• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

John Kelly-Collins

Smash Rookie
Have you guys ever considered using cBliss on your pack in projectm? I would love too be able to use all costumes for characters like mewtwo, lucas, sonic, etc.
Just a thought.
P.S. Sorry if this is a double post my power went out and I couldnt see my post on the forum so I wanted too be sure.

Taiko

Smash Ace
On another note, how many people are still left on the team? You guys haven't been pushin out updates as quickly and it's fine but i'm just curious as to who's still actually working...
Our current team is about 11 people, but we're moving at about the same pace as before we started pushing. It's just that a mix of school, Smash 4, and various other things are all taking up more of our time now.

Updated the OP's FAQ section with this info as well.

So I was wondering have you guys considered using cBliss in your pack for the characters like mewtwo, lucas, sonic, etc.? Or maybe a seperate pack in case people dont want that? Just a consideration. Big fan though first hack I have kept for more than a month since the classic expansion.
Likely not, as we'd have to maintain a P:M codeset on top of everything else (which we don't want to do).

Kazon

Smash Cadet
I don't really understand the purpose of the full pack download then. To get all of your finished costumes I still have to download every character seperately and add all the costumes via cBliss right?

Taiko

Smash Ace
I don't really understand the purpose of the full pack download then. To get all of your finished costumes I still have to download every character seperately and add all the costumes via cBliss right?
The full pack is more for people who don't really have extensive knowledge of modding, and just want to get whatever we have done up to this point and add it to their game. If we add cBliss, then there might be leftover files when we switch a character from using cBliss to P:M's new alt costume slots, which could cause issues. This way we're only replacing what the PMBR gives us, minimizing install issues.

The individual downloads and additional costumes are for people like you who have more modding knowledge and can manage their own build.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
We added the extra colors so you, the players, can place them in any slots for your preference. You see, we kept the colors stock on the pack for consistency with the clean and unedited project with the exception of smash 4 recolors. The future version of PM will have extra color slots which will acomodate most of extra colors. Please understand that cBliss was never on our ideals, we did these extra colors just for fun and creativity, then later they will work as filling in empty slots.

And and usual, Taiko the ninja strikes again

Last edited:

Kazon

Smash Cadet
The full pack is more for people who don't really have extensive knowledge of modding, and just want to get whatever we have done up to this point and add it to their game. If we add cBliss, then there might be leftover files when we switch a character from using cBliss to P:M's new alt costume slots, which could cause issues. This way we're only replacing what the PMBR gives us, minimizing install issues.

The individual downloads and additional costumes are for people like you who have more modding knowledge and can manage their own build.
Makes sense to me. This way it is indeed really simple to install the pack. What confused me though is your description of the full pack download.
"The main download pack. Includes everything currently finished with menu assets pre-installed." sounds to me as if it contained everything you've done so far, including all the costumes. But that may just be me.

We added the extra colors so you, the players, can place them in any slots for your preference. You see, we kept the colors stock on the pack for consistency with the clean and unedited project with the exception of smash 4 recolors. The future version of PM will have extra color slots which will acomodate most of extra colors. Please understand that cBliss was never on our ideals, we did these extra colors just for fun and creativity.
I get that. And you've done a more than awesome job with all the costumes, that's why I was so bummed when I found out that the full pack didn't include all the costumes because they all are great.

Keep up the good work! By the way, are the missing characters gonna be released in a certain order or are you guys working on all of them simultaneously and just release whatever gets finished first?

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Keep up the good work! By the way, are the missing characters gonna be released in a certain order or are you guys working on all of them simultaneously and just release whatever gets finished first?
Whatever is done gets put out when it's done.

Last edited:

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
I can't wait til Marth gets redone.

Just... Can't... Wait...

Pokechao

Smash Apprentice
Hey I downloaded the full smash 3 pack for projectM but now it freezes whenever I go into Target Smash mode. Keep in mind its always worked fine for me in PM before I downloaded this. Did you guys do anything with Target smash at all?

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Hey I downloaded the full smash 3 pack for projectM but now it freezes whenever I go into Target Smash mode. Keep in mind its always worked fine for me in PM before I downloaded this. Did you guys do anything with Target smash at all?
I think ths hud for target test is broke. I always crashed on target test until I switched back to the old smash 3 hud.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
No we have not. Do any other game modes freeze? Characters? Stages?

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
can someone lend me the renders of Lucas and Wolf.

(ineedtolookatthemtorememberthatsomedaytheywillbebackforDLCforSSB4)

Taiko

Smash Ace
I think ths hud for target test is broke. I always crashed on target test until I switched back to the old smash 3 hud.
Fixed this, sorry. If you guys find an issue, always let us know right away so we can fix it.

can someone lend me the renders of Lucas and Wolf.

(ineedtolookatthemtorememberthatsomedaytheywillbebackforDLCforSSB4)

ShiningCrusader

Smash Cadet
Just wondering... where did you get the textures for the HUD? "GO!" and "GAME!" look really low-res.
I could redo them in Ps/Ai if the game allows larger textures.

Taiko

Smash Ace
Just wondering... where did you get the textures for the HUD? "GO!" and "GAME!" look really low-res.
I could redo them in Ps/Ai if the game allows larger textures.
Retraced a few, mostly from the 3DS game rip. Sadly the game doens't allow things to go higher (open the info.pac and check MiscData[40], you'll see that GO! technically can go higher, but only by 4-5 pixels).

RIP HD GAME! text.

Obskore

Smash Ace
in the meantime guys, have you ever considered making some smash 3 version of a stage?
be it with the texturing style or any kind of remodeling? i'm just curious since you even went for the HUD edits and such

kazan

Smash Apprentice
in the meantime guys, have you ever considered making some smash 3 version of a stage?
be it with the texturing style or any kind of remodeling? i'm just curious since you even went for the HUD edits and such
read the op ;)

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I dont mean to be a bother, but in the main download, it will still freeze when trying to access break the targets with an accompanying *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..........p* (This will also happen in classic mode too.)

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
I saw a couple of pages back that someone made a Smash 3 awakening Marth, did that ever get released somewhere?
I think that someone you're referring to is me, and as for that Awakening Marth, you mean this, right?

While I was originally going to release Smash 3-esque Awakening Marth on Brawl Vault, this was before the Smash 3 team released their texture tutorial. I'd like to do some more tweaking to some of Marth's textures using the tutorial and see if I can make it look any better. As for when I'll be able to get around to doing that, I have no idea, but whenever this costume is ready, I'll make sure to let you guys know :D

Taiko

Smash Ace
I was afraid that was the case. What a shame.
We'd love to get them higher res, but sadly, filesize. Keep in mind that the preview screens are taken in Dolphin at 1080p, while the Wii only runs at 480i. The resolution is much less noticable there (since everything else is blurry as well).

I do have one question about this project, it's the renders how long did they take you specifically Lucas and Wolf it would help a lot I have always been interested to know if they are quite simple to do. :)
Depending on the character, there's pose dev time, time to set up the render, time actually rendering, and time editing in post.
In Lucas' case it all came together pretty quick, so pose dev time was maybe an hour or two, setting it up took another hour or two, actually rendering it took maybe 20-30 mins each recolour, then editing in post took about an hour or two (plus 10-20 mins for each recolour).
Wolf's editing in post time was much higher due to him having fur (which was all drawn on) so he took a few hours longer than usual to do.

Here's a comparison of unedited Wolf and edited fancy Wolf for reference:

*Waiting for a Smash 3 Update....*
Soon!

Likely not, because that would take a whooole bunch of time.

I dont mean to be a bother, but in the main download, it will still freeze when trying to access break the targets with an accompanying *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..........p* (This will also happen in classic mode too.)
It's not a bother at all, we'd rather get everything fully fixed for you guys. Did you download yesterday's fix? We shrunk it down as it was freezing due to filesize.

I think that someone you're referring to is me, and as for that Awakening Marth, you mean this, right?

While I was originally going to release Smash 3-esque Awakening Marth on Brawl Vault, this was before the Smash 3 team released their texture tutorial. I'd like to do some more tweaking to some of Marth's textures using the tutorial and see if I can make it look any better. As for when I'll be able to get around to doing that, I have no idea, but whenever this costume is ready, I'll make sure to let you guys know :D
This makes me happy, PM me when you're done for advice!

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
We'd love to get them higher res, but sadly, filesize. Keep in mind that the preview screens are taken in Dolphin at 1080p, while the Wii only runs at 480i. The resolution is much less noticable there (since everything else is blurry as well).

Depending on the character, there's pose dev time, time to set up the render, time actually rendering, and time editing in post.
In Lucas' case it all came together pretty quick, so pose dev time was maybe an hour or two, setting it up took another hour or two, actually rendering it took maybe 20-30 mins each recolour, then editing in post took about an hour or two (plus 10-20 mins for each recolour).
Wolf's editing in post time was much higher due to him having fur (which was all drawn on) so he took a few hours longer than usual to do.

Here's a comparison of unedited Wolf and edited fancy Wolf for reference:

Soon!

Likely not, because that would take a whooole bunch of time.

It's not a bother at all, we'd rather get everything fully fixed for you guys. Did you download yesterday's fix? We shrunk it down as it was freezing due to filesize.

This makes me happy, PM me when you're done for advice!

Yes I downloaded yesterday's fix and it'll still freeze
(and if it has anything to do with triforce ganondorf....)

on a lighter note:

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
Yes I downloaded yesterday's fix and it'll still freeze
(and if it has anything to do with triforce ganondorf....)

on a lighter note:

Hmm, does it freeze with any other character?
And neat icons!

John Kelly-Collins

Smash Rookie
Is there a tutorial or base file for doing renders? I have a few custom characters but I don't feel they are ready for the vault I would like to have csps so 1 I dont accidently miss the character (I am very absent minded) and 2 Its there for when I feel they are ready for release.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Hmm, does it freeze with any other character?
And neat icons!
Thank you and it freezes for everyone, EVERYONE (I'm confident on this because every time I get to break the targets on classic, it'll beep and freeze.)

I'll finish the smash 3 css when you have the rest of the renders finished. I'll use them for a custom css I have in the works.

Halcreix

Smash Cadet
Wrong: The Wii can run at 480p with the video component cable, I have my console connected to a Flat screen CRT TV with these and it looks really neat, for Wii standards, that is, since this console wasn't exactly created for HD graphics in mind, a flat screen CRT is all that you need to enjoy the best display it can offer... even on a widescreen LCD/plasma/LED TV doesn't look that good (I've tested it in both Plasma and LED TV's, but the good ol' CRT gives the best image quality)

Last edited:

ShiningCrusader

Smash Cadet
We'd love to get them higher res, but sadly, filesize.
I don't want to pester you on this but I tried modding the info.pac and worked great with the Hi-res texture you posted. Still needs work on colors and aspect ratio, but the size of the image is definitely not the issue in this case. At least Dolphin works correctly. Maybe the wii would hang, but i don't know atm.

Taiko

Smash Ace
Is there a tutorial or base file for doing renders? I have a few custom characters but I don't feel they are ready for the vault I would like to have csps so 1 I dont accidently miss the character (I am very absent minded) and 2 Its there for when I feel they are ready for release.
There is not, you'll have to look up tutorials. Try searching up Blender, it's free.

Wrong: The Wii can run at 480p with the video component cable, I have my console connected to a Flat screen CRT TV with these and it looks really neat, for Wii standards, that is, since this console wasn't exactly created for HD graphics in mind, a flat screen CRT is all that you need to enjoy the best display it can offer... even on a widescreen LCD/plasma/LED TV doesn't look that good (I've tested it in both Plasma and LED TV's, but the good ol' CRT gives the best image quality)
! The more you know.

I don't want to pester you on this but I tried modding the info.pac and worked great with the Hi-res texture you posted. Still needs work on colors and aspect ratio, but the size of the image is definitely not the issue in this case. At least Dolphin works correctly. Maybe the wii would hang, but i don't know atm.
While you're right that it technically might work, we have to add a bit of leeway for things with higher file size. Calahan is still experiencing crashes on Target Smash for example, even though we cut the file size down recently. Adding a higher res asset (which would not be too noticeable on an actual Wii) would only add to the file size more, causing possibly more people to freeze.

Taiko

Smash Ace
Thank you and it freezes for everyone, EVERYONE (I'm confident on this because every time I get to break the targets on classic, it'll beep and freeze.)

I'll finish the smash 3 css when you have the rest of the renders finished. I'll use them for a custom css I have in the works.
Try it now, we've updated it.

Top Bottom