• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Reversal - Perfect shield into Counter on two-hit smash attacks (Option Select)

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
This technique is a way for us Mac players to land guaranteed counters on certain attacks: two-hit smash attacks.
Why two-hit smash attacks? because the first hit is weak and is easier to perfect shield and the second hit deals the most damage and knockback which is ideal for a counter.

So now heres the list of smash attacks to watch out for

:4diddy: Fsmash
:4corrin::4corrinf:Fsmash (if they charge it with the chainsaw) // dragon shot (uncharged bite) // lance pin (into dash)
:4darkpit::4pit: Fsmash
:4link::4tlink: Fsmash but be wary, they might mix it up and not do the 2nd hit.
:4lucas:Dsmash
:4shulk:Fsmash // Usmash
:4zss:Fsmash
:4sheik:Fsmash // (Usmash can work, but little mac is too short- you have to be angling your shield upwards to PS the first hit)
:4bowser:Usmash // Down B (doesn't even need to be PS- just jc Counter OoS)
:4littlemac:Ftilt (c'mon now- a fresh ftilt has gotten me so many easy revenge stocks)
:4yoshi:Down B (doesn't even need to be PS- just jc Counter OoS)
:rosalina:Dash Attack
:4kirby: Dsmash
:4bayonetta:Side B (normal / held) [doesn't even need to be PS]

The Option Select input for this is easy. Its a spot dodge OS. Shield drop > Down B > A
spot dodge into jab on whiff, but slip counter on PS. Please pay attention to the matchup and figure where and when your opponent will want to use any of the above attacks, because other OS are way more useful.

Fun fact: Before the shield stun patch, it was possible to just jc counter OoS on normal shield. But now it requires a PS

Last edited:

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
Hm, this looks accurate, but I doubt that it would work with Lucas due to, if he hits the first hit, the rest of the hits will not connect. If memory serves, that's true. So if you get hit by like the first hit of the attack, the second and third hit cannot hit you as well.

This information is useful, but I honestly doubt I will be using this in my daily Little Mac gameplan simply because it relies on you reacting fast enough to, say, Little Mac's Forward Tilt, powershielding the first hit, then having the reaction time and memory to use Slip Counter afterwards. It's merely just another bit of information that could be useful and another thing you can use, but not important in my eyes.

Others'll probably find this ultra-useful, though.

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
Hm, this looks accurate, but I doubt that it would work with Lucas due to, if he hits the first hit, the rest of the hits will not connect. If memory serves, that's true. So if you get hit by like the first hit of the attack, the second and third hit cannot hit you as well.

This information is useful, but I honestly doubt I will be using this in my daily Little Mac gameplan simply because it relies on you reacting fast enough to, say, Little Mac's Forward Tilt, powershielding the first hit, then having the reaction time and memory to use Slip Counter afterwards. It's merely just another bit of information that could be useful and another thing you can use, but not important in my eyes.

Others'll probably find this ultra-useful, though.
if you shield lucas's first hit you can get hit by the second one.

it wouldn't necessarily be by reaction/memory, because its an option select you should be covering your bases with the provided button macro (shield > release > down B > jab jab).

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
update!!!

you can do this with Bayonetta's grounded side B (with or without the bullet arts kick) and with or without a perfect shield. just shield the initial hit and you can counter the next hit

Top Bottom