• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sheikah Shrine; Impa's Spiritual home of Support & Speculation. Hear our voice Echo for a Echo Fighters Pass!

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
So I have a question for you all, how would you feel if Impa had an amalgamation session Smash?

Like say she had her head from Hyrule Warriors, her physique from Ocarina, and clothing from Skyward Sword.

Or just something entirely new?
This would be a good idea I think. I also prefer her Hyrule Warriors face. From there I think clothing design between her appearances throughout the series would be good. Although, I would be satisfied with her model from Hyrule Warriors even if they changed very little.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
People often dismiss Hyrule Warriors completely because it's a 3rd party developed game and 'non-canon' cause it's a spin off. But it has got massive sales and 2 ports so that testifies it's enormous success so combine that with the fact it was relevant during the Wii U / ballot / Smash 4 era and one of the games which did best on the Wii U and we got a lot of factors on our side.

This also bodes well for Skull Kid btw. Who's moveset potential increases tremendously if we take HW into account.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Impa is one of my requested characters. Just like it's criminal not to have Dixie Kong while we have DK and DIddy, I feel the same way about Impa not being there while we have Link and Zelda.

I could see her as a slower, but more powerful echo of Shiek if she gets in.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Definitely support! Impa deserves a slot and it would be cool to have a Zelda character who's not a Triforce wielder. I'd prefer her in her HW style, but everything else is fine too, as long as she gets playable somehow!

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Impa (along with potentially Shantae, Elma, Dixie, and Isabelle) would also help with some female representation if that's something Sakurai is considering.

I do see her as a heavier, slower, and more powrful character more like Ganondorf as opposed to fighting like Link or Zelda.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really should get to add people to that supporters list... not that I care too much about it, but others do and I guess as a good host as thread creator I should comply.

Also think that giving her more power and less speed would really be a good trade off of Sheik's moveset as a Echo. Been playing tons of Sheik as of late, and you know, finishing people off can be a hassle as times. I like the idea of Echoes being a bit easier to access than the main character, Lucina poses the best example for this. But if say, Dixie Kong becomes a Diddy Echo, I would want her to trade off that better recovery for less ridiculous combos (I love Diddy for this ridiculousness tho don't get me wrong!). Having Marth, Diddy and Sheik being the more "elitist" choice compared to their Echo counter part would add great balance to.the game. Veterans of Smash choose the veteran character, new players choose the Echo.

I also want Impa to take a bit of inspiration from Melee's Sheik. Take that F Air of Melee for example! I would want that as a unique attack for Impa's F Air. And I want her to do her variation of Bouncing Fish with a teleport animation. Neutral B being a singular Kunai is also my preference still. It would suit the more steady and approachable style of Impa compared to Sheik.

Skyward Sword Impa IS quite skinny however so am not 100% sure if heavier is able to look realistical at all, but more power? Sure.

In a way I think she's quite likely still as Sakurai stated with her Wii U trophy that her combat abilities are on par with Ghirahim. Still think she was one of the many considered last minute Echoes for Smash 4, but was dropped for easier to implement characters. Plus she kinda clashed with the TP Zelda cast and wasn't from a Toon Link related game... Guess that all hurt her.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I think I would really enjoy a stronger Sheik, but while I can't be certain, I think it would potentially contradict what an echo Is.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think I would really enjoy a stronger Sheik, but while I can't be certain, I think it would potentially contradict what an echo Is.
Chrom also seems to be a bit different mechanically from Roy. Not as fast, and a little stronger. Or that's what they imply. Dark Samus is reported to be a little floatier than regular Samus as well. I don't think it's too much out of the question to have Impa being a bit different from Sheik like that. Even though I do think the changes will indeed be minimal. So there goes my idea of Impa having a singular kunai attack for Neutral B... But I won't complain in the slightest if she's in!

Redbane

Smash Cadet
I Also Agree with Impa a LoZ Character Rep. I'm not the biggest LoZ fan, but I do think her and skull kid should be the final Loz reps.

I Personally think That although Hyrule Warriors isn't Canon, Impa's Hyrule Warrior Design is the best by far. I find it to be a better vertsion of her SS design. Plus from what I have seen from the Fandom a lot them also really like that design.

I think That Impa should be a Combo Heavy Sword Character. we really don't have one of those(most Sword Fighters are more about Spacing).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So, I haven't really visited here, I think. What'd I miss?
But I support Impa 100%, so you can add me to the list if you want.

I think she deserves a unique style, but I'm ok with her being an echo of Sheik. Would also be ok with echo of Ike or someone like that. (not that I think it's likely)
I love the idea of her having more power than sheik, but making her slower isn't something that they've done with echos. I just know I want to be able to use fair with her and actually feel the power of it, not just a wooshing little hittihit.

I do hope she's as likely as people think for an echo, and that Nintendo changes her up a decent amount from Sheik. Go Impa mah girl.

Last edited:

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
Add me to the supporters list! I've wanted Impa ever since Skyward Sword and even more so when Hyrule Warriors came out. I really thought she was the most likely and most anticipated next potential LoZ character, but it seems Skull Kid has taken that position since June. It's crazy what an early deconfirmation can do to a character's hype in the long run, as Skull Kid's killed his early on in Smash 4.

People seem to be hellbent on the idea that the poll is the end all be all of newcomer chances even though their is a lot more to it like character relevancy. I've become much more open to Impa being an echo after seeing Dark Samus' excellent treatment, as I'm sure many others have, but I do think she is an important enough character to garner her own unique moveset or atleast one that barrows from a number of fighters.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Add me to the supporters list! I've wanted Impa ever since Skyward Sword and even more so when Hyrule Warriors came out. I really thought she was the most likely and most anticipated next potential LoZ character, but it seems Skull Kid has taken that position since June. It's crazy what an early deconfirmation can do to a character's hype in the long run, as Skull Kid's killed his early on in Smash 4.

People seem to be hellbent on the idea that the poll is the end all be all of newcomer chances even though their is a lot more to it like character relevancy. I've become much more open to Impa being an echo after seeing Dark Samus' excellent treatment, as I'm sure many others have, but I do think she is an important enough character to garner her own unique moveset or atleast one that barrows from a number of fighters.
So what you're really saying, is Impa should be a Wolf echo:troll:

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
Or just add Fat Impa from OoA and make her a grappler fighter, seriously that would be awesome and would help the "Impa would just be a clone of Sheik" argument.
That would actually be really cool I love that design of hers. As unlikely as it may be, it would be really nice to have a bigger character in Smash who didn't follow the trope of being greedy for food or being unpleasant.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wonder if certain Hyrule Warrior segments will translate over to the main games. A little detail I noticed is how HW Link is the first ever true Link to begin his career as a Knight of Hyrule. And guess what? That returned in Breath of the Wild, in a even deeper sense. Maybe it's coincidence, but I would love to have Impa be a major character in another Zelda game with a similar role to what she had in Hyrule Warriors. In a way, Urbosa took over that role from Impa in BotW as Zelda's personal caretaker and protector before Link became her knight. Here's hoping they keep the heavy Sheikah lore from BotW and expand on it more. That would bode real well for Impa.

Regardless, this is Smash Bros. Ultimate and I don't think continuation is it's main priority. Hyrule Warriors was HUGE during the ballot days, Impa might just have a shot to make it in after all. Mario received 2 unique newcomers last time when we all expected 1, even got Dr.Mario back. So who's to say that we can't get 2 unique newcomers now just because Young Link is confirmed to return? I think we might be allowed to be a bit more ambitious in this regard.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I wonder if certain Hyrule Warrior segments will translate over to the main games. A little detail I noticed is how HW Link is the first ever true Link to begin his career as a Knight of Hyrule. And guess what? That returned in Breath of the Wild, in a even deeper sense. Maybe it's coincidence, but I would love to have Impa be a major character in another Zelda game with a similar role to what she had in Hyrule Warriors. In a way, Urbosa took over that role from Impa in BotW as Zelda's personal caretaker and protector before Link became her knight. Here's hoping they keep the heavy Sheikah lore from BotW and expand on it more. That would bode real well for Impa.

Regardless, this is Smash Bros. Ultimate and I don't think continuation is it's main priority. Hyrule Warriors was HUGE during the ballot days, Impa might just have a shot to make it in after all. Mario received 2 unique newcomers last time when we all expected 1, even got Dr.Mario back. So who's to say that we can't get 2 unique newcomers now just because Young Link is confirmed to return? I think we might be allowed to be a bit more ambitious in this regard.
Wasn't Impa role in HW very similar to her role in Ocarina of time. I mean there's good reason Impa was the one who saved Zelda from Hyrule Castle and why Zelda was trained as a Sheikah. To me, that's who Impa is, Zelda protector and carer.

Sometimes in my head I like to picture different scenarios, such as if Zelda was getting married, she'd approach Impa and Impa would assume she's about to be asked to be a maid of honour and insists she pick someone else (someone different depending on the current continuity I have going at the time, but it's normally Ruto or Peach) however Zelda stops her, and then she asks Impa to be the one to give her away. This brings Impa to a rare sight of tears, followed by Impa giving Zelda a very heartwarming hug.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Out of all the possible echos, I think Impa has a strong chance.
The other ones are Isabelle, Shadow, Ken, Dixie, and possibly Ninten. I think they're the top 5 echos.

That said, again, she'd deserve a unique moveset too, if they've got the time XD

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wasn't Impa role in HW very similar to her role in Ocarina of time. I mean there's good reason Impa was the one who saved Zelda from Hyrule Castle and why Zelda was trained as a Sheikah. To me, that's who Impa is, Zelda protector and carer.

Sometimes in my head I like to picture different scenarios, such as if Zelda was getting married, she'd approach Impa and Impa would assume she's about to be asked to be a maid of honour and insists she pick someone else (someone different depending on the current continuity I have going at the time, but it's normally Ruto or Peach) however Zelda stops her, and then she asks Impa to be the one to give her away. This brings Impa to a rare sight of tears, followed by Impa giving Zelda a very heartwarming hug.
That was basically her role in Skyward Sword as well, albeit in a different way for story purposes, but still Zelda's protector first and foremost. So that part seems pretty consistent, in a gaming franchise where nothing is really consistent.

Ideally, we would get another game where both Impa and Skull Kid heavily feature in. Also think it's a shame they didn't reuse the models of Impa and Sheik in Majora's Mask. They would've fit very well into the game! With that hidden kingdom lore and all that. Guess I'll just settle with Hyrule Warriors. Amazing game still!

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
Aonuma outright did say that the fan reaction of the impressive cut scenes in Hyrule Warriors influenced Breath of the Wild. Say what you will about Hyrule Warrior's story, but I think it's very cool to see them taking ques from a spin-off title.

I was really disappointed when I found out Impa had been given her old lady role in BotW when her playing role of the young protector of Zelda had worked out so well in Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors. Urbosa immediately became my favourite champion for the very reason that she took over Impa's role as Zelda's care taker.

Also, I was really hoping to see young Impa in the DLC cut scenes considering we got a photograph of her in her younger days, but couldn't actually look at it.

Redbane

Smash Cadet
Same, Although this is kinda Off-Topic, I always liked the Younger Versions of Impa as she is supposed to be her Caretaker and Bodyguard. I personally don't see the older versions of Impa being able to Bodyguard Zelda. (Unless she has some BA Magic up her sleeve). I have always thought of Impa being older than Zelda, but not the Wise Elder Type.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Impa was an old lady and Zelda's handmaiden long before she was the princess' bodyguard. :laugh:

EDIT: One of my favorite things about Skyward Sword is that we got both versions of her though.

Last edited:

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
Same, Although this is kinda Off-Topic, I always liked the Younger Versions of Impa as she is supposed to be her Caretaker and Bodyguard. I personally don't see the older versions of Impa being able to Bodyguard Zelda. (Unless she has some BA Magic up her sleeve). I have always thought of Impa being older than Zelda, but not the Wise Elder Type.
I really liked how Impa seemed much more brash and maybe even a little impulsive in Hyrule Warriors. We saw her as a younger version of herself who still had much wisdom to gain.

In Skyward Sword her young version is quick to judge Link (that line where she says "Do my words sting? Let them." made me love her so much) while her older counterpart has faith in Link and trusts him. I mean Zelda would've been done for if Impa didn't swoop in, but it is neat how she gains wisdom as time goes on.

Standlord

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this has been discussed, but I saw someone suggest Impa as a Sheik/Link echo and I thought that was a great idea. Here's how it could work:

She would use the giant blade from Hyrule Warriors and she'd be mainly based around Sheik (obviously) but a bit slower if possible, and she'd take the following moves from Link:

- All of Link's tilts
- FAir: she would only swing the sword once so, only the first hit of Link's FAir.
- All of Link's smash attacks: same as above, she would only use the first hit of those moves expect for down smash were she would use the two hits (obviously knockback would have to be adjusted).

All those moves would have water effects (just visual stuff). I wouldn't use Link's DAir or Uair because those are very specific to Link and his sword and she could look like Cloud using that DAir and I don't think it fits her.

Then she could use a kunai throw instead of Sheik's needles as many of you probably have suggested (I haven't read the whole thread, too long). I know that depending on how they built echoes this could be unrealistic (although Chrom's aether was slightly Luigified so it should be possible). If anything, they could at least add water effects and make the needles bigger, visible, and kunai shaped, even if the effect is exactly the same and those are only visual changes. Better than nothing. And lastly, if they are really generous she could use a slightly decloned deku nut for her side special instead of the burst granede (this is a bonus but I'd be fine either way).

Also, her appearance could be a mismash between Hyrule Warriors and Skyward Sword since we probably cannot have both, using HW as a base and then add the cape and some details from SS (someone suggested this before too).

So, putting all this together, how would you feel about Impa being implemented as an echo this way?

Last edited:

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
I don't know if this has been discussed, but I saw someone suggest Impa as a Sheik/Link echo and I thought that was a great idea. Here's how it could work:

She would use the giant blade from Hyrule Warriors and she'd be mainly based around Sheik (obviously) but a bit slower if possible, and she'd take the following moves from Link:

- All of Link's tilts
- FAir: she would only swing the sword once so, only the first hit of Link's FAir.
- All of Link's smash attacks: same as above, she would only use the first hit of those moves expect for down smash were she would use the two hits (obviously knockback would have to be adjusted).

All those moves would have water effects (just visual stuff). I wouldn't use Link's DAir or Uair because those are very specific to Link and his sword and she could look like Cloud using that DAir and I don't think it fits her.

Then she could use a kunai throw instead of Sheik's needles as many of you probably have suggested (I haven't read the whole thread, too long). I know that depending on how they built echoes this could be unrealistic (although Chrom's aether was slightly Luigified so it should be possible). If anything, they could at least add water effects and make the needles bigger, visible, and kunai shaped, even if the effect is exactly the same and those are only visual changes. Better than nothing. And lastly, if they are really generous she could use a slightly decloned deku nut for her side special instead of the burst granede (this is a bonus but I'd be fine either way).

Also, her appearance could be a mismash between Hyrule Warriors and Skyward Sword since we probably cannot have both, using HW as a base and then add the cape and some details from SS (someone suggested this before too).

So, putting all this together, how would you feel about Impa being implemented as an echo this way?
If mixed echoes are a thing now I'd like to see her as a mix of Cloud and Sheik, but I don't know if Square would be willing to share Cloud's moveset. Although, I think at that point she would be a clone rather than an echo because having her cramped into Cloud's icon and away from the other Zelda characters would be a little weird.

Standlord

Smash Cadet
If mixed echoes are a thing now I'd like to see her as a mix of Cloud and Sheik, but I don't know if Square would be willing to share Cloud's moveset. Although, I think at that point she would be a clone rather than an echo because having her cramped into Cloud's icon and away from the other Zelda characters would be a little weird.
Yeah that's why I mixed her with Link, I don't think cross series echoes can be a thing, specially not with third party characters.

Edit: although I just remembered how Ganondorf stole Cloud's down smash lmao

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Never came here to say this, but I support.
I will support almost any Zelda newcomer.

I had a similar idea to where she would share some of Ike's moves with Sheik, but cloud also works, really any scenario where Impa is closer to a new character than a echo is a good one.

Also I may alone in this, but I really love the idea of Impa having her BOTW appearance but a younger version. Then maybe we could have a Paya alt!(I just want excuse to have Paya in the game)

Last edited:

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
Also I may alone in this, but I really love the idea of Impa having her BOTW appearance but a younger version. Then maybe we could have a Paya alt!(I just want excuse to have Paya in the game)
If the Zelda team made the concept art for it then that would be great. The HW design has always been my main pick because I think it translates very well into Smash.

Now I may be alone on this, but I didn't jump on the Paya hype train and don't exactly love her that much.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
If the Zelda team made the concept art for it then that would be great. The HW design has always been my main pick because I think it translates very well into Smash.

Now I may be alone on this, but I didn't jump on the Paya hype train and don't exactly love her that much.
They clearly did for sheik so it may be case, either one they choose is still good for me.
Would if they combined the designs of the two? I mostly want this cause I really enjoyed the design of the sheikah in BOTW.

I was under the impression that I was one of the few Paya fans, and probably the only person who would want her in smash lol, I thought everyone was up in arms about Sidon.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I don't think people fully understand what an echo is.

While Chrom did change things a little, I think the most important thing remains, balance.

Every character is balanced in accordance to every other character, except echoes.

These characters are balanced in accordance to one character, the character they're cloning, it's why they're so similar. Chrom only has one of Ikes moves and it's just recovery.

I don't think this is possible when you start doing even more mishmashing

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
Hey Impa thread, I supported her for smash4 so I of course still support her now.

Litterally came here to post this. I imagine Impa using her HW design and being a 50/50 echo split between Sheik and Cloud. I personally would build her as follows, Impa gets all sheik specials except upB which would be climhazzard. Jab and f-tilt from cloud and have every other ground move be Sheik’s. For aerials, she would get the up and down aerials from cloud and forward and neutral from Sheik. Her smashes would be forward and up from Sheik and down from Cloud. I imagine her idle stance would be similar to Sheik’s except she has her giant blade on her back (like shulk) and she almost always has one hand on it.

I don’t think echoes will be this involved, but this is my ideal Impa moveset, it would obviously need to be tweaked so that it isn’t completely OP (sheik fair and cloud up-air, yikes), but I think it would be really fun.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Impa really deserves to be in Smash Ultimate more than Ken (Street Fighter), Hilda (Legend of Zelda), or even Shadow (Sonic).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hey Impa thread, I supported her for smash4 so I of course still support her now.

Litterally came here to post this. I imagine Impa using her HW design and being a 50/50 echo split between Sheik and Cloud. I personally would build her as follows, Impa gets all sheik specials except upB which would be climhazzard. Jab and f-tilt from cloud and have every other ground move be Sheik’s. For aerials, she would get the up and down aerials from cloud and forward and neutral from Sheik. Her smashes would be forward and up from Sheik and down from Cloud. I imagine her idle stance would be similar to Sheik’s except she has her giant blade on her back (like shulk) and she almost always has one hand on it.

I don’t think echoes will be this involved, but this is my ideal Impa moveset, it would obviously need to be tweaked so that it isn’t completely OP (sheik fair and cloud up-air, yikes), but I think it would be really fun.
Really I hope they would go and design characters like this... Impa using parts of Sheik and Cloud's movesets would be ideal. She also would need Sheiks tilts as they fit good as well and it woukd give her more uniqueness as a fighter using both swords and material arts. Magic as well potentially. She would benefit a lot from this treatment ae well as other popular characters as Dixie and Bandana Dee.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Still hoping that when the next few echoes get revealed we get Impa shown off (and preferably Dixie and Medusa as well :)). Or maybe if Skull Kid is indeed a new fighter, then she can show up in his trailer, that way she can get a little cinematic intro like Richter.

Keeping my hopes high for now

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
Still hoping that when the next few echoes get revealed we get Impa shown off (and preferably Dixie and Medusa as well :)). Or maybe if Skull Kid is indeed a new fighter, then she can show up in his trailer, that way she can get a little cinematic intro like Richter.

Keeping my hopes high for now
You've got excellent taste in character predictions as well as profile pictures!

Which design do you think they'll use for Impa? I think it'd be Hyrule Warriors since it mixes the SS and OoT designs, but a lot of people disagree saying that it's just a spin-off title and that they'll go with SS, which I'm not opposed to it's just that the HW one translates a lot better into Smash's art style. I'm opposed to that argument since Sakurai used Ganondorf's model from the 2000 Space World demo, but then again that may have been due to time constraints.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
You've got excellent taste in character predictions as well as profile pictures!

Which design do you think they'll use for Impa? I think it'd be Hyrule Warriors since it mixes the SS and OoT designs, but a lot of people disagree saying that it's just a spin-off title and that they'll go with SS, which I'm not opposed to it's just that the HW one translates a lot better into Smash's art style. I'm opposed to that argument since Sakurai used Ganondorf's model from the 2000 Space World demo, but then again that may have been due to time constraints.
Thank you :)

And personally I'd love it if Impa had different alts from all her different appearances. So maybe her default is SS, but she then has OoT and HW designs as alts.

But if I had to pick one, based on what I think Sakurai would pick, it would probably be SS Impa to give SS a Zelda rep, and also because that's the OG Impa as far as Zelda lore goes

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wish we coud get HW Impa in Ultimate. But I won't hold my breath for it.. it would've been way more likely if Link had gotten his HW outfit as a alternative costume, but he doesn't. So that gives the idea little hope. I also think they will go for Skyward Sword Impa, so every major 3D release is then covered, as well as all the stages.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I wish we coud get HW Impa in Ultimate. But I won't hold my breath for it.. it would've been way more likely if Link had gotten his HW outfit as a alternative costume, but he doesn't. So that gives the idea little hope. I also think they will go for Skyward Sword Impa, so every major 3D release is then covered, as well as all the stages.
it would be nice to get something from HW in there somewhere

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
it would be nice to get something from HW in there somewhere
I mean, they had the perfect oppertunity to design Ganondorf, Zelda, Young Link and Sheik with their HW movesets in mind, but they didn't. So I also don't think they would do that for a newcomer as Impa, or even Skull Kid. Only seems possible if HW Impa scored real well on the ballot.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I mean, they had the perfect oppertunity to design Ganondorf, Zelda, Young Link and Sheik with their HW movesets in mind, but they didn't. So I also don't think they would do that for a newcomer as Impa, or even Skull Kid. Only seems possible if HW Impa scored real well on the ballot.
I don't think they'd change their existing movesets just because of hyrule warriors, they play so differently and their smash movesets are too iconic to just uproot for no reason

Top Bottom