• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Salt Lake Chronic

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
Anyone up for a short story? I should mention now that Salt Lake is a suburb of Honolulu.
Background information, if you'd like it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake,_Hawaii
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Ala+Napunani+St&daddr=21.359579,-157.900196&hl=en&geocode=FbDrRQEdE6KW9g%3B&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=18&sll=21.359784,-157.900169&sspn=0.002313,0.003455&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=18

-------- The Salt Lake Chronic --------​

The moon was full, the air was cool, and the winds were piercing, as they always are in Salt Lake. That night, no one saw what was coming. No one could have known that the mystery of the decade would play itself out in the quiet town.

At the corner of Ala Napunani Street and Moanalua Road, the large hill goes unnoticed by those who drive by. Only those who slowly walk by can see the secrets of the hill. Only those who walk by can see the signs of life on the hill. It’s no secret that people from Hawaii are fond of their folklore, but on the hill lives something that most Salt Lake residents would rather not think about.

On that cool night of October 1st, 2003, a young man in his daily exercise walked past the hill. His shoelaces had untied themselves, so he stopped to fix them. As he finished tying his left shoelace, the sweat of his forehead madly dripped onto his shirt. He recalled how chilling the breeze was and how quiet the night was. What interrupted the stillness of the night was a shriek so eerie and twisted that those who live as far away as Foster Village are still haunted in their dreams. At the terrible sound, the young man jumped to his feet, but his assailant was fast.

The man’s bloody body was found the next morning. It was determined that he was beaten to death with a sledgehammer. The killer left a message for the world on the victim’s cool and colorless corpse. The message, written with the blood of the victim, reads as follows:

It’s just a dream, a state of mind
Where morality trails far behind.

Those who examined the case were convinced that the killer was deranged and recklessly dangerous. They thought he was perhaps demon possessed. Actually, the killer was an ordinary teenager, like you and me.

At the Salt Lake Shopping Center, the killer watched and waited. He looked for his next victim. When night came, the blood rushed through his body, but he waited a while for the same stillness, the stillness that makes our ears ring with terror.

He spied out his victim, a woman in fashionable clothing. She listened to her iPod; the song was “Forever”, by Chris Brown. She walked to the ATM and entered her information. Her iPod’s battery died in the middle of the song, so she put it in her purse. The killer readied himself as silence loomed over the area. The woman became noticeably nervous, and she froze with fear. At that moment, she was beaten with a sledgehammer. The killer was unmerciful, and his eyes burned with the cold killing spirit of Jack the Ripper.

At each strike of his hammer, he said to himself, “I’m dreaming.” He searched through his being for the door to ultimate consciousness, and that night he found it for the first time. He entered into a world painted with black and white. He saw a white man and a white woman, both clothed in black. He saw himself, as white as them, and with black clothes. The killer stole their clothes and put them on himself, so that he became increasingly black. This he did to other white figures who walked by, until he became as black as the night. Soon, he vanished onto the black canvass of his mind.

Here, he regained consciousness. He found himself, with sledgehammer in hand, on his lonely hill at the corner of Ala Napunani Street and Moanalua Road. We cannot know what became of him, but since the unfortunate murders, the people of Salt Lake kept a reminder for themselves and also warned others with this saying:

So while passing through Salt Lake, keep in mind
That a killer might be creeping not too far behind.

-------- End --------​

What did you think? (Constructive comments, please, if you don't mind.)

=) Thanks

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Instead of a short story, this would be characterized as flash fiction, since it's less than 1,000 words. The form has its advantages, but it doesn't allow for any kind of character or plot development. As such, what we're being treated to here is the momentary musings of a serial killer. I think that idea works well for the form.

At the same time, since you have so few words to work with, you must write with laser precision. You focused on the running man and the woman at the ATM a little too much, and their deaths occur from their own perspective. Instead, re-write those incidents from the perspective of the killer. What does he feel when he sees them? How does he rationalize what he's doing? Why this person? These are all questions that are unanswered, but could be if you look at the world continually through his eyes.

There are some other editing changes I would make, but I'll hold off on those for the time being. For now, take what I said into consideration and see where it takes you.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
I never really thought about perspective like that while I was writing this. If I should ever get around to rewriting it, I'll be sure to take your suggestions into consideration.

What did you think about the narrator's presence in the story? Does he add anything valuable? I wrote this story for my friends at school, so that's why I made the narrator a little personal.
But I'm really a noob at this style of writing, I suppose. I was aiming for an urban legend-type story.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Perspective plays a huge part in writing, especially with a shorter piece. If you're looking to make this more into an urban legend, than the story should be told in bits and pieces by people who had nothing to do with the events themselves. Something like,

"I heard he beat a woman to death with a sledgehammer," Marty said.
That way, the events take on the second-hand quality necessary to construct an urban legend. After all, an urban legend is just an exaggerated account of something that really happened, and what you have here is a factual account of the events. Things need to be blown out of proportion, and there needs to be doubt regarding the events in order to reach that urban legend status.

The narrator is fine, and you're always going to need one anyway. Don't worry too much about that, because the narrator isn't very important to this piece; he's just saying what happened.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
If I write the story in bits and pieces told by people, as you suggested, wouldn't it only become an urban legend to the people in the story? I wanted a story that one could read to his friends in a dark room.

But I see what you said about out-of-proportion legends. That's something I'll need to work on and somehow incorporate into the story.

EDIT:
This title is misleading
I guess it is. So, obviously, by "chronic" I did not mean a druggy doper guy. I wrote the story mostly on the foundation of the "I'm dreaming" line near the end of the story. It was based on one of my friends who has crazy methods of trying to have lucid dreams and trying to "tap into his pineal gland." So by "chronic", I meant more of a type of disease, a disease that needs to be cured before it slowly and eventually reaches the level of the killer's in the story.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Part of the suspense in reading a story is not knowing what's true and what's not. If the people in your story don't know just how dangerous the serial killer is, then neither will your audience, and that will heighten the tension and enjoyment for everyone.

Top Bottom