• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sad Dinosaur: Concerning Yoshi's Recovery

Metapod

Smash Rookie
Hey so I had an idea:
What if Yoshi could use his double jump after using his up-b?

Normally, a character loses any jumps remaining if they use their up-special, but that's because that move is typically a recovery move.

But Yoshi has no recovery move :(

So why not let him jump after his up-special? Of course, this is assuming he hasn't jumped a second time yet.

I think this would help Yoshi inordinately, since it would allow him to recover better. He could throw an egg, hit the edge-guarding opponent, and get back on stage with his second jump. While the armour from his second jump usually suffices for getting through an opponent's guard, some attacks, like Mario's Cape, absolutely devastate our little buddy.

It was just an idea, I'd like to see what anyone else has to think about it.

Also, I think yoshi's side-b should be a bit stronger, too many attacks hit him out of it, but that's not as important as this other idea.

Thanks for reading!
~Metapod

Dyl9

Smash Cadet
I'm fairly sure that you could already jump after up B. An interesting change that they could add to this is letting you jump cancel the up B so you loose less altutude, but that seems unnecesary as Yoshi's recovery is decent already.
You can jump -> side B -> airdodge already which is huge. The airdodge is especially important as it will get you through things that would break double jump amour. Annother possible change which I have heard suggested in relation to this is allowing Yoshi to grab the ledge quicker after airdodge so he has more options.

AlfaStryke

Smash Apprentice
You can jump -> side B -> airdodge already which is huge. The airdodge is especially important as it will get you through things that would break double jump amour.
Couldn't agree more, at first I thought :4yoshi:'s recovery was not that great until I utilized the side B -> Air Dodge. Now its harder for my opponents to gimp me and It greatly increases my recovery options so I can deal with edge-guarders better.

Last edited:

Dyl9

Smash Cadet
Nobody ever predicts the airdodge.....Except for that one falcon player that thought it was a good idea to throw out a falcon punch hoping that I would run into it. :glare:

AlfaStryke

Smash Apprentice
Yeah even when I play yoshi dittos (im not the only Yoshi main in Columbus) my opponent thinks im going to Side B on to ledge but nope I mix it up by landing on stage using air dodge. Great against Marth's dumb edge guarding **** too

Super Papi

Smash Rookie
metapod, you may be playing with tap jump on which sometimes results in a loss of jump if the control stick is jammed all the way up when throwing an egg. Would recommend that you either take tap jump off or tilt up when throwing an egg. Cheers!

Metapod

Smash Rookie
metapod, you may be playing with tap jump on which sometimes results in a loss of jump if the control stick is jammed all the way up when throwing an egg. Would recommend that you either take tap jump off or tilt up when throwing an egg. Cheers!
:O ....thank you. Thank you SO much. That makes a lot of sense. And I already knew about side-b airdodge--believe me, after a few times they figure it out.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
that's why you play creatively. yoshi's recovery is almost dumb it's so good.

Stompu

Smash Apprentice
I think Yoshi doesn't necessarily need an up-b
His double jump is the biggest in the game iirc
Its cool, he's defined by having a massive, but standard jump, with no special recovery

It'd be like giving jigglypuff a recovery up-b

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
Maybe Yoshi could jump-cancel his Down-B once while airborn. This would really help him avoid edgeguards and Gimps while also giving his recovery an option that helps slow down his fall.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
No, if he can cancel it in the air, then he'd be able to cancel it from starting on the ground; that would give him too much potential to abuse it for followups on grabs n stuff. Plus Yoshi moves so fast from the ground that a cancel would send you skyward, much like canceling Ike's Ether mid jump in turbo mode. That's too much broken janky **** for this character, Yoshi is already dumb

Last edited:

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
No, if he can cancel it in the air, then he'd be able to cancel it from starting on the ground; that would give him too much potential to abuse it for followups on grabs n stuff. Plus Yoshi moves so fast from the ground that a cancel would send you skyward, much like canceling Ike's Ether mid jump in turbo mode. That's too much broken janky **** for this character, Yoshi is already dumb
That doesn't HAVE to be the case. Bowser's grounded Down-B can be cancelled if started from the ground but not in the air. I'm sure it can be reversed for Yoshi's Down-B.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't need to considering that Down-B is an amazing skill as is.
Eh, I guess. I mean it is amazing for grabbing the ledge from above but I can't really think of any other uses...

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
Eh, I guess. I mean it is amazing for grabbing the ledge from above but I can't really think of any other uses...
grounded down b can destroy a well read shffl, the beginning hitbox can also stuff some moves if you get your hitbox out first. I try to save the move for just one or two cases a match and no one ever sees it coming.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
grounded down b can destroy a well read shffl, the beginning hitbox can also stuff some moves if you get your hitbox out first. I try to save the move for just one or two cases a match and no one ever sees it coming.
Thanks, have a like.

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
guys, he gets shine spiked by falco, it basically nullifies falcos terrible offstage edgeguards

Top Bottom