• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The search for local Brawl

virdicyer

Smash Rookie
Link to original post: [drupal=1264]The search for local Brawl[/drupal]

So I've been at this for quite some time; that is, looking for local Brawl players. I've tried various searches, friend finders, and forums (threads, PMs, emails). While I've been able to talk to a handful of local players (and learned of previous attempts and their failures to come to fruition), no actual Brawling took place and the players disappeared. I'm sure there were numerous reasons why luck frowned upon such an epic journey; but I'd prefer to just think of it as a fact: those players weren't real SSB fans.

I just recently posted an ad on the local CL (due to sibling insistence) with little hope of finding anyone. It's only been a day and I've gotten two inquiries -- maybe it's not fruitless (though it's target population is rather small)...

A few minutes ago, I found another site 'not4dating' that may be the answer to my quest -- a site for finding LOCAL people to have fun with. It may be a new site, but it's the only one I've found that's made specifically for such a task -- finding local SSB players. With some development and word spreading amongst SSB players, I'm sure it can be a good hub for player-finding.

D

Deleted member

I feel your pain. In West Virginia there is NO ONE local.

virdicyer

Smash Rookie
Any tips for finding such players would be appreciated.

I was just thinking about getting some SSBB t-shirts that have the invitation on them so anyone that sees me would know what I want. All I've found is iron-on cheapness so far.

not_corey

Smash Cadet
I feel your pain. In West Virginia there is NO ONE local.
True that... Im trying to get good enough to start going to tourneys this summer and Ive only got 2 people to practice with. Every time I see people on here from WV I send them a PM and so far no replies... :ohwell:

virdicyer

Smash Rookie
I've gotten a few replies of interest and plans to play but no one's ever actually shown up. If I don't get any solid hits by the end of the year, I'm gonna give up on this city.

auroreon

Smash Ace
I so feel your pain.

At least you don't live in the UK... a remote part of the UK. Yea, its pretty lonely.
The only time I play brawl offline is when Im with my friend who lives 100 miles away.

virdicyer

Smash Rookie
Searched -- no local tournies. Kansas tournies, sure; but it's not like I live in Rhode Island -- Kansas is a big state with long travel times if something isn't actually "local".

There was one person interested in meeting to play -- which I found from my CL ad. We set a time and day. The day came and past but he didn't show.... maybe that's just because it was spring break week. *Crosses Fingers*

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Haha, I know your pain. The year I was in Canada (first 4-6 months of the game's release), I couldn't find anyone to Brawl and didn't have online capabilities.

Also, my brother who lives in France has the same problem.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
There isn't any local players here either, besides scrubs, and one other good person.

But really, playing one person too much focuses my playstyle around his one character, who is IMPOSSIBLE TO GIMP.

I'm Mario, I need to be really good at gimping :( Not that I'm not, but I'd be better if I didn't play Peach all the effing time.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I know what you mean Xero.

The only Wolf player around here plays kind of differently from other Wolf mains, as he has pretty much perfect aim on that sideB, and will punish you with it every time you leave the ground (though he does neglect certain other parts of his game.). As a result, I have grown used to fighting Wolf in grounded battles.

Well, I went up against a moe conventional Wolf the other day in a tourny, and I got ***** because I was so used to not leaving the ground against him.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I think we all face the same problems. Hell, I'm in boston. College scene, lots of people, but I can't find anyone. Every time I hear of an event, it's near WPI or a car drive away from boston. Problem is that I don have a car - living in boston will do that, as there are no parking spaces. Hell, I joined sister site AllisBrawl.com and used their "regional zone" thread desperately trying to find people for weekly friendlies... but to no avail. I was expecting someone to come out with a "smash compendium" for Brawl... And I'm not a fan of Wi-Fi so...

virdicyer

Smash Rookie
Indeed -- those I play with limit themselves to a handful of characters so I'm not too good at fighting anyone else.

So the person that said he'd meet and play that didn't show up last week said he was too busy with work. He said he'd email me sometime Thursday as to whether or not he'd be able to make it on Saturday. This could be the start of a chain reaction. :bee:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I hope so. A chain reaction* is how I met the people I play with now, and now my city actually has a pretty big smash scene (people from across the state come play with us).

*By chain reaction I mean I overheard someone talking about DK cargo throws in my college's library and pretty much went *GASP! BRAWL!*.

virdicyer

Smash Rookie
So he ended up emailing on Friday to say that he'd be too busy to play and would email when he's free. I guess I still need to look for real SSB players.

Flan

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I know your pain. The year I was in Canada (first 4-6 months of the game's release), I couldn't find anyone to Brawl and didn't have online capabilities.

Also, my brother who lives in France has the same problem.
what part of Canada were you in? most parts have had large Melee and Brawl community for a long time.

Top Bottom