• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
The translation of this is actually pretty funny.

(Remember it's read from right to left)
Samus: Are you Ridley?

I am Samus...

Will you be my friend...?

Ridley: Hmm...

Sorry, but...

That's not possible.

Samus: Why...?

Ridley: Because from now, you are my wife!!

(bottom panel)

Ridley: We have a new pirate member.

She's going to be our future leader. So show respect.

Space Pirate: Wah, she's cute.

Or at least this was how it was translated on another website.
...Oh.

That's gross. I'm gonna go back to imagining Ridley as a "stern step-dad" to Samus in some parallel universe and pretend I didn't read that.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
...Oh.

That's gross. I'm gonna go back to imagining Ridley as a "stern step-dad" to Samus in some parallel universe and pretend I didn't read that.
XD I think everyone here is going to pretend as well...I find it funny that when I read the translation I was reading it quickly brcause i thought it was going to be the same as the manga...but the 'wife' thing made me stop my tracks and think 'did I read that right?'...thats why I laughed at first...but then realized the implications.

D

Deleted member

You can clearly recognize a remix of Ridley's theme in this part of the trailer.

Could that mean...?

D

Deleted member

You can clearly recognize a remix of Ridley's theme in this part of the trailer.

Could that mean...?
....it's possible.
Very rarely do we have his theme featured in a game without Ridley himself making an appearance.

-stupid joke incoming-

Sakurai: "Ridley's design would have to be altered drastically for him to work as a Smash fighter to where it wouldn't really be "Ridley" anymore."

Samus Returns' development team: "Hold our beers."

But seriously, if they can make the freaking Zeta Metroid look cool enough to include in Smash, I'd love to see what route they'd take with Ridley's design.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminder that Ridley's theme is borrowed from the big boss theme. So it is possible it's just that.

Also, we still dont know if the design would work for smash. Although the fact this is on the 3DS may work in our favor. Any Ridley fight would probably need to be a bit smaller to work for the 3DS. Big If there though.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, it was originally a generic boss theme in Super Metroid, but had been later made or identified as Ridley's own since then. That said, taking the Vs theme with a grain of salt far as a possible appearance of his, but the new remix is a nice treat with or without him being present.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Reminder that Ridley's theme is borrowed from the big boss theme. So it is possible it's just that.
Reminder that since Super Metroid, the only time the Ridley theme was used without Ridley was Prime Hunters First Hunt, the demo. It's one of Metroid's most iconic themes due to the large amount of times it's been used and for being used in memorable battles.
Also, it was the escape theme aswell but SR388 doesn't blow up until Fusion

IronTed

Smash Ace
Many have covered this, but there are only 2 logical conclusions one can draw from that remix

1: This a boss theme for a Ridley fight

2:This is an escape remix

I find 2 to be very unlikely, as every game to use that theme for its escape theme already has Ridley as a boss (Super, Fusion, Other M). Also, when used as an escape theme, they add sirens and make it really obvious that it is an escape theme. Also, when Sakamoto was talking about Drillnaut, he seemed to imply he was a substitute for an escape sequence, implying there is no escape sequence, therefore disqualifying 2 as a reasonable explanation.

As stated by Muteki Gwen, Hunters First Hunt is the only time his theme is used without him appearing in the game. Combined with every Sakamoto Metroid having Ridley, he very well could be in Samus Returns. It is very unlikely they'd slap the Ridley theme on a random boss, and they have never done that before, either.

Edit: I just want to say, I lurked back in the Smash 4 days, and the Ridley thread was such a joy to follow, it really taught me a lot of lessons. I fully support Ridley being playable, even if he is unlikely. In a way it's ironic, every game he somehow gets resurrected, and after every Smash disconfirmation his supporters rise from the ashes.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I can see where Zebei is coming from, we don't really want to over hype or over think something which could end up to not lead to anything for Ridley (we should know that by now thanks to the disappointment from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for WiiU speculation and result).

At the same time, the music theme has been used exclusively for Ridley (out of bosses) since 2002, and it also helps that Ridley has appeared in every Metroid title that Yoshio Sakamoto was involved in. Perhaps Mr. Sakamoto / Nintendo felt that the "Big Boss Confrontation (1)" theme was more suited to Ridley, and thus assigned it solely to him (and renamed it accordingly).

For Metroid II: Return of Samus, Mr. Sakamoto wasn't involved, and there are numerous reasons that we can conclude why Ridley wasn't in the game. For Metroid Samus Returns, however, Mr. Sakamoto is directing, and there are already numerous additions and changes for to the game that the original didn't have, including more abilities (old and new) and more bosses (I've seen concept art for a new boss). While I wasn't really expecting much for Ridley in this game (I leaned more towards Metroid Prime 4), the fact that
Vs Ridley was remixed (and used for a trailer) increases chances of involvement to the plot somewhat (though I think it would more likely be towards end-game / post-game, if he is a boss or has a role in the game).

The only problem is, why would he be on SR-388? Originally, the Space Pirates never went to SR-388. I think it's possible for Ridley to appear post-Metroid species hunt / post-game, re-enacting the opening section of Super Metroid and escape sequence in the Ceres Space Colony.
I'm not sure what he'd be doing during the main part of the game, though Mr. Sakamoto could make Ridley work anywhere in the Metroid timeline.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I think it would be relatively easy to fit Ridley in. For example, make Samus Returns' epilogue be Super's Prologue (this would open a can of worms though, so I don't see this happening). They could also just give him a cameo at the end (although that brings into question why the theme would be necessary).

I think it is important to keep in mind why the space pirates had no presence in Metroid II. Back then, Metroid had no well defined main antagonist. You had Mother Brain for the first game, and well, no one for the second. But ever since Super the Space Pirates have been established as the main antagonists, and have been put in every single Metroid game since.

Samus Returns could play traditional and exclude any and all sentient antagonists, but it also would be weird for a modern Metroid to lack Space Pirates. It could really go either way, although Ridley definitely needs to be in more games to stay relevant (that, and the Otherly design won't be his latest incarnation anymore).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I think it is important to keep in mind why the space pirates had no presence in Metroid II. Back then, Metroid had no well defined main antagonist. You had Mother Brain for the first game, and well, no one for the second. But ever since Super the Space Pirates have been established as the main antagonists, and have been put in every single Metroid game since.
Didn't really think about it that way with the first couple games, but that's definitely true. All the more reason we were fortunate the first game got remade as Zero Mission, where space pirates were there from the beginning along with Ridley's importance being established from the start of Samus's journey.

Now, we've always known the Metroid species have been seen as a valuable weapon/resource/asset to the pirates. With Metroid I/Zero Mission, they had Mother Brain mass-breeding them, but with her later out of commission (at least until Super Metroid), you'd think the pirates would go to the Metroid's homeworld of SR388 to snatch more Metroids and replenish their losses... Unless they didn't know where SR388 was located or Samus just beat them to the punch when she went there and exterminated all but one.

I don't know, but I suppose you could fit the pirates and Ridley somewhere in Samus Returns, where they do go to SR388 for the reasons mentioned. Maybe they get there too late when Samus has already killed most of the Metroids, so after another skirmish with Samus, or not (is yet to be seen whether Ridley's an extra enemy in the game), Ridley then tracks her and raids the Ceres Station just after she leaves, leading to the events of Super...

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
The fact the nobody told me this thread existed saddens me. How could ya'll forget the one guy that made silly Ridley pics like this?:

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The fact the nobody told me this thread existed saddens me. How could ya'll forget the one guy that made silly Ridley pics like this?:

Didn't forget personally, but it can be hard to keep track of everyone whose still around, despite my sincerist efforts to get back with or reconnect with others after the Metroid E3 news. Of course if I had known you were still here whilst unaware of this thread I would've told you about it.

Meh. Regardless, good to see ya again!

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

I guess they thought the Smashified was official art or something. Can see why it'd be easy to think so for those who don't know, seeing the red recolor and Ridley from the Super Metroid box art.. But yeah, was shown in the background of someone doing a Super Metroid playthrough on a Disney D|XP show. Weird, but I suppose it's a nice free pop culture appearance for Ridley...

IronTed

Smash Ace

I guess they thought the Smashified was official art or something. Can see why it'd be easy to think so for those who don't know, seeing the red recolor and Ridley from the Super Metroid box art.. But yeah, was shown in the background of someone doing a Super Metroid playthrough on a Disney D|XP show. Weird, but I suppose it's a nice free pop culture appearance for Ridley...
Ridley was in MAD many years ago, I vividly recall. It was some beauty pageant/model contest/thing, with Peach, Zelda, and Samus. They had to get pictures with their kidnappers or whatever. Well, Samus really has none, so they went with Ridley. He was depicted as feral, escaped and caused some havoc.

I could be wrong, but I am very sure of it being a thing

AndreaAC

xD It's funny to see that!

Ridley was in MAD many years ago, I vividly recall. It was some beauty pageant/model contest/thing, with Peach, Zelda, and Samus. They had to get pictures with their kidnappers or whatever. Well, Samus really has none, so they went with Ridley. He was depicted as feral, escaped and caused some havoc.

I could be wrong, but I am very sure of it being a thing
Oh, that one was called "Next Top Princess", and Ridley tried to eat Lakitu. xD It was hilarious!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm here! Its nice that there is a place to somewhat replicate prerelease discussion.

Also, I've played A LOT more Metroid games since I was last here. I've completed

Prime Trilogy
Super
Zero Mission
Fusion

I think last time I was on here, The only one I had completed was Prime 1 and maybe Super and Fusion.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
On Ridley in Samus Returns.

Considering the fact that there has already been confirmation of multiple new encounters not included in the original it wouldn't be too farfetched to say that Ridley may be one of those encounters.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
SPOILER ALERT but you already know what this means I'm sure

Ridley has not one, not two, BUT Three versions of his theme in the game, and the song is called phase 3.

ITS HAPPENING!!!!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Whatever happens, hype responsibly and all that.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

*ahem* just regain my composure real quick.
Yeah this is pretty hype. Going to love fighting Ridley again, especially with how well reviewers are receiving the game meaning it should be a good fight.

Im not sure hoe much this would affect smash chances because this is just the music (which is great), not the design, but it at least means his relevancy just got renewed, which is more than enough for me! Just don't get ahead of yourselves and we'll be fine
:)

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Can you imagine the explosion if Ridley had a slightly smaller design in the game, it does seem to have 3 phases, one could potentially be smaller, Although I mostly just want him to have an arrowhead tail. Very curious to what he'll look like overall since this is his first 2D game with a 3D model, unless you count Smash. Overall I think I'll wait for myself to see in person

IronTed

Smash Ace
[ spoiler]
*what you want spoilered goes here
[ /spoiler]
remove the spaces between the '['s and "spoiler"

like this

You can quote this message to see the formatting too
Thanks!

I had a feeling, but this is great. Multiple themes has to point to either multiple battles, or multiple stages (like a final boss). Someone on GAF commented on how there is a pen additional area (like in Zero Mission), but it isn't large. That could totally be a Ridley fight. I just went from really excited to completely hyped.

D

Deleted member

Can you imagine the explosion if Ridley had a slightly smaller design in the game, it does seem to have 3 phases, one could potentially be smaller, Although I mostly just want him to have an arrowhead tail. Very curious to what he'll look like overall since this is his first 2D game with a 3D model, unless you count Smash. Overall I think I'll wait for myself to see in person
Huh. Didn't even think of that. The first non-sprite based Ridley in a 2D structured game. Wonder how that's going to be like....

AndreaAC

SPOILER ALERT but you already know what this means I'm sure

Ridley has not one, not two, BUT Three versions of his theme in the game, and the song is called phase 3.

ITS HAPPENING!!!!
From the inside.jpg

XD I SQUEALED! IT SOUNDS AMAZING! XD I just had to do this comic thingy, even if I may be a little late!

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Nice to see you're still drawing.
:D Thank you. I may not do it was constantly as before, but drawing Rids has been always fun , so, that's why I did what I would consider his "reaction" to the whole deal.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
T W T Just please don't post it anywhere else here or other places...please...I don't feel comfortable with that.
Don't worry, I will make sure to not post everywhere.

Beside that, I didn't say but, your drawning rocks!

AndreaAC

Don't worry, I will make sure to not post everywhere.

Beside that, I didn't say but, your drawning rocks!
.u. Thank you.

xD Haha, thanks again! I need to live up to my title, don't I? I didn't got the "Ridley's Propaganda Artist" for nothing. Besides, it's great to go back to him from time to time, I joined the boards because of him in the first place, even if anything related to him in the discussion boards, specially the speculation days are kind of a rollercoaster...but, anything so I enjoy the character. :3

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
So, err...after the Metroid segment from todays direct, all aboard the hype train?

So that was the weirdest callout ever.
Conspiracy theorists, now is your time to shine

>smash mentioned during Metroid section
>the only point of the metroid section was to hint at a certain character and nothing else

*thinking emoji*

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hype train? Something like that, yeah, but I'd still caution on getting too ahead of ourselves in regards to like Smash, although was interesting how they said both "Metriod and Smash Bros fans" during the tease. I guess because Ridley's well liked in both, but wouldn't look into it much further beyond than that, other than likely adopting things that were introduced for him in Smash like the wall scrape move... Has been kind of a classic since Brawl.

D

Deleted member

Someone uploaded the boss fights.

Remember my arc words of wisdom in the past.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
It's been a very long time since I've visited this place, and I'm still hoping we get something. Are spoilers allowed to be posted here? The direct and Samus Returns bode very well for the flying reptile in the metroid universe.

Top Bottom