• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Star Allies... Star in battle?! (The Star Allies support thread)

TheVillagerDucky

Smash Rookie

Hello everybody! Today, I'm here with quite an interesting concept for a new fighter... umm... set of fighters I would like to see in an upcoming Smash. Is it a likely idea? No. Does it make perfect sense in the context of Smash? Kind of.

My idea is a four-way group of characters taking up one slot. A move set where you can play as 4 different befriend-able enemies that appear in Kirby Star Allies, and other games in the series as well. Stick with me. There are a lot of ways to interpret this idea, due to the fact that there are so many different enemies in the series. The same could've also been said for Pokémon Trainer, due to the fact that there are so many Pokémon. However, I have created a ruleset to find out which Allies would be best to be featured in this four-way Smash move set.

Rules:
-The Ally can't be a Waddle Dee/Waddle Doo. Not only would this be too predictable, but it would also hurt Bandana Waddle Dee's chances of getting in by a longshot.
-Knuckle Joe and Chef Kawasaki aren't allowed, since they both have roles as Assist Trophies.
-Dream Friends aren't allowed, since they are prominent enough to make their own move sets.
-Any characters that can't be befriended in either Kirby Star Allies, or Kirby Super Star/Super Star Ultra can't be part of this move set.
-At least 1 heavyweight character should be a part of the group.
-2 characters should use elemental attacks (like Fire) while the other 2 should use weapons (like Swords).

After some difficult thinking, the 4 Allies I chose were Bonkers, Poppy Bros Jr, Burning Leo, and Chilly.

Bonkers
Bonkers is probably the most recognizable Kirby miniboss. Sure, he might wield a hammer like Dedede, but it doesn't mean he can't be unique. He could throw explosive coconuts, throw his hammer, and attack foes with powerful punches. I'd say he would be a semi-clone of Dedede, but many attacks are completely unique to Bonkers. He'll be a heavyweight character that can't crawl, but he can still stick to walls and wall-jump, since he is a monkey, after all.

Neutral Special: Hammer Flip. This attack is quite similar to Kirby's Side Special, with one twist: It's twice as powerful, but you can't move!

Side Special: Coconuts. In many of the Bonkers fights, he pulls out a large supply of exploding coconuts, which would be a wonderful projectile for Bonkers to use in a side special. They explode when they come in contact with either the floor, a wall, or an opponent, and can be detonated on demand by using the side special again while the coconut is on stage.

Up Special (Recovery): Hammer Spin. A typical spinning recovery like Donkey Kong's, except a hammer is involved.

Down Special: Friend Swap. Bonkers switches out for another Ally.

Poppy Bros Jr.
Poppy Bros Jr. is easily one of the most iconic Kirby enemies, even appearing on the box-art of Kirby Star Allies. It would be like you're actually playing as Bomberman! He's a light-weight character with no stand-out abilities like crawling.

Neutral Special: Bomb Throw. Bomberma- I mean, Poppy Bros Jr. will begin to carry a bomb with one hand. The bomb can be thrown by pressing B again, and will explode when coming into contact with a floor, a wall, or an opponent. The bomb can also explode in Poppy's hand if you wait too long, causing him to get hurt. However, this self-inflicting explosion can still cause damage to opponents. The bomb can also be aimed by holding the second button press. Only one bomb allowed at a time.

Side Special: Bomb Slide. Poppy Bros Jr. slides a bomb across the floor. Unlike the Neutral Special bombs, these ones don't detonate while in contact with the floor/walls. Instead, only opponents. Whether or not an opponent comes next to the bomb, it'll still eventually explode. These bombs can also explode on command by using Side Special again while the bomb is still on stage, making for a dangerous trap. However, the bomb could eventually explode nearby Poppy Bros Jr, inflicting damage.

Up Special (Recovery)l: Bluster Bombs (A lot of bombs, I know). Poppy pulls out a Bluster Bomb and carries it above his head, carrying him upwards. This continues until the bomb eventually explodes, or is thrown by Poppy by pressing B. This attack is a reference to the bomb/wind combo you can get in Kirby Star Allies.

Down Special: Friend Swap. I think you get the idea.

Chilly
Chilly is yet another popular Kirby enemy/ally, that also happens to be a fan favorite. His ice-based move set could make for some super unique attacks we haven't seen anything like since 2001 with the Ice Climbers. He's a middle-weight character with no athletic attributes, like crawling.

Neutral Special: Freeze Blow. Chilly blows hail, similarly to the Ice Climber's Down Special, but there isn't two of them, and has better range and attack power. It has a chance to freeze the opponent.

Side Special: Ice Block. Chilly slides a large ice cube on the floor, tripping the opponents it comes into contact with.

Up Special (Recovery): Ice Curling. Chilly turns into a curling stone and spins continuously upwards, causing opponents caught in the spinning to freeze.

Down Special: Friend Swap.

Burning Leo
(Sorry the image is so tiny compared to the others!)
Finally, we have Burning Leo. While not being quite as popular as Chilly or Poppy Bros Jr, he still managed to make a comeback to Star Allies after 10 years of missing from the Kirby series. He even managed to appear on the Kirby Star Allies box-art alongside Poppy Bros Jr, and is the first enemy you come across in the game besides the Waddle Dees. He's a lightweight, and can't wall-jump, crawl, or stick to walls.

Neutral Special: Flame Blower. This attack is basically what Bowser and Charizard do for their Neutral Specials. Little to no difference.

Side Special: Star Slam Heroes. This is quite an interesting attack. Leo grabs a bat as a meteor appears in front of him. He then hits the meteor horizontally. The farther it goes, the faster yet weaker it gets, sort of like the Steel Diver item. It'll eventually explode, and only one meteor is allowed onscreen at a time.

Up Special: Upward Blaze. Leo simply does an upwards version of Kirby's dash attack.

Down Special: Friend Swap.

Gimmicks
The gimmick(s)? Well, there are three of them. The first one, of course, is the transformation aspect. Pressing Down-B gets you a new fighter, just like Pokémon Trainer or pre-sm4sh Zelda. The only difference? There's four of them. The second gimmick involves Bonkers and Poppy Bros Jr. By holding on Down-B for 3 seconds with Bonkers or PBJ (NOT peanut-butter & jelly), they will begin raising their hand in the air with their hammer/bomb. Then, either Burning Leo or Chilly will appear besides them, and blow fire/ice on their weapons, giving them ice/fire hammers, and ice/fire bombs. These weapons are much more powerful then their original counterparts, but the effects won't last forever, and will extinguish eventually. This is a reference to the ability combinations you can make in Kirby Star Allies. The 3rd and final gimmick is the Friend Circle. The friend circle can be activated by filling up this thing I just made up called the Friend Meter. There are four parts to this meter, and each can be filled up by taking/inflicting damage as each of the four characters. The friend circle wouldn't be the final smash, but it would be a very strong attack you can gain access to after filling up the meter, and using Neutral Special.

Final Smash
The final smash is the Star Allies Sparkler! It works very similarly to Bowser and Pit's Final Smashes, except this one involves the endgame friend transformation, the Star Allies Sparkler. When an opponent is hit by it, a cutscenes shows depicting the Star Allies summoning other friends from memory, launching themselves at the opponent(s), and then to finish it off, a deadly friend laser is used. This is kind of a half baked representation of the final events in the Kirby Star Allies story mode, except in this version, the opponent(s) are put in Void Termina's non-existent shoes.

The Evidence:
Now, the evidence for this specific set of characters doesn't have much to back it up. HOWEVER, the concept of a four-way Kirby-based fighter slot has a lot of back-up. For starters, it could be a great way to advertise Kirby Star Allies without going into spoiler territory with characters like Hyness or The Three Mage Sisters. It could give players who haven't played the game a good taste of what it's all about: becoming friends with enemies, combining abilities, and using powerful transformation attacks like the Friend Circle or the Star Allies Sparkler. Secondly, the inclusion of Piranha Plant means that any ordinary enemy(s) can still make it, including the ones found in a series like Kirby. This argument has been used already to support Bandana Waddle Dee, but I personally see BWD as much more than a regular enemy, but rather a mainstay to the series. This rule, however, does apply to the Star Allies. Thirdly, when Nintendo was deciding what characters should be picked for DLC, Kirby Star Allies was at its peak. The Heroes in Another Dimension update was either releasing soon, or already released at the time. They could've added a new Kirby rep, possibly inspired by KSA specifically, to advertise this huge update to the game, and possibly get old and new players back into it.

Thank you! Let's get these guys in Smash(?!)
There's other stuff to cover, but I think it's time to wrap things up. Personally, I'd like to hear YOUR rendition of a Star Allies four-way group involving some of your companions in Kirby Star Allies. There's many combinations and possibilities, and a lot of potential for a really cool move set, and could breath new life into the lackluster cast of transformable Smash characters, since at the moment, there is only 1 in Ultimate. Anyway, let me know if you support this outlandish idea, and notify me if you notice any typos. Thanks!

Supporters:
CodakTheWarrior
Sebas22

PS, shout-outs to my little sister, who gave me this idea! :)

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
I like it! But I'm not so sure about Bonkers.... how about best grappler Buggzy?

TheVillagerDucky

Smash Rookie
I like it! But I'm not so sure about Bonkers.... how about best grappler Buggzy?
Thank you! That's a really cool idea! Unfortunately, while Bugzy is a heavyweight, he doesn't really have any melee weapons besides his tweezers, so there wouldn't be a good balance of melee weapon users and elemental users. However, we could implement Bugzy in the grabs. He could show up besides the player, reaches out towards the opponent with his giant tweezers, and uses some crazy suplex attacks on them. (Also, I put you down as a supporter. Is that alright?)

Last edited:
Top Bottom