• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The smash 4 Gamecube controller.

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
So I got the japanese white smash 4 controller a while back, and other than it's texture, everything feels identical to an old gamecube pad. So why is it that I'm hearing it isn't right for competitive play?

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
So I got the japanese white smash 4 controller a while back, and other than it's texture, everything feels identical to an old gamecube pad. So why is it that I'm hearing it isn't right for competitive play?
People say the triggers are nasty, I don't like the texture personally.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
The triggers feel fine, is it more a personal preference thing, or is there an actual difference between the original ones and the smash 4 one?
There's an actual difference, the new ones are missing a little metal bar.

Yaya Haider

Banned via Warnings
NNID
HeroYaYa
3DS FC
0490-6092-1077
The triggers feel fine, is it more a personal preference thing, or is there an actual difference between the original ones and the smash 4 one?
The newer GC controllers I.E the one's made after 2008 (the white ones that came out with Brawl) there was a metal piece in the triggers that got removed in the newer GC controllers.That's why people say it feels worse. Also i hear the start button is mushier.

But i mean it just comes down if your fine with it. If it's working fine for you then don't worry.

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
What's the importance of the metal bar, does it make the buttons easier to press or something? I've been using it when practicing as Marth, and I can't feel anything wrong with it.

Y-L

Smash Champion
What's the importance of the metal bar, does it make the buttons easier to press or something? I've been using it when practicing as Marth, and I can't feel anything wrong with it.
It makes the shoulders a lot less stiff. You can install the bar from an old/broken controller to a new-age controller too. It just goes right in.

Yaya Haider

Banned via Warnings
NNID
HeroYaYa
3DS FC
0490-6092-1077
Then don't worry about it. I think you have to push back harder or something?

Delta Chae

The Observer
The only difference I noticed were the stiffer shoulder buttons that had a tendency to stick from time to time. To remedy it I just took the shoulder buttons out of a controller with a broken stick and put them in. I did however keep the springs from the Smash controller in.

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
The only difference I noticed were the stiffer shoulder buttons that had a tendency to stick from time to time. To remedy it I just took the shoulder buttons out of a controller with a broken stick and put them in. I did however keep the springs from the Smash controller in.
Any tutorials I can find on youtube? I'm not really handy with tools.

Delta Chae

The Observer
Any tutorials I can find on youtube? I'm not really handy with tools.
I'm not either, but it's fairly simple. You'll just need a tri-wing screwdriver (You can find these on Amazon for less than $2: http://www.amazon.com/Leegoal-Tri-wing-Screwdriver-Nintendo-Gamecube/dp/B000S6AG9G) and a small Phillips head screwdriver.
I couldn't find any videos but there is this guide on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2940c9/white_controller_shoulder_buttons_replacement/.
The controller you are salvaging parts from should be an older one, if you can find someone selling one that for whatever reason isn't usable for any reason that doesn't have to do with the shoulder buttons then you'll need to buy it. Older controllers will have different shoulder housing than white controllers and Smash edition ones. The guide does say not to swap housing but I haven't had any problems with my Smash edition controller since I swapped it. Just make sure everything is lined up properly when you put the back on and you should be fine.

deadPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
The problem with the new controllers is not that the triggers are "stiff," but that they don't press in at certain angles. This is why some people say that they "stick" from time to time. The metal bar that others are referring to helps guide the trigger in when pressed at different angles, so that the trigger always presses in no matter what.

If you press the trigger in perfectly every time though, it's likely you won't notice any difference.

Kadano

Magical Express
Is there any difference between the White smash bros controller and the black?
The black ones occasionally have the old triwing screw type, while the white ones always have the newer type (only found on Smash edition controllers). The older type is better, but to be honest it doesn't really matter.

jonnnnnnnn

Smash Rookie
Not only are the new ones stiffer, theres a certain angle that the triggers get stuck at. Throws you off a bit. I mean it a controller that 10+ years old im just glad its still produced.

Im sure you can sand it down, or find a way.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
I really like the analog stick and how the buttons feel on my black sm4sh controller, but I have an issue with the triggers that's not about them getting stuck, I have to press the triggers much harder than my old official gamecube controllers. Would replacing them with the old ones make it easier? My tools are at a buddies house and I won't see him for another week or 2, so I'm asking here.

The reason this is a problem for me, is that I've played a comfy and minimal hand movement Fox since like 2007. I've never pressed buttons hard or anything like that, because I never had the need to. Now all of a sudden, if I want to waveshine, I have to put a lot more work into it, which I'm obviously not used to. I've toughed it out and still missed a few WD out of shines, but it would make me much happier if I could fix this.

But then again I play Luigi now anyways, who's a little less demanding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom