• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Robocopter

Sharky

Smash Master
Ello all. I'm mostly known here on swf as a yoshi player, but I use R.O.B. often in tournament play, as well. Aaaaaanywho, I was doing some thinking, and at one point Lucas came to mind, and all of his AT's. One of those is called the Zap Jump, where you press the jump button and the forward b at the same time, and Lucas gets a Good size jump boost. Well, guess what? ROB DOES IT TOO! Along with the jump boost, if you keep tapping B, his decent will be considerably slower for a short time, as well. I figured since R.O.B.'s arms work like a helicopter, anyway, Robocopter sounds like a good name for the R.O.B. equivalent. What do you guys think? (sorry, I don't have recording equipment, otherwise I'd gladly post it)

MarthIsMyHero

Smash Apprentice
Ello all. I'm mostly known here on swf as a yoshi player, but I use R.O.B. often in tournament play, as well. Aaaaaanywho, I was doing some thinking, and at one point Lucas came to mind, and all of his AT's. One of those is called the Zap Jump, where you press the jump button and the forward b at the same time, and Lucas gets a Good size jump boost. Well, guess what? ROB DOES IT TOO! Along with the jump boost, if you keep tapping B, his decent will be considerably slower for a short time, as well. I figured since R.O.B.'s arms work like a helicopter, anyway, Robocopter sounds like a good name for the R.O.B. equivalent. What do you guys think? (sorry, I don't have recording equipment, otherwise I'd gladly post it)
The recovery is good enough as it is. We don't really need a big jump like that. Edge recovery and everything works like a charm.

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
while ROB does indeed have a pseudo-"zap jump"
its effectiveness is no way near that of lucas's.

(I had tested this out prior as well when looking into Chozen's gyro idea but chucked it out as possible game-breaking method due to the following reasons...)

when you do ROB's copter (lets call it that for now...) he only gains a slight horizontal gain and a vertical gain equivalent to his own double jump (i suspected and am now sure that the mechanics of this method is a conjunction of a normal double jump and a Bspecial)

from that i can conclude that the slight horizontal gain that ROB gets after performing a copter would be from the momentum of the jump and the effects of the sideB simultaneously (as the sideB gives ROB an additional horizontal gain when in momentum)

basically its just like jumping and then double jumping while doing an aerial -no added "glitch effects" but instead with a Bspecial that changes momentum properties.

whereas if you observe Lucas and have him double jump and then have him zap jump to compare and contrast, the differences in distance are very distinct. (not only that but you can almost immediately do an aerial once he reaches peak height)

you could plausibly use this to quickly punish pika's thunder but in normal circumstances the lag from doing the sideB is not worth it

it is better to just double jump and simultaneously fair/bair if the copter warranted an aerial approach or just boost to an opponent (or even better, boost from the ground to have a surprise jump after you do an attack from the booster)

so yeah good job though on the find and thanks for sharing the info and input.

i wish this technique would enable ROB to just literally float in the air as a glitch and have a flashy but mostly useless technique to show off to friends about a deadly, something-hundred ton, metal, laser-shooting, gyro-dropping, Robot Omnipotent Buddy, copter spinning its hands in a dance of utter annihilation over the heads of non-metal victims.

but no, it just happened to be a double jump with a simultaneous sideB move :[

Sharky

Smash Master
No, it's definitely got a bit of extra vertical gain. while I'll admit it's nothing compared to lucas', it's still something. I'm also not trying to say this is gamebreaking, but it's something to add to the already awesome recovery mindgames R.O.B. has.

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
hmm *shrug*
ok

i think that vertical gain just comes from the change in floating properties of the sideB but under the condition of an extreme vertical momentum upwards (which would contribute to the second jump going higher)

but eh, i do agree though that it is something to add and that there are mindgames for everything.
ive outlined one possibility and there may be a few more, i just wouldnt be able to stand the punishable lag for the wrong mindgame DX

(oh and i wasnt accusing you of claiming a game-breaking method, i was just saying thats how i felt about it when i observed it on my own, sorry for anything misconstrued or anything that gave off that vibe, im actually a very nice person :] )

chubas

Smash Apprentice
The only real practical use I see to this is to keep off projectile spammers. Maybe it has a hidden charm, but I don't think this is more useful than Fair approaching.
Nice finding, will try it out.

Top Bottom