• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the secret to level 9 cpus

Daiseh

Smash Rookie
All they seem to do is gangbang the player or whoever has over 100 damage. Is that how the level 9 mechanic works?

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
Well the CPUs tend to gang up on the player at any difficulty. Just for kicks you should try the following

1. Select Jigglypuff
2. Go to Final Destination
3. Set 3 lvl 9 AIs in a free for all

For the next five minutes all I did was use Jigglypuff to fly back and forth from the top of the stage, fast fall to grab the ledge and repeat. For these five minutes the AIs did NOTHING but tail me at the bottom of the stage and try to throw crap up at me or triple jump to hit me. The only time they got hurt was when one got in the way of another's attack.

One of the lamest examples of AI in a fighting game short of Soul Calibur III.

Really, how did they botch up the AI this badly? Consequently when I play AIs now I only play two and on lvl 8.

ZillaB

Smash Cadet
I can't even beat all the CPU at lvl 9. So when I get pissed off at wifi lag, I just turn my frustration towards I-K-E

RetroRhythm

Smash Apprentice
They are ver similar to lvl 9's in melee; only smarter and not as predictable.

At the same time however, they are not as cheap as Brawl's level 9's. (beware the word filter)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In Melee, level 9s let themselves get hit by items when airborne. However, they're much smarter in Brawl, and know when to dodge in midair.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
if you take the AI head on in these lvl 9 groups in FFA it isnt as bad, they end up hitting each other and will eventualy fight each other(to an extent) still, I am kinda mad they made it this way, its stupid, there is a reason its a free for all. not a team battle of 3 vs player with freindly fire on.:urg:

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
FFA are terrible in this game. Better put them under level 6 if you want some fun.

I prefer team battles. I team myself up with one level 9 (blue team), against 2 level 7, each in their own team (green and red).

Strange but fun setup.

Coselm

Smash Ace
If for some reason you play against computers, and you cannot beat them, then may I suggest using both hands? Or perhaps you should open your eyes? Or turn the TV on. If you have done all 3, and are still having trouble beating a lvl 9 computer, then I feel pretty bad for you.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
If for some reason you play against computers, and you cannot beat them, then may I suggest using both hands? Or perhaps you should open your eyes? Or turn the TV on. If you have done all 3, and are still having trouble beating a lvl 9 computer, then I feel pretty bad for you.
They aren't talking about a lvl 9 computer, but rather three lvl 9 computers in a FFA. They target the human player exclusively. So you basically have a 3 on 1.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
This.

Honestly, for a competitive smash scene, I'm shocked that so many people complain about the difficulty of lvl 9 AIs
One on One it is quite easy for a seasoned player to beat a lvl 9. The trend people have noticed is that in a FFA all the computers target the player.

lotor611

Smash Journeyman
wired guy, what is your beef with soul calibur 3 AI....just out of curiousity?is it not as merciless to you as it was part 2?

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
loyor611 all you have to do is watch the battle theater in SC3 opppose to the one in SC2t o see how bad the AI is, all they do is poke at each other, no combos or anything. You can't learn any techniquess from them.

But ya i hate it when your in a FFA and you get launched in the air and all the computers stop what their doing and wait for you to float down to them, that in my hard isn't hard it to me is cheap!

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
wired guy, what is your beef with soul calibur 3 AI....just out of curiousity?is it not as merciless to you as it was part 2?
The poster above me got part of it. But the AI in SC3 is really unballanced. It actually determines difficulty at random so one fight will be a breeze and the next you'll be lucky to get a hit in. Also a lot more frequently they will input read - something only bosses tend to do in fighting games. So it's terribly imbalanced.

And don't get me started on "Anti-ai" moves; no one move if spammed indefinently should ever beat ANY AI.

SC2 was a lot more balanced in its difficulty. I didn't feel like one minute I would kick an AI's *** only to have the next fight be one for my life. Difficulty was a lot more consistent.

But I digress;

I really don't have a problem with Brawl's overall AI - level nines aren't really much of a problem on their own. But seeng as the AIs just tend to gang up on the player when in groups it defeats the purpose of free for alls in totality. I can beat a lvl 9 AI one on one, and most of the time when I've got two of them in free for all. but a 4 player free for all is more of a 3 v 1 scenario for the player. When I get knocked off the stage they all rush to the edge to guard. They never attack each other, they just stand there and wait for me. One AI doing that makes sense, but for all three to be standing there and not attack at all till I Get there is ********.

I really should upload that video of me as Jigglypuff flying around for 5 min as the AIs do nothing but follow me.

Mario_PHD

Smash Rookie
I'm suprised with all those long delays for the game they let something like this AI-FFA problem go by. Atleast one on one the AI is more challenging, SSBM lvl9's were pathetically predictable. 2 lvl 9s teamed against a human player in Melee isnt even hard, they walk right into smash attacks.

Top Bottom