• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Seas are Mine to Conquer!

The Seas are Mine to Conquer!

AlMawile

Smash Rookie
NNID
RTZero
AlMawile submitted a new guide:

The Seas are Mine to Conquer! - A guide to setting sail with Toon Link.

Hello. My name is AlMawile. I am a farly new member of the community. I've started competitive play in September, but I have always played with Toon Link even in my casual smashing days.

This guide will cover everything from the basics to combos and general strategies. I will cover things such as the use of his projectiles, what I like to call "Bomb Combos", and advanced techniques like Perfect Pivoting uses.

Before you go ahead and read this guide, keep in mind that this is all from...
Read more about this guide...

BlazingEmperor

Smash Rookie
Nice guide, I mostly never used up throw but I think I will give it a chance!

Could you explain to me what is arrow lock? Is it covering your approach with an arrow since its slow?

And im interested in your Fair > Zair > Fair string, do you have footage of you or anyone using this?

Thank You

Last edited:

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
I had something to point out about the combos section. It should be titled strings because the word combo usually means guaranteed damage.
  1. Fair>Fair
  2. Fair>Zair>Fair>Zair>Fair
Are just to examples of what I saw. These are not only DIable. You receive a huge amount of lag and the knockback on fair is kind of big. You also really should not approach with Fair. It doesn't have good priority nor good range. I can see Zair into fair being an option, but don't quote me on that. Other combos that just don't work is pretty much all of them that you listed.

1. Boomerang>boomerang>boomerang>fsmash
  2. Hero's Bow>arrow lock> fsmash
  3. Hero's Bow>dash attack
Arrows do not combo at all as there is barely any stun. Only enough to just cause them to quiver. I don't think there is any situation either where you should be getting three boomerangs in a row unless your opponent is just mashing A.

If it where me, I'd change the title of that to Strings and list things like Bomb > fair, Bomb> nair, Zair > fair as a mixup. Toon link doesn't have much of any combos except for uptilt spam. Also when listing strings, you should also list what percent ranges they work at. Like low, medium, or high for example. Give maybe a range like (0-15 percent) at the top to represent what low, med, or high even mean. Also most of our strings are just two hits.

I can list a couple more that I know that work at low percent. I also must clarify that not all strings are guaranteed damage. I'll run some of these over with my friend to make sure.

Zair>grab
Bomb>grab (Only at low percents [0 to 25?])
Bomb>nair/fair

Well that's all I can think of

Have a good one and welcome to Smashboards and Toon link boards especially!

Last edited:

AlMawile

Smash Rookie
NNID
RTZero
I had something to point out about the combos section. It should be titled strings because the word combo usually means guaranteed damage.
  1. Fair>Fair
  2. Fair>Zair>Fair>Zair>Fair
Are just to examples of what I saw. These are not only DIable. You receive a huge amount of lag and the knockback on fair is kind of big. You also really should not approach with Fair. It doesn't have good priority nor good range. I can see Zair into fair being an option, but don't quote me on that. Other combos that just don't work is pretty much all of them that you listed.

1. Boomerang>boomerang>boomerang>fsmash
  2. Hero's Bow>arrow lock> fsmash
  3. Hero's Bow>dash attack
Arrows do not combo at all as there is barely any stun. Only enough to just cause them to quiver. I don't think there is any situation either where you should be getting three boomerangs in a row unless your opponent is just mashing A.

If it where me, I'd change the title of that to Strings and list things like Bomb > fair, Bomb> nair, Zair > fair as a mixup. Toon link doesn't have much of any combos except for uptilt spam. Also when listing strings, you should not only list what percent ranges they work at. Like low, medium, or high for example. Give maybe a range like (0-15 percent) at the top to represent what low, med, or high even mean. Also most of our strings are just two hits.

I can list a couple more that I know that work at low percent. I also must clarify that not all strings are guaranteed damage. I'll run some of these over with my friend to make sure.

Zair>grab
Bomb>grab (Only at low percents [0 to 25?])
Bomb>nair/fair

Well that's all I can think of

Have a good one and welcome to Smashboards and Toon link boards especially!
Thank you for the feedback. I was thinking of calling them strings too. I don't have access to my laptop so I can't update the guide, but thanks anyway. I will make some corrections, and I am planning on adding images and videos to explain what I mean. But what you said was right, since I tested some out and found that they only work on certain characters. watch my guide for more updates, since I plan on adding updates. I encourage feedback like this. Thank you.

AlMawile

Smash Rookie
NNID
RTZero
Nice guide, I mostly never used up throw but I think I will give it a chance!

Could you explain to me what is arrow lock? Is it covering your approach with an arrow since its slow?

And im interested in your Fair > Zair > Fair string, do you have footage of you or anyone using this?

Thank You
An arrow lock is an advanced technique. I will make a section on those, but you can find the AT thread in the forum. As for the string, I will post videos once my guide is complete. watch the guide for updates. And up throw is a good option.

GalaxysAreRad

Smash Rookie
NNID
Soul_of_Sora
Nice guide but ya forgot one little combo, at mid-high percents if you hit them with a bomb close up you can 9/11 times follow up with a fair. Really good killing option.

Top Bottom