before but feel free to read regardless.

I was first seed in my bracket and was in pools with the other top seeds. It...did not go well. A lot of the time it was just me getting outplayed. My pool had Swedish Delight (Sheik main) in it and the chaingrabs were unreal. It was a lot of fun, and the only thing that really ground my gears were people being ***** about the fact I was playing Bowser. It gets frustrating having people tell you over and over to switch off or play someone else.

General matchup notes from pools (already known stuff, probably):
Fox:
-You can gimmick him like nobody's business. Short hop claw, interrupting illusions using aerials/smash attacks, and especially your ledge attack >100 give you a good amount of options. Easy to gimp. Don't get freaked out by the fact he's the best character in the game and you're good.

Falco:
-The gimmicks don't work as well, especially since you're combo food. It's like playing Marvel 2 except you're the one getting Magneto'd in a corner.
-That being said he can be gimped easier, play it safe and try not to get taken for a ride across the stage.

IC's:
-Surprisingly easy to separate with up-b/down smash especially if they don't know the MU.
-Take a second to find out if they're more reliant on Nana or if they're more of a SoPo guy (hint; if they're wobbling you they're in the first category). Both can be exploited, if they need Nana she can be fairly easy to get rid of, and Popo dies in a few hits. Don't grabbed.

Speaking of which

Sheik:
-Lawd have mercy
-The matchup is very nearly 10-0. Stacking up damage isn't an issue, it's actually securing the kill. She's harder to gimp because even her ledge stall is invincible.
-Generally Sheik's like to hop around and be real mobile, take a second to take note of their movements and capitalize with the appropriate aerials. You will get punished if you throw out the claw too many times.
-If you get grabbed you need to tech away if they drop it, you're gonna get boned if you just sit there/tech in place.
-Good luck, Space Cowboy.

Went 0-7 in pools. Some matches were close, others I got bodied.

Matchup notes from Bracket:
Marth: I only played Marths in Bracket, it was awful.
-The main issue is that both of you want to be really close to the opponent and Marth has a sword and you don't. But, there are ways around that.
-You can sweet spot the ledge when trying to recover, then ledge hop into claw. A lot of Marth's will style with an fsmash or try and poke you off with a dtilt. You can recover high but it's risky.
-You both really, really, want to grab the opponent. You can run in and grab to catch them off guard two, maybe three times. Eventually you'll just be running into their grab range and look like an idiot.
-They will try and grab your shield, up b when appropriate.

Went 2-2 in bracket.

General tournament notes;
-Drink a ****load of water, seriously
-Get a lot of sleep, I got a ****ty nights rest but no Johns--a lot of the people I played were just straight up better.
-Play friendlies, some of the most fun I had was friendlies with people.
-Nerves are real and you just gotta roll with it, don't be afraid to peace when you're not in pools/bracket and take a moment to chill.
-Get hype, huge tournaments are awesome.

I know this post is baller long but thanks for reading guys. I'm happy to answer any questions. I hope this has helped at least one of ya'll.

-Stuffy

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Ah well, thanks for the tips - and yep, didn't do good either in my tournaments. xD I caught a whole pool of Sheiks and Marths, omg.

But I don't feel that the Marth match up is that bad sincerely, but I haven't been in a situation where I have a good match up, so I can't really tell; he's so frail and easy to edgeguard! Sheik is cancer. Also, I've been lucky enough to get a friendly with a good Peach main, and it is indeed a terrible match up. But I found a way around it! Take your time and when there is an opening, rise through her with upB, eventually, a good hit will finish her. And try to stay above her - strange match up for Bowser, as he's usually a ground master.

Also, I've found that the best move to kill a Sheik is your front tilt. That punch is great if you are near a ledge, as she can't tech. Good luck landing it tho.

Top Bottom