• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

The Return of the Prince

Grass

Smash Lord
Grass submitted a new guide:

The Return of the Prince - A conceptual guide to the Prince of Melee.

Act 1: The History

Ah, where to begin. Since him humble beginnings of Melee, Marth has been one of the most sought after characters to use due to his versatility and range. With just a simple sword, many feats have been accomplished with Marth. SephirothKen basically paved the way for almost every Marth player in Melee. His famous Ken Combo, which people love seeing him perform, has brought players to their knees with just a few swipes. But...
Read more about this guide...

DeusHex379

Smash Rookie
NNID
kimeraphim
Terribly inaccurate and incessantly somber guide. With how fixated the writer is with all the negatives of Marth's new gameplay you'd think he was trying to convert us all into giving up entirely and choosing a different character to master. And gimping is a bad idea with Marth???..... What?! Gimping is absolutely ESSENTIAL to Marth's finishing strategy. Off stage KOing is Marth's bread-and-butter and the EASIEST method for him to level the playing field against a potential weak match-up that on solid/even ground would otherwise have a distinct advantage. Also, while we are all aware of the areas marth has been nerfed, but u neglected to mention the areas in which he has gained, yes he has lost some range, and some of his overtly ruthless combo strings but he has gained some new tools such as some very solid footsies and buffed pokes. His DB and SB specials both make for great priority options at any percentage to rack up dmg., control spacing, and even as extra KO choices. His Dtilt has become a spacing/poking juggernaut, a fairly safe option for maintaining pressure and space. His jabs are good for stalling overly aggressive types, and sets up nicely for an Uptilt. A good combo option at lower into mid dmg. is Dthrow+Uptilt+Uptilt+ReverseUptilt+Upair+FFBair+RunningAttk/(or Fair) from there if ur lucky with how ur foe D.I.'s, you might be able to continue the combo from the RunAttk. into another Upair+FFBair in the other direction, from there it all up to u, but I've used this very same combo string to humiliate players online, especially those that underestimate marth as a viable threat.

Grass

Smash Lord
Terribly inaccurate and incessantly somber guide. With how fixated the writer is with all the negatives of Marth's new gameplay you'd think he was trying to convert us all into giving up entirely and choosing a different character to master. And gimping is a bad idea with Marth???..... What?! Gimping is absolutely ESSENTIAL to Marth's finishing strategy. Off stage KOing is Marth's bread-and-butter and the EASIEST method for him to level the playing field against a potential weak match-up that on solid/even ground would otherwise have a distinct advantage. Also, while we are all aware of the areas marth has been nerfed, but u neglected to mention the areas in which he has gained, yes he has lost some range, and some of his overtly ruthless combo strings but he has gained some new tools such as some very solid footsies and buffed pokes. His DB and SB specials both make for great priority options at any percentage to rack up dmg., control spacing, and even as extra KO choices. His Dtilt has become a spacing/poking juggernaut, a fairly safe option for maintaining pressure and space. His jabs are good for stalling overly aggressive types, and sets up nicely for an Uptilt. A good combo option at lower into mid dmg. is Dthrow+Uptilt+Uptilt+ReverseUptilt+Upair+FFBair+RunningAttk/(or Fair) from there if ur lucky with how ur foe D.I.'s, you might be able to continue the combo from the RunAttk. into another Upair+FFBair in the other direction, from there it all up to u, but I've used this very same combo string to humiliate players online, especially those that underestimate marth as a viable threat.
you know for a non-marth main, you sure seem to know more than those that do.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
First off, welcome to the forum, though its kinda unfortunate that you started with this.

This was completely unnecessary. This was left behind last year without much spoken on it, but by criticizing it, you've brought it back up to the top of the list once more. We have the guide review section for which you could have expressed your thoughts, and the guy was just giving it a shot. Though it is fine that you expressed it here, I would have thought it better to leave it be or speak on the positive notes for it as well.

I will ignore your desire to humiliate other players online in for Glory, but understand that if we want the most relevant topics ontop of the forum, we need to look at the dates and comment when there is something good to be spoken on it. If all you have to say is something negative, it will only draw more attention to this compared to what you're trying to achieve here.

EDIT:
Granted, I do understand you're trying to help by explaining how some of Marth's tools work. Just not sure if this was the right way to do it.

Last edited:

Grass

Smash Lord
Also I want to note that all change log notes are on SSBWiki. And down tilt has ending lag which I don't need. The only buff he got was his attack speed. Which fails to cover many options he used to have. That is all.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
Also I want to note that all change log notes are on SSBWiki. And down tilt has ending lag which I don't need. The only buff he got was his attack speed. Which fails to cover many options he used to have. That is all.
up smash and ftilt unless they were the same in brawl.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I will use this post as a verbal warning. @ Grass Grass do not add fuel to the fire. @ D DeusHex379 everyone can have their own opinions but you need to be respectful to other members that are trying to help out. Secondly, that "combo" you mentioned is not a combo, it's a string.

If you need more information on Marth's competitive game play please utilize the Marth Competitive Resource Thread. There you will find a lot of informative links regarding Marth in Smash 4. You can also view Marth's frame data here.

Top Bottom