• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Brothers Invitational: It's Awesome. Now Calm Down.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Lol so many cringe posts in here. While the article is well intentioned, nothing changes until the player list is known

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm not really sure about the type of front page content that's been popping up ever since that mass hiring of writers for the site...

I (think) I understand the point of the article, and it's cool enough to read I guess, but all it really is is a person's opinion about an actual piece of news. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I kinda feel like some of these articles could just be forum posts.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
What I seek 3 outcomes from the inviational:
1: Footage of the game being played at an high level.
- We all know that all of the situations of people playing the game in the trailers are people who are only developers, but not people who've invested large amounts of time to perfect their skills in this game. And by seeing these pros play then we'll get to see what the character are really made of during this time.
2. Feedback from the pros.
- It's the pros who invest large amounts of time, so when picking up smash 4 for the first time in a tourney then they'll be the ones who'll give a completely detailed feedback of the game. And this will further increase (or regretably decrease) the hype for this game.
3. The final touches for Smash4
- By these players playing this game at an high level then Nintendo gains the ability to fix on certain things and refine them before the game actually comes out and this gives the game a better out of the box experience.

Even though Nintendo might not fully support the competitive atmosphere, they are making headways in trying to make better the game that we all love to watch and play. And any form of trying should be congratulated. #thankyounintendo

009soulmaster

Smash Rookie
NNID
009soulmaster
3DS FC
3351-4049-0686
Switch FC
5W-5347-5287-1408
Nintendo not wanting to be part of the cometitive side is justified by how competitive and brutal people can be. Best place to look is at the online multiplayer of FPSs. Even if We're not like that, doesnt mean we wont be if we get too full of ourselves. So that explains why Nintendo wouldnt want add online play on most of their games like Super Mario or DKC.

As for their tournament. I'm predicting that it would be a 3 stock match. and just one match. with no items and only using the Final Destination forms.

Also I'm predicting Best Buys are gonna have issues with smashers from all over are gonna crowd the demos and make mini tournaments or at least hog them.

Bottom line, behave or we'll be sent back into the dark again.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Ya know, bad first impressions can bad. Like really bad in this case. When stuff hits the fan, it can leave a big permanent stain that will remain for the rest of eternity. So whatever you do, don't do anything stupid. This goes for both sides of the table (looking at you Nintendo and you all who love to compare the game in its CURRENT STATE to Project M. Ridiculous)
That's how I summed up this article. I really liked it btw. And I really hope no one loses their minds at E3, too.

DemoPvP

Smash Rookie
Good article. This is our chance to show Nintendo that Competitive Smash is one of the most healthy, friendly, and overall amazing communities of gaming. This is a big step, but its time for us to repay Nintendo by showing them just what competitive smash all about, having fun
Funny you should say that, because I think that the community isn't friendly. As much as I like Smash and Competitive Smash at that, I really don't like the trash talk on the boards.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Funny you should say that, because I think that the community isn't friendly. As much as I like Smash and Competitive Smash at that, I really don't like the trash talk on the boards.
Online personas are not a good way to judge a community that participates in IRL stuff.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
It's really not indicative at all. Yes most people here are into competitive Smash, but most of us (I'll throw myself in there for now) aren't actually "the community" that people are referring to whenever they use that phrase.

Gravitirax

Smash Cadet
We be good -> Nintendo realizes that competitive smash is not bad -> they start doing events and sponsoring and stuff. It's that easy, right? No? Ok....

Great article by the way.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Nintendo is a family-oriented company with a long history of avoiding controversial topics, politics, and competition. This article is spot on.

I also think it's important to point out, bluntly, that the Smash community has a history of profanity, vulgarity, "allegations" of cheating and collusion, and bad public relations. Arguably our best player went as an ambassador to another country and pissed off his Japanese host. Brawl's top two players tried to split the pot at MLG. There are and have been very public issues that have never really been dealt with on a satisfactory level.

Competitive Smash generates hype and also generates a lot of brand awareness for Nintendo, but having the Smash community's most prolific personalities attached permanently and semi-officially to their brand is dangerous. You know it, I know it, and even if you don't agree with me, Nintendo knows it.

They're putting a foot in the kiddie pool for a reason. The Smash community (particularly the brawl community if I'm being honest) has a lot of work to do if they want to appeal to a company like Nintendo with its traditional, family-friendly sensibilities.
Which is why we NEED to get this thing right. It could be our last chance.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Online personas are not a good way to judge a community that participates in IRL stuff.
Of course not, but they certainly go a long way into affecting whether people want to meet the people behind the screen. I really don't like the discrepancy between the people i've met in my scene in RL and what they're like on the boards (no offense to those people), even though i'm pretty committed as a person and as a player. We need to pick up on our online respectability a little IMO, but alas I digress because here we're very specifically referring to an event that requires RL presence.

Last edited:

ToastyDaMosty

Smash Rookie
NNID
ToastyDaMosty
Show hype.
Keep EVO 2013 in the back of our minds.

Thats what we should do

Top Bottom