• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Space" Animal - A Jigglypuff Guide [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippobro

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1091-9752-8008
aw man, i was SO hyped for a jiggs guide! lmao thank you!

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Looking forward to this. If you need help with matchup stuff I could probably give some Puff Bowser tips. I mained Jiggs for a year, which is about how long I've been active.

Massive

Smash Champion
Looking forward to this. If you need help with matchup stuff I could probably give some Puff Bowser tips. I mained Jiggs for a year, which is about how long I've been active.
Puff vs. Bowser might be the most one-sided match in the game, and I say this even having a pocket bowser.
It actually feels more impossible than fox vs kirby.

*Risen*

Smash Cadet
Puff vs. Bowser might be the most one-sided match in the game, and I say this even having a pocket bowser.
Couldn't agree more. Seriously though, Jiggs waits for Bowser to do almost anything, back air, probably a nice zero to death combo comes out 90% of the time.

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
I got to play Gimpyfish recently. He made the matchup look shockingly doable for Bowser. Obviously it shouldn't be doable, I was just making mistakes and not properly punishing/capitalizing, but it was still impressive. If he happens to get you with a stray up air or f smash, it'll kill at absurd %'s like 30 on Yoshi's. And of course you really have to respect Bowser's shield. But yeah, in general Bowser is laughably easy to rest, WoP, or just combo to pieces.

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
I got to play Gimpyfish recently. He made the matchup look shockingly doable for Bowser. Obviously it shouldn't be doable, I was just making mistakes and not properly punishing/capitalizing, but it was still impressive. If he happens to get you with a stray up air or f smash, it'll kill at absurd %'s like 30 on Yoshi's. And of course you really have to respect Bowser's shield. But yeah, in general Bowser is laughably easy to rest, WoP, or just combo to pieces.
I've actually gotten to play Gimpy recently as well with my puff and it was a lot more difficult than I expected. This I would more attest to the skill/experience of the player rather than the matchup specifically. Granted bowser on yoshis never seems to be an enjoyable match. If you're patient and don't jump into his forward smashes or fall for his platform gimmicks, you'll be relatively fine against most bowers you'll ever face.

Massive

Smash Champion
I've actually gotten to play Gimpy recently as well with my puff and it was a lot more difficult than I expected. This I would more attest to the skill/experience of the player rather than the matchup specifically. Granted bowser on yoshis never seems to be an enjoyable match. If you're patient and don't jump into his forward smashes or fall for his platform gimmicks, you'll be relatively fine against most bowers you'll ever face.
Keep in mind that yoshi's story is basically the only stage Bowser can successfully gimmick on. If you fight a bowser on literally any other tourney legal stage, he has a hard time doing basically anything.

Sadly, Gimpyfish may be the only truly threatening Bowser player out there, and he doesn't even really play Melee seriously anymore.

Last edited:

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
Yea, I had only mentioned the gimmicks because of the plethora he has on yoshis specifically.

You're right though,
Sadly, Gimpyfish may be the only truly threatening Bowser player out there, and he doesn't even really play Melee seriously anymore.
It's not really a matchup many will have to worry about anyways.

*Risen*

Smash Cadet
Yeah, definitely. I have never played Gimpyfish, I don't think he went to Apex, I wasn't able to find him. Anyway, another hidden boss Jigglypuff player from my area named Spike just did a nice small writeup on the Jigglypuff vs Peach MU using screenshots from a lot of my own sets vs a few Peaches that I have played in the past. Its very interesting. Still working on things.

pkhaxorz

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I don't think we even need proper match-up analysis for B and F tiers(Unless jigglypuff has a really bad matchup in there that I evidently am not aware about). Detailed analysis of the S,A tier matchups is going to take newbs much further, and be less of a possible information overload. Coming from a background in competitive Pokemon, if you saw UU pokes in OU, it was normally for some niche role, that you could develop a strategy for Ad Hoc.

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
Match analysis for every character is definitely helpful. Knowing to respect/poke at DK's shield so he doesn't elbow you into oblivion for example. While they are tilted match-ups in Puff's favor, it's important to know the nuances and or counter gimmicks each of the lower tiers have.

pkhaxorz

Smash Rookie
Match analysis for every character is definitely helpful. Knowing to respect/poke at DK's shield so he doesn't elbow you into oblivion for example. While they are tilted match-ups in Puff's favor, it's important to know the nuances and or counter gimmicks each of the lower tiers have.
I think detailed analysis of all the MUs should be its own guide.

At the UMD smash scene for melee, I think I've seen one person play something that wasn't S tier(_a_ ganondorf)

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
Washington is pretty diverse, I go one day and fight fox and falcos, the next consists of Ganon, luigi, and DK. I agree though, we should just compile a guide specifically for the matchups, it's pretty spread out and finding low tier matchups (with most characters) is next to impossible on here.

pkhaxorz

Smash Rookie
Washington is pretty diverse, I go one day and fight fox and falcos, the next consists of Ganon, luigi, and DK. I agree though, we should just compile a guide specifically for the matchups, it's pretty spread out and finding low tier matchups (with most characters) is next to impossible on here.
Yeah, today I fought a Luigi. was interesting. Was on Yoshi's Story. RIP.

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I don't think we even need proper match-up analysis for B and F tiers(Unless jigglypuff has a really bad matchup in there that I evidently am not aware about). Detailed analysis of the S,A tier matchups is going to take newbs much further, and be less of a possible information overload. Coming from a background in competitive Pokemon, if you saw UU pokes in OU, it was normally for some niche role, that you could develop a strategy for Ad Hoc.
F tier we don't really need to worry about, but B tier is certainly still relevant. There are definitely Luigis, Ganons, and Samuses (Sami?) who will destroy you if you don't know the matchup. And most guides don't talk about these characters, so it'd be good to have one that did.

pkhaxorz

Smash Rookie
F tier we don't really need to worry about, but B tier is certainly still relevant. There are definitely Luigis, Ganons, and Samuses (Sami?) who will destroy you if you don't know the matchup. And most guides don't talk about these characters, so it'd be good to have one that did.
Those are A tier.

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
Those are A tier.
Debatable. Hax doesn't think Ganon is.
Anyways, the point was that most guides cover Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, Peach, and Falcon. Sometimes Ice Climbers. Lots of matchups go undiscussed, which is disappointing. If I run into a Yoshi in bracket, I don't want to get janked out of the tournament because I didn't know the matchup.

Last edited:

pkhaxorz

Smash Rookie
Debatable. Hax doesn't think Ganon is.

Anyways, the point was that most guides cover Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, Peach, and Falcon. Sometimes Ice Climbers. Lots of matchups go undiscussed, which is disappointing. If I run into a Yoshi in bracket, I don't want to get janked out of the tournament because I didn't know the matchup.
1. The target audience isn't going to go to a tournament to win. The target audience is going to be going to tournaments to get experience.
2. Oh my, one individual doesn't think a character is viable. I'll go tell the media. </sarcasm>

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
1. The target audience isn't going to go to a tournament to win. The target audience is going to be going to tournaments to get experience.
2. Oh my, one individual doesn't think a character is viable. I'll go tell the media. </sarcasm>
  1. My point is no one is discussing the Yoshi matchup. Obviously guides for newer players are important, but more experienced players should have somewhere to look for more information. I don't expect myself to win tournaments, but again, I don't want to get janked out of them either.
  2. I hope you'll forgive me if I respect the opinions of people who have been playing for a decade more than those who have been playing a week. When's the last time a Ganon got top 10 at a national? Or even top 15? There wasn't even a Ganon in top 15 at Paragon, in Florida, the Ganon state.

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
Whether you go to a tourney for experience, or to win, most people will benefit and appreciate a little knowledge or things to look out for. A lot of people that read these guides are too scared to go to tourneys in the first place because they not only lose to Spacies, but to the local Yoshi player as well.

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
Very Exited for this guide!! Also Low5_ What tournaments do you go to? I'm up in WA and I need practice.
I haven't gone to many, but I've been to a couple GameClucks here and there, and a free 96 man UW tourney pretty recently. I'm usually at the Monday smashfests at Lynwood's GameClucks as well if you want to play there.

Last edited:

FearTheJiggles

Smash Rookie
I haven't gone to many, but I've been to a couple GameClucks here and there, and a free 96 man UW tourney pretty recently. I'm usually at the Monday smashfests at Lynwood's GameClucks as well if you want to play there.
Do you mean university of WA?

FearTheJiggles

Smash Rookie
Yea, there's a smash club open to outsiders on Tuesdays and Smash fests at GameClucks on Mondays in Lynwood, so if you'd like to play, I usually do my best to go to those.
Can you give me all info on both of those weeklys? (Address, Fees, Times, Days) I should be able to go to the GameClucks for a bit depending on the time. Also does the University have Smash 4?

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
And also would the weeklies be suitable for 12-14 year olds?
In terms of GameClucks, they open at 2pm and for 3 dollars will let you stay and play for up to 8 or so hours (10-ish). The address is "
GamersHaven LLC dba GameClucks
3333 184th St SW, Suite D, Lynnwood, Washington 98037" Theres quite a bit of PM and usually equal melee, but I've only ever seen 1 Smash 4 set-up. However, I'm not sure if it's going to be a consistent addition, but there is a Smash 4 tourney at GC on March 8th "https://www.facebook.com/events/733662896749236". Theres usually about 10-20 people at the weekly smashfests, and it's relatively friendly, so I wouldn't see a problem for 12-14 year olds showing up. The only thing I would say is that the majority of people show up between 4-7 and play will about 9, so that would be the best time to show up for more diverse play time.

As for the UW smashfests on Tuesdays, it's pretty much strictly melee and mostly a packed room of college students within the ages of 16-21.

That's all the information I can find currently.

Edit: From experience (as I do not attend UW myself) your best bet is to contact an admin of the UW smash group on Facebook because they will have to let you into the housing building where the smashfests are held.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom