• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
1. Roy looks alot better, i hope that his voice changed too, i really hated his melee voice.
2. I can't see Ryu
3. THAT IS definitivelly Smash 4 quality, doesn't look fake
4. I can't see Crash Bandicoot
5. WHERE'D U GET DAT?

Last edited:

Taiko

Smash Ace
As much as we'd like to do that, we're already way too far in Roy's design to be able to change it. Changing it now would essentially be a whole new character...

drogoth232

Smash Lord
*waits for the model to be optimized for PM*
Yeeeeeah. That's gonna be rough. And it won't be the same at all. You know why?

[CLIPPING INTENSIFIES]
[LACK OF HAVING A RIGGED FACE BECAUSE LOLBRAWL INTENSIFIES]
[LOL PLAYING PM OVER MELEE INTENSIFIES]

As much as we'd like to do that, we're already way too far in Roy's design to be able to change it. Changing it now would essentially be a whole new character...
This. We've put in a lot of man hours on Roy and redoing him would be more than a colossal waste of time.

I hope the project leaders don't get mad again for this.
http://imgur.com/a/Xp7es
Thanks, I can change my skype avi now. Maybe my SB and KCMM ones too.

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
I'm fine with that, that's why I intend to keep Ranger Ike and Melee Mewtwo in my build to help keep PM/Brawl and Smash 4 as separate things in terms of character designs (with exception of Shadow Dragon Marth though, you guys made him look too good to be left out!)

NhgrtPlayer

Smash Cadet
You can do it as an Alt Costume

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
You can do it as an Alt Costume
Yeah. Sure thing.
Let me just open 3ds max, whip up a roy model based on smash4 and get it out in a few days.
Complete with textures, animations, english va clips from johnny yong bosch, and kirby hats

Sounds just a slightly bit ridiculous, doesn't it?

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Yeah. Sure thing.
Let me just open 3ds max, whip up a roy model based on smash4 and get it out in a few days.
Complete with textures, animations, english va clips from johnny yong bosch, and kirby hats

Sounds just a slightly bit ridiculous, doesn't it?
I think Awakening Roy is about as far as we will go for now. If someone else with enough free time wants to do this, then by all means go for it. This man above me is about to retire after a couple projects* are done, can we at least give him a proper farewell?
Edit: Apparently after Smash 3 is done. :p

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
This man above me is about to retire after a couple projects are done
What do you mean "a couple"?

I'm retiring as soon as Smash3 will be released. God knows when that is.

"Hey guys, are we ready?"
"Did someone do X?"
"OH GOD, I CANT FIND X ANYMORE"
"did someone ask for Y?"
"No, we asked for X"
"I thought it was C"
"Hi guys"

The above may or may not have actually happened.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
What do you mean "a couple"?

I'm retiring as soon as Smash3 will be released. God knows when that is.

"Hey guys, are we ready?"
"Did someone do X?"
"OH GOD, I CANT FIND X ANYMORE"
"did someone ask for Y?"
"No, we asked for X"
"I thought it was C"
"Hi guys"

The above may or may not have actually happened.
Oops, my bad... I thought you also had some other collaborations to do, but I guess not...

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
We are about to end, why the fudge you wanna makes us
This man above me is about to retire after a couple projects* are done, can we at least give him a proper farewell?
Edit: Apparently after Smash 3 is done. :p
Many of us are leaving after we're done. Metaknight was the last thing I've done for smash 3. If Planet Wisp gets functional for wii, that will be my last stage... if we manage to get it right.

Cant you update roy, by making him a semi smash 4 roy or something like that?
No.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Cant you update roy, by making him a semi smash 4 roy or something like that?
N-

Damnit, Scout Edel got it first.

Why not let Smash 3C do a Smash threeified Wii U Roy
If they can model it, they can smash3-ify whatever the hell they want. We won't stop them, we aren't the higher ups in PM or something waiting to hit gold before we give you guys all the info of what we did and have a Smash3 version of KJP acting like Prometheus or anything.

Totally not implying anything.

Bottom line is this:

1. Smash4 Roy will not be done.

2. This has been a long journey for all of us. Longer than any of us have expected. Hell, I've been on the team for like a couple of months and I feel like a war vet clone of a legendary soldier.

3. We've had to go through a lot of emotional pain

4. We've had to go through a lot of physical pain (seriously)

5. We want to finish this before we literally stop caring. That's the problem with projects that take so long. The team are all fortunate to have one another to support eachother in times of need and whenever one of us misses a step. The community help us move along and give us motivation to finish.

6. We want to get a high quality product to all of you. No one wants to wait 2 years and end up with a 5/10 product.

7. Just in case you didn't get the memo, Smash4 Roy won't be done.

Last edited:

Kurukato87

Smash Apprentice
So, this is a hack or making Brawl/PM look like in Smash 4, and you don't want to update Roy to his last design? LOL
First of all, get the hell out of this thread if you're going to disregard what the S3Team has said on the matter so callously. Second, aren't you the one who didn't actaually Smash3ify DK because it was too hard? If so, shouldn't you respect their work even more? Third, don't you know that the team aren't robots, they are people like you and me. They have friends, family, school, and jobs they have to worry about. That's even ignoring that thier motivation is running low, no thanks to people like you. This is provided for free and out of the goodness of their hearts, you ha e no right to demand things like that. They have spoken, you should listen or you sound like an entitled fool. To the Smash 3 Team, ignore this guy and keep up the good work.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
So, this is a hack or making Brawl/PM look like in Smash 4, and you don't want to update Roy to his last design? LOL
May I refer you to the OP, otherwise known as the Opening Post of this thread?

"Smash 3 is a visual overhaul of Brawl, with the goal of bringing Smash 4's visual style to Brawl. Though we'll be bringing the visual style, we don't plan on replicating Smash 4 1:1, as there are some things that just can't be brought over. We won't be adding Smash 4 characters. We won't be adding Smash 4 gameplay. We won't be adding Young Link.
Think of it like Brawl was developed with the visual style of Smash 4."

Let's break that down a bit more

"Smash 3 is a visual overhaul of Brawl, with the goal of bringing Smash 4's visual style to Brawl."

But wait, there's more

"Though we'll be bringing the visual style, we don't plan on replicating Smash 4 1:1, as there are some things that just can't be brought over."

Like Roy.

BUT WAIT. There's EVEN MORE

"Think of it like Brawl was developed with the visual style of Smash 4."

If that's too much for you, then I'll chew up the information and feed it to you:

It's using Smash4 designs as cues. Just like how Marth has an Ephraim recolor. Ephraim isn't represented in Smash4, but we used what was seen in Smash4 and made one.

When we feel like we can change the design a tad to match the model perfectly, we'll do so. But Roy's design is VASTLY different. There's no way you can

Remember, Smash3 has been around since BEFORE Smash4 even came out. We've had time to see models like Marth and work with him to get him as accurate as possible. With Roy, this will not happen. Giving you guys SMash4 Roy and rushing to the finish line will result in a very low quality product. If you want that go to Calikingz

Also, I'm pretty sure I sent out a memo about Smash4 Roy. Don't know if you got it.

If not, it says this:
"We aren't doing it"

Please understand.

Last edited:

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Is that too hard to understand that these guys have done plenty of work on pm Roy and by changing the design now , all of their previous work will be pointless? There is also no base for smash 4 Roy which means they need to make a completely new model that would be incredibly time consuming. Do you want these guys to ever get finished with this project anytime soon?

That One Guy2486

Smash Apprentice
Well, here's my question. I don't care whether Smash 3 is going to use Smash 4 Roy or not, what I want to know is where Smash 4 Roy's design even came from. It looks like an original design, which isn't something you see in Smash. Probably the closest would be Smash 4 Marth's gray armor, but the rest is completely New Mystery Of The Emblem.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Well, here's my question. I don't care whether Smash 3 is going to use Smash 4 Roy or not, what I want to know is where Smash 4 Roy's design even came from. It looks like an original design, which isn't something you see in Smash. Probably the closest would be Smash 4 Marth's gray armor, but the rest is completely New Mystery Of The Emblem.
It's takes design cues from FE6 (the chestplate, shoulder pads, and short sleeves) along with Awakening's design (everything else).
Not sure about the headband. Kinda looks like FE6, but could be Awakening's.
Roy is also using the SoS, so that's FE6. But he also has his Awakening Sheath.

In other words, both.

That One Guy2486

Smash Apprentice
It's takes design cues from FE6 (the chestplate, shoulder pads, and short sleeves) along with Awakening's design (everything else).

In other words, both.
Interesting.. And I'd really like to see Smash make more (Somewhat) original designs like Roy got here. Another thing- Fox in Brawl and Smash 4 had a (Somewhat) original design too, his combines Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Command. I think there was a third Fox thrown into the design blender too..

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Interesting.. And I'd really like to see Smash make more (Somewhat) original designs like Roy got here. Another thing- Fox in Brawl and Smash 4 had a (Somewhat) original design too, his combines Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Command. I think there was a third Fox thrown into the design blender too..
I agree. Smash4 has taken advantage of - and in turn- made so many right decisions when it comes to characters: general design, models, textures, effects, animations. It's just all 10/10. I'd actually like to take a peek at concept art if they have it.

That One Guy2486

Smash Apprentice
I agree. Smash4 has taken advantage of - and in turn- made so many right decisions when it comes to characters: general design, models, textures, effects, animations. It's just all 10/10. I'd actually like to take a peek at concept art if they have it.
Finding concept art might take a while, but one thing that interested me- Shiek's design in Brawl (And also Smash 4) was based on concept art for Twilight Princess. I really wonder how Shiek would've fit into Twilight Princess in the first place..

Here's the concept-

Layell

Smash Journeyman
When you stop trying to texture something half decent without turning up the contrast and saturation on the default skins maybe you can talk. The Smash 3 team is trying to tie up this project and send it out. If someone wants to import or model S4 Roy I'm sure a 3C member (perhaps including me) will be willing to make textures for it.

It should be obvious this project has run longer than intended and in its final stages. We don't want Smash 5 to come out before this is finished.

Of course if you'd like you can do it, I won't complain. I'd love to see your results!

Last edited:

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom

In other words, both.
I think the double shoulder pad might be a design cue from Eliwood(Roy's Dad). I think that's where it's from because Roy also has a palette swap based off of Eliwood and the shoulder pads looked really similar to me.

Last edited:

That One Guy2486

Smash Apprentice
I see it didn't take Smashboards long to replace the Project M Roy at the top of this site with Smash 4 Roy.

Although personally I would prefer if the site background and top characters comprised of renders from all the games, not just 4..
(And maybe Smash 3 renders as well)

Top Bottom