• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Samus Match Up

Tiptup

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone,

I'm having particular trouble coming up against Samus. Obviously because of her range of projectiles (I have similar problems with Robin and Ness but I can most of the time adapt to the play style and win). However with Samus I find that every person I play i similar and despite knowing what they are going to do I still don't know how to approach effectively. Any advice?

Currently my strategy is to mix up between Spin dash and dash attack. However, one missile and im back at square one..

Glitchin

Smash Rookie
Have to learn to roll at the right moment to avoid them. Also the homing attack is perfect for a person spamming missiles. Roll past one, jump up and homing attack them. Do it a couple times and they'll have to change their strategy.

A great thing about the homing attack is also that many sometimes mistake it for a charging spindash, leading them to not dodge/shield. It's surprisingly good at killing too, if your opponent was standing close to the edge. I think it's the reason why Sonic is so much better this game, because his homing attack actually works now.

Last edited:

ZombieHedgehog

Smash Rookie
You can't really approach Samus from the ground, which is a huge disadvantage for Sonic. If Samus is sitting at the edge of the stage firing projectiles, as she so often does,I try to get to about center stage and come in from the air with homing attack or just jumping in with a neutral air. Also, use the spring. So useful for a quick approach from below or as a projectile from above.

iSpiN

Smash Journeyman
HA is your friend. Shield approach and bait the grab. As said before you can't play on the ground so go for grabs and maintain pressure.

UnsuspectingVillager

Smash Cadet
NNID
Blockyraccoon
3DS FC
0430-8629-1274
While in your Side-B: if you press Y or X (Depending on what your jump is set to) you'll hop, allowing you to jump around projectiles and play mind games.

Last edited:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Samus is bad. Running shield is your friend. Her projectiles don't do a lot of shield damage, outside of maybe fully charged neutral b. She's awkwardly slow and floaty, so you should be able to juggle her in the air. Your ground game is better than hers. Spins can go under projectiles. Well timed side b will go through all of her projectiles. Including fully charged neutral b. Grab a bunch. If they roll, grab or dash attack. They're the easiest options. I dunno what else to say. I've never had a problem with this matchup in brawl or this game. Seems like one of Sonic's easier matchups.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I **** you not that I was going to post simply "Samus is bad." Thanks for the expansion, Phoenix.

:093:

SonicTHP

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicTHP
3DS FC
4897-6845-2284
Keep close to her and when at range approach from above or behind. The anti air attacks are either slow (utilt), unreliable (usmash) or high risk (screw attack). Basically force her to adjust her range as much as possible, since she plays best at mid and long range. Projectiles can be baited and Sonic simply moves too fast for Samus to control with projectiles.

Players that are better with Samus will fight you at close range though and may try to keep you at her ftilt and dtilt distance and punish predictable dashes/dash attacks, dash grabs with her unsafe tether throw. At higher percentages watch for Samus players that know when to screw attack because it does kill now.

I wouldn't say Samus is bad (because she's also my alternate main), but Sonic definitely has the tools to beat her despite the range game.

Bighands-Senpai

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-4982-0219
Samus is very easy to juggle and Sonic is very good at juggling so...
If you have trouble getting near her with all her projectiles, try to jump as you charge side b. Sonic has pretty good air control while doing this and it will allow you get near her before releasing the attack and dem air combos afterwards

Top Bottom