• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Soldiers of Subspace - Primid for SSB4

Regardless of his chances, would you like to see a Primid as a playable character?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
PRIMID
Introduction
It's the Primid, the Goomba of the Tabuu's army in Brawl's Subspace Emissary. In SSE, they appeared in numerous variations like Big, Metal, Sword, Boom(erang), Scope and Fire.
In Super Smash Bros. 4
While he may seem like a joke character, he is one of the few potential candidates for filling the niche spot of a Smash-Original Character. Plus, he can also be a fighting clown.

Unlike most other candidates for the slot (Master/Crazy Hands, Tabuu, Galleom, Duon, Giga Bowser), he does not have the risk of being relegated to a Boss again. The only competition for the spot is the revival of the Dragon King concept from Smash 64.

Also, Primid has lot of material to work with for making a moveset.

Primids also featured a neat easter egg in the SSE, which can be included in his playable appearance just for lulz, which also makes for a better fighting clown. His face can change each time he respawns after being KO'ed!

A support signature for Primid.

Discuss away...!​

Also, please take the poll on the top of the thread.​
[...The OP is still under construction. Expect a moveset soon!...]

D

Deleted member

If we get a Small Fry enemy from Smash, it should be playable representation of the Zako Team (Polygons/Wire Frames/Alloys/Whatever Smash 4 brings) rather than Primids.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
After playing SSE i was feeling they might add an OC to the next smash. I'm indifferent to his inclusion as a playable, but if he was added i would play as him because i like to get a feel for everyone on the roster.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As long as it included moves from a lot of different Primids to beef out it's moveset. Also every time it respawns it should have a different face.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
As a playable character, he has lot to work from, having swords, bazookas and boomerangs that could be incorporated in his moveset.

One of his moves could having breathe fire, with a costume being based of Fire Primids.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And for his Final Smash, he summons a lot of shadow bugs to him, becoming a giant Primid.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
primid? well sure. I wouldn't care whether its in or not.

coming up from the ground in shadow bugs should be it's entrance

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This is sorta uninspiring, I hope he doesn't appear as a playable character.
Coming from the guy who supports Hanafuda. :troll: I keed. I keed!

I fully support some kind of Primid. Granted I don't think a generic Primid should be included. Perhaps some kind of Primid general?

Also these guys shall always be "purple WTFs" to me.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I have to say... I hate the Primid's design. It looks so dumpy, every single part of it. For something that is composed of hundreds of motes of pure darkness, it sure doesn't look frightening. He's a plump eggplant wearing a leotard that ends with short-shorts, a fez with a feather, and a giant choker. Just give him matching gloves and booties, then he'd officially be the silliest "villain" ever.
Oh. Wait.

... What would they have to do to make him look cooler, I wonder? I might sketch something up... something that could reasonably still have different versions of him to use boomerangs, bazookas, etc.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I have to say... I hate the Primid's design. It looks so dumpy, every single part of it. For something that is composed of hundreds of motes of pure darkness, it sure doesn't look frightening. He's a plump eggplant wearing a leotard that ends with short-shorts, a fez with a feather, and a giant choker. Just give him matching gloves and booties, then he'd officially be the silliest "villain" ever.
Oh. Wait.

... What would they have to do to make him look cooler, I wonder? I might sketch something up... something that could reasonably still have different versions of him to use boomerangs, bazookas, etc.
Maybe since the primids are the least powerful in SSE they look unfrightening.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Fair, but the giant primids are equally unfrightening. Besides... I just don't think the feel of Smash Bros. Brawl really warranted such dopey looking minions. You see them more than anything else, so they need to be designed well.

I think a good comparison point is the Heartless from Kingdom Hearts. They're similarly composed of darkness, they're an original enemy made for a game composed of many universes, you see them all the time, and the game is a mix of seriousness and levity.
Yetttt, some of the Heartless designs are actually pretty cool.
"Sure, give me a boomerang, I can be a primid."​

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I never really thought about the design of the primids. I just kinda beat em up.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
But you have found yourself playing a game and, whoa, suddenly you see an enemy that looks really cool, right? The Subspace enemies just really lacked the wow factor... if you never really thought about the enemy design, it just means that they aren't well-designed.

Not to mention the fact that the enemies lacked any actual unifying theme... I think I would've liked the theme to have been "normal Nintendo minions empowered with evil shadow energy." A fire-breathing dark goomba would've really done it for me.

Look through the list of Subscape enemy trophies... some of them are pretty okay designs, some are awful. I think I'll always like the Poppant who throws you presents, hehe.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
But you have found yourself playing a game and, whoa, suddenly you see an enemy that looks really cool, right? The Subspace enemies just really lacked the wow factor... if you never really thought about the enemy design, it just means that they aren't well-designed.
By that logic I have never seen any enemy that was well-designed. (I'm not counting bosses)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So I guess I was fair in saying that Primids can be compared to goombas.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Oh... eh. Well, maybe it's not true for you... but I do think most people have had times where they actually took note of a character/enemy design and thought that it looked cool. Certainly, nobody ever stopped and thought that the primids looked cool.

THAT BEING SAID, I'm sure they could easily be given a moveset and the such... I just think that a lot of people would be peeved when they see that their favorite character choice didn't get in but a little primid did.

Edit: I'd probably compare them more to koopas than goombas, just because they can come equipped with different weapons. Boomerang primids, boomerang bros. etc.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Oh... eh. Well, maybe it's not true for you... but I do think most people have had times where they actually took note of a character/enemy design and thought that it looked cool. Certainly, nobody ever stopped and thought that the primids looked cool.

THAT BEING SAID, I'm sure they could easily be given a moveset and the such... I just think that a lot of people would be peeved when they see that their favorite character choice didn't get in but a little primid did.

Edit: I'd probably compare them more to koopas than goombas, just because they can come equipped with different weapons. Boomerang primids, boomerang bros. etc.
now that I think of it, Earthbound probably had the most interesting character designs.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
now that I think of it, Earthbound probably had the most interesting character designs.
:) Turn-based RPGs often have good character design, since the player is placed in front of the enemies, giving them a good chance to stares at them. Final Fantasy has put out quite a few iconic enemies (and I guess they're the ones who designed Kingdom Heart's Heartless).

People do agree with me, right? The primids really could have been made to look more threatening/cooler?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
:) Turn-based RPGs often have good character design, since the player is placed in front of the enemies, giving them a good chance to stares at them. Final Fantasy has put out quite a few iconic enemies (and I guess they're the ones who designed Kingdom Heart's Heartless).

People do agree with me, right? The primids really could have been made to look more threatening/cooler?
they COULD have been better, but I kinda grew fond of their simplistic design. first time I saw them I was like OH DAMN, though. they made a good first entrance.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Another thing I have noted is that Primids happen to be the only SSE enemies (not counting bosses) who appear in the cutscenes.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Oh, I remember those birds being shot down by the ancient minister.

Since there probably will be an SSE2, I find it likely that Primids will return, at least as enemies.

D

Deleted member

While a new Adventure Mode can be in the same canon as SSE, it will not be "SSE2".
Why? Because the "Subspace Emissary" is R.O.B.
What do I mean? First, let's look up "Emissary".

Emissary: "A person sent on a special mission, e.g., as a diplomatic representative."
As the Ancient Minister, R.O.B. was this for Subspace. Hence, The Subspace Emissary.

He is no longer the Subspace Emissary at the end of the story. Doubly so since the ruler of Subspace was seemingly destroyed along with the realm itself.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hmm... Good point, Golden. Now that I think about it, Primid can be the next Subspace Emissary, say, on a mission to revive Tabuu...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Primids are formed from the shadow bugs created from Mr. Game & Watch, right? Would the playable primid be another one of G&W's shadow children?

volbound1700

Smash Master
While a new Adventure Mode can be in the same canon as SSE, it will not be "SSE2".
Why? Because the "Subspace Emissary" is R.O.B.
What do I mean? First, let's look up "Emissary".

Emissary: "A person sent on a special mission, e.g., as a diplomatic representative."
As the Ancient Minister, R.O.B. was this for Subspace. Hence, The Subspace Emissary.

He is no longer the Subspace Emissary at the end of the story. Doubly so since the ruler of Subspace was seemingly destroyed along with the realm itself.

Good Point but it can still be SSE2 if it continues the storyline, even if he isn't the actual SSE anymore, the entire story is revealed off his original role. Kind of like the third Hunger Games book which doesn't even have Hunger Games in it. You also have Super Mario Land 3 but Mario is not even in it.

D

Deleted member

I have ideas for his special attacks

Neutral B: Scope gun, just a tap he'll fire 3 shots, hold b he'll charge a power shot

Side B: Boomerang, looks similar to Links

Up B: Jump attack as seen in Subspace Emissary
Down B: Some move by fire primids like fire breath

A neutral: punch, rapid a he'll do lighting punches
Side A Smash: he'll do charged punch.

I'm out of ideas for other moves.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Aww man, I'm not getting time to work on his moveset. Let's see if I get some time today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom