• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

When do you expect a Switch Successor announcement?

• Total voters

osby

Smash Obsessed
DAILY DEMON SHOWCASE

This showcase's demon is of the Wilder race:

1658931058707.png

“ME WILDER TAOWU. ME MESS UP PEACE! ME CAN DO BECAUSE ME SMART! HAR HAR HAR...”

Alignment: Dark-Chaos

Origin: Chinese mythology. A creature that is one of the four calamities; it is commonly depicted with a human head, a tiger’s torso, and legs and boar tusks, covered with dog hair. It represents “ignorance” and is arrogant due to its divination ability to tell it about the past, present, and future. Taowu misguides people with its prophecies, leading them astray from enlightenment, is violent and arrogant, and never backs away from a fight.

Skills: Ziodyne, Masukunda, Eat Whole

Next time, you will meet a demon of the Genma race.

As there are not many English sources on this creature, I have to conclude that this design checks all the boxes: a human face, tiger body, big lying tongue (?), etc… I like how it looks in 3D games and while I don’t know the reason behind the insect wings (aside from the fact that symbolically evil demons tend to have them), they look cool.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Next month is definitely going to get weird for the game if they're doing a Villain Arc and the 3 Year Anniversary. The datamine only covers about about week and a half of content unlike normal. If it's like last year and they do another round of 3 Master Fairs, I'm not sure how they plan on making all of this limited content seem reasonable for most players or even most whales. We don't even know if they plan on re-running Archie/Maxie yet.

SS Brendan - Is looking like another top tier Support unit. Can max Team Crit with it's grid, multiple Potion MP refreshes/Master Healers, it's passive let's it basically use no move gauges, Special Move Up, and can easily debuff Special Defense. It's hilarious though that Latios ended up being a Support unit while Latias ended up mostly as an attacking unit.

SS May - Another Uber Tier damage dealer. Most people I saw were betting on Blaze Kick sucking so it's hilarious to see it having been made into a 4 gauge move. Can max Team Crit, buff Team Speed, can debuff Defense/Speed, lots of solid damage multipliers. I kind of wish she was a Striker so I could use all of the 5* Strike Candies I've stockpiled.

Looker - Our first dedicated Poison Striker in just over two years (Plumeria was July 2020!). Seems really solid and being a physical attacker, he fills a lot of niches that were missing. Thank goodness he's a regular scout and not a Fair.

Courtney - By herself, she's pretty average IMO, but the fact that she's our first Ground Zone unit is HUGE for team building. Teaming her with Maxie and Cynthia/SS Giovanni (to a lesser extent) just breaks the the game. Units who already wreck things in Weather alone getting Zone buffs might result in a new Tier of DPS being made.

Hoenn Champion Stadium being confirmed is nice, especially since it remembered Emerald version with Wallace being included.

I hope people got in their runs in the Legendary Gauntlet before it ended early due to the Uxie bug. I'm glad Reddit/Discord sounded the alarm as otherwise I wasn't planning on doing it until this weekend. Given the rare items it featured, hopefully the apology rewards will be enough to compensate those who missed out big time.

Confirming that older units who already have their grids will be getting buffs is HUGE. I hope this means we'll be seeing 4 units get buffs on the 25th of each month now instead of just 3.
If I had to guess we only get one, maybe two master fairs at most. A pokefair Champion Wallace is pretty likely. There’s almost no way Maxie and Archie aren’t coming back, especially with ground zone now. That’s an easy way for them to farm gems.

The new units are great. With two of them spotlights, I can focus on pulling for one may. Because I still need a good fire type option outside of what I have. Plus like I said, Archie and Maxie have a high re run chance. I don’t have either of them so if they re run I’m definitely pulling for them.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Next month is definitely going to get weird for the game if they're doing a Villain Arc and the 3 Year Anniversary. The datamine only covers about about week and a half of content unlike normal. If it's like last year and they do another round of 3 Master Fairs, I'm not sure how they plan on making all of this limited content seem reasonable for most players or even most whales. We don't even know if they plan on re-running Archie/Maxie yet.

SS Brendan - Is looking like another top tier Support unit. Can max Team Crit with it's grid, multiple Potion MP refreshes/Master Healers, it's passive let's it basically use no move gauges, Special Move Up, and can easily debuff Special Defense. It's hilarious though that Latios ended up being a Support unit while Latias ended up mostly as an attacking unit.

SS May - Another Uber Tier damage dealer. Most people I saw were betting on Blaze Kick sucking so it's hilarious to see it having been made into a 4 gauge move. Can max Team Crit, buff Team Speed, can debuff Defense/Speed, lots of solid damage multipliers. I kind of wish she was a Striker so I could use all of the 5* Strike Candies I've stockpiled.

Looker - Our first dedicated Poison Striker in just over two years (Plumeria was July 2020!). Seems really solid and being a physical attacker, he fills a lot of niches that were missing. Thank goodness he's a regular scout and not a Fair.

Courtney - By herself, she's pretty average IMO, but the fact that she's our first Ground Zone unit is HUGE for team building. Teaming her with Maxie and Cynthia/SS Giovanni (to a lesser extent) just breaks the the game. Units who already wreck things in Weather alone getting Zone buffs might result in a new Tier of DPS being made.

Hoenn Champion Stadium being confirmed is nice, especially since it remembered Emerald version with Wallace being included.

I hope people got in their runs in the Legendary Gauntlet before it ended early due to the Uxie bug. I'm glad Reddit/Discord sounded the alarm as otherwise I wasn't planning on doing it until this weekend. Given the rare items it featured, hopefully the apology rewards will be enough to compensate those who missed out big time.

Confirming that older units who already have their grids will be getting buffs is HUGE. I hope this means we'll be seeing 4 units get buffs on the 25th of each month now instead of just 3.
If older units are getting grid buffs then that means Flint might actually be half decent now

Hopefully

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
So guys.

Think I can finish Live a Live, an entire Re:Zero novel, play the final few bosses of Xenoblade 1 and 2 and an anime series all before 9:30am on Friday?

1658940764450.png

I hope this is about Next Smash Speculation because they are at it again today.
But why?

How about................instead of speculating they create an actual one?

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I like how they were discussing their ideal FE roster with about the same amount of characters we have now and one guy chimes in with deleting all but two (and made the 2nd a Marth echo for no reason).

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I like how they were discussing their ideal FE roster with about the same amount of characters we have now and one guy chimes in with deleting all but two (and made the 2nd a Marth echo for no reason).
My favorite is the roster that cut Lucina, Chrom, Roy, and Ike; only to add three side characters who are decidedly less popular than them.

Smash fans have trouble understanding that Smash is popular because of characters, not because of representation.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I just ordered food at a Japanese restaurant and instinctively said the name of the dish with a fake Japanese accent in front of the Japanese waitress and I'm scared that I'm butchered it and offended her

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just ordered food at a Japanese restaurant and instinctively said the name of the dish with a fake Japanese accent in front of the Japanese waitress and I'm scared that I'm butchered it and offended her
I don't think she'd mind it much. Languages are hard and people mispronouncing dish names is something you'd find funny more than anything.

Which is still embarrassing but it's better than offending someone.

"I'm feeing judgemental" is the nest thing I have ever heard anyone said before doing an attack
Alexander Final Fantasy before casting Divine Judgement and wiping your party.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
What if we cut half the roster and then added three Three Houses characters and reworked Byleth
Oh actually I'll also rework Chrom too and then rework Robin in DLC

Like damn bro, you're just gonna make people who aren't terminally online also hate Fire Emblem.

Dutch Raikuna

That's how I felt after I took my order

I do want to learn Japanese since I want to be a translator and I want to expand my language capabilities but right now my Japanese is very basic right now so I feel like a massive weeb for doing that and not in a good way
It happens it happens.

And always good to see someone else wanting to try Japanese. I've learned quite a lot over the years and I can speak it quite well.

Trying to read it on the other hand?

Miogid111.gif

Its really, really hard.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I don't think she'd mind it much. Languages are hard and people mispronouncing dish names is something you'd find funny more than anything.

Which is still embarrassing but it's
I think its mostly the fact it was a fake japanese accent⚰
I do want to learn Japanese since I want to be a translator and I want to expand my language capabilities but right now my Japanese is very basic right now so I feel like a massive weeb for doing that and not in a good way
I took Japanese in my senior year of high school and let me tell you that **** was hard because of all of the alphabets that we have to learn

Last edited:

Pink Yoshi

Smash Champion
I was involved in the whole FE discussion over in the speculation thread, and I probably looked pretty bad too. Cause instead of Lyn, who people have been asking for for years, I added YET ANOTHER AWAKENING REP :4pacman: Sure hewas as far as you get from a typical FE character, but still pretty bad. :secretkpop:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Look at it this way, better to get it wrong instead of getting it correct and filming yourself in hopes to go viral off a "Speaking Perfect Japanese to impress/surprise Japanese waitress" video.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think its mostly the fact it was a fake japanese accent⚰
I mean, is it that bad?

I've taken several language classes in different languages and the general idea is that you should try and imitate native speakers' way of talking to pronounce words more coherently even if you're not gonna be perfect.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I mean, is it that bad?

I've taken several language classes in different languages and the general idea is that you should try and imitate native speakers' way of talking to pronounce words more coherently even if you're not gonna be perfect.
Yeah, my High School spanish teacher was all about the fake accent to get it correct.

I still can't inderstand most spanish but damn if the fake accent isn't strong when I try.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I instinctively speak with a fake American accent 90% of the time I speak English. Considering how many times me and my friends switch to English that is a lot

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Also known as Slyvester Stallone does Unbreakable.

Aw yeah! These are more superhero films we need. This, Logan, and The Batman!

Take notes Zack Snyder!

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Language classes. I wish I did more of them. I've done:

Irish (not much point really to me)
French and Spanish (can speak basic of both)

One of my regrets when I was younger was not doing more of them. Basic Chinese and a lot of Japanese I'm practically self-taught. German and Dutch I really want to learn though.

Problem is, Japanese I hear everyday in some form so its easy to absorb. Not much for German.

I instinctively speak with a fake American accent 90% of the time I speak English. Considering how many times me and my friends switch to English that is a lot
If it makes you feel better I switch to an English accent when I need to speak clearly to a lot of people. Most people find it hard to understand my Northern Irish English cause of how I speak.

I mean, is it that bad?

Honestly it depends. My Spanish teacher really tried for a while to get us to speak with our Irish accent and turned out fine.

And out of curiosity Osby but if I recall you learnt English young right? Seeing how different it is from Turkish what was the hardest part about learning it?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I mean, is it that bad?

Idk, maybe its just me but i feel ya dont have to fake an accsnt to make it sound right. I know my JP teacher never told us to do that and she was from Japan

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly it depends. My Spanish teacher really tried for a while to get us to speak with our Irish accent and turned out fine.

And out of curiosity Osby but if I recall you learnt English young right? Seeing how different it is from Turkish what was the hardest part about learning it?
Oh boy.

By far the most difficult thing was to get around how reading works. Turkish is a mostly opaque language so the written words and their pronunciations usually match. It was very hard to wrap my head around the same letters representing different sounds at first. English also doesn't have vowel harmony, which makes it extra difficult to pronounce words.

And this is something more cultural but Turkish is very big on honorifics so when learning English, we can be a bit horrified by how uh... cold it can sound? It's a lot harder to convey the social subtleties and personalize my speech depending on the person I'm speaking to.

Top Bottom