• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Quick-Capturing Commando - Sami for SSB4! (Celebrating V-G Day! Hope marches on!)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I thought they canned her.
I don't really know about that one, she was part of the same leak as Knuckles and Lyn (who were both shown off in an early build of the game last year).

Though again, the roster could be subject to change and few characters might be scrapped in the end. No Sami would truly be sad, but at least I can enjoy roughing up some people with Lyn and Knux.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
If Sami gets in, this would be the first time an Advance Wars character actually has a voice, I'd be awesome if for the next Advance Wars game, the characters had voices instead of just dialogue boxes, how would each character sound?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Andy - Maile Flanagan (Naruto)
Sami - Michelle Ruff (Jill Valentine, Robin)
Max - Roger Craig Smith (Chris Redfield)
Grit - Troy Baker (Joel)
Eagle - Vic Micnogna (Edward Elric)
Sturm - DC Douglas (Albert Wesker)

/thread

Dunno about Japanese voices.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
If Sami gets in, this would be the first time an Advance Wars character actually has a voice, I'd be awesome if for the next Advance Wars game, the characters had voices instead of just dialogue boxes, how would each character sound?
They might do voices in the same style as FE where they have a set of phrases alongside text boxes and important things get voice acting.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Andy - Maile Flanagan (Naruto)
Sami - Michelle Ruff (Jill Valentine, Robin)
Max - Roger Craig Smith (Chris Redfield)
Grit - Troy Baker (Joel)
Eagle - Vic Micnogna (Edward Elric)
Sturm - DC Douglas (Albert Wesker)

/thread

Dunno about Japanese voices.
Some of these I haven't heard of, here's what I was thinking of,
Blue Moon (with the exception of Grit): Since Blue Moon is based off of Russia, its only fitting that all the native Blue Moon COs (Olaf, Colin, and Sasha) speak with a Russian accent.
Orange Star is based on the U.S.A. so all those COs should have American accents, though for Hachi, what if he sounded like Professor Oak? Oak the weapons dealer. Jake would be cool and hip pretty much, and I can't think of the other ones much.
Yellow comet is based off of Japan, so its fitting that the Yellow Comet COs have a Japanese accent.
Green Earth is a bit trickier since its Europe as a whole, though Drake is probably the easiest, since he's a sailor.
Black Hole is also pretty diverse, though for Sturm, I think its fitting that he speaks with a deep menacing German accent, its fitting seeing as how sturm is German for storm.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well...Satoru Iwata...has passed away:(....I don't suppose anyone here can draw a picture of the Orange Star Army and every other army of the Wars series coming together for once, all saluting him?:crying:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I don't know if that's doable...:(
That is a lot of characters to draw. And I don't have a scanner...
I'd just use Andy, Max and Sami if I were you. They are the three well-known COs. And you have to draw 48 characters if you want to use all playable COs of the Famicom Wars series, and that would be even more if you want to draw the Battalion ones as well. Less is more after all. ;)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I don't know if that's doable...:(
That is a lot of characters to draw. And I don't have a scanner...
Yeah, that does seem like a pretty big undertaking...Sorry I mentioned it.

I'd just use Andy, Max and Sami if I were you. They are the three well-known COs. And you have to draw 48 characters if you want to use all playable COs of the Famicom Wars series, and that would be even more if you want to draw the Battalion ones as well. Less is more after all. ;)
Good idea. Andy, Sami, and Max should be just about enough. At least, I would also add Jake, Rachel, and Nell for good measure. MAYBE also add Will, Brenner, Isabella, and Lin of the 12th Battalion as well. Or am I going overboard again?:(

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Good idea. Andy, Sami, and Max should be just about enough. At least, I would also add Jake, Rachel, and Nell for good measure. MAYBE also add Will, Brenner, Isabella, and Lin of the 12th Battalion as well. Or am I going overboard again?:(
Yes, adding more than those three will make it look like it was meant more for an Advance Wars audience than a general audience, I think, because outside the AW-players there are very few people who can name any CO that's not Andy, Max or Sami.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm trying to beat the final Sturm fight in AW1.
I managed to beat Enigma with Sami, which is notoriously impossible.

But what a shame that my reward for suffering through every mission possible with Sami was here being replaced with my absolute least favorite CO in this fight (Eagle).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Reposting from another thread:

"Well, I don't have the full moveset so I'll just tell you the basics.

Sami's moveset resolves around setting bases and summoning (sprite form) infantry and tanks to help her. She can set multiple bases and upgrade them, boosting her and her troops' strength. Basically she is all about stage control.
She uses a bazooka and some CQC for her standard moveset (which this sounds similar to Snake, it's not; she actually lugs the bazooka around and uses it for melee attacks).

Her specials moves are:

- Neutral Special: Base Capture: Sami creates a base on a portion of the stage. She can set three at a time and upgrade them each twice. Each base slightly boosts Sami's attack power. These bases can be destroyed by enemies with enough damage.

- Side Special: Summon Unit: Sami creates a unit that moves slowly in front of her and fires in a straight line. The unit that comes out depends on the highest level base Sami owns. If it's level 1, she creates a Soldier. Level 2, a Mech Soldier (unit with bazooka, like Sami), Level 3, a tank. Each level is more powerful than the last.

- Up Special: T-Copter Drone: Sami creates a drone modeled after a travel copter and lets it lift her into the air. The blades on the copter do repeated damage.

- Down Special: Fog of War: Sami tosses down a grenade that creates a field of fog that obscures Sami and her troops, but not the enemy. It's area of effect and how long it lasts depends on the strength of Sami's bases.

- Final Smash: Victory March: Sami uses her CO Power to strengthen herself and her troops. Any base she creates is instantly Level 3 and invincible for the duration of the move. All her units have double firepower as well.

IMO, I think this is as close to bringing the playstyle of Advance Wars directly to Smash Bros. as possible, so I myself am proud of it."

Boost4u

Smash Cadet
KenithTheGatherer posted a pretty unique and realistic moveset for sami covering her specials. You should check it out and consider it.

As for some of the missing attacks, Nair can be Sami spins her launcher in front of her. Kinda like palutena, but it hits once. Her Bair could be a hefty swing from her launcher, but that could be getting repetitive hm...

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681

Sami's moveset resolves around setting bases and summoning (sprite form) infantry and tanks to help her. She can set multiple bases and upgrade them, boosting her and her troops' strength. Basically she is all about stage control.
She uses a bazooka and some CQC for her standard moveset (which this sounds similar to Snake, it's not; she actually lugs the bazooka around and uses it for melee attacks).

Her specials moves are:

- Neutral Special: Base Capture: Sami creates a base on a portion of the stage. She can set three at a time and upgrade them each twice. Each base slightly boosts Sami's attack power. These bases can be destroyed by enemies with enough damage.

- Side Special: Summon Unit: Sami creates a unit that moves slowly in front of her and fires in a straight line. The unit that comes out depends on the highest level base Sami owns. If it's level 1, she creates a Soldier. Level 2, a Mech Soldier (unit with bazooka, like Sami), Level 3, a tank. Each level is more powerful than the last.

- Up Special: T-Copter Drone: Sami creates a drone modeled after a travel copter and lets it lift her into the air. The blades on the copter do repeated damage.

- Down Special: Fog of War: Sami tosses down a grenade that creates a field of fog that obscures Sami and her troops, but not the enemy. It's area of effect and how long it lasts depends on the strength of Sami's bases.

- Final Smash: Victory March: Sami uses her CO Power to strengthen herself and her troops. Any base she creates is instantly Level 3 and invincible for the duration of the move. All her units have double firepower as well.

IMO, I think this is as close to bringing the playstyle of Advance Wars directly to Smash Bros. as possible, so I myself am proud of it."
Victory March should be Sami wins instantly. :awesome:
No, but joking aside, I really like this moveset. In my opinion it captures the Advance Wars-spirit as far as possible and the things she's good at in the games very well.
I actually tried coming up with a creating/summoning moveset for her myself as well, but I didn't get much further than that gimmick, her victory theme and possibilities for alternate costumes. :laugh:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
KenithTheGatherer posted a pretty unique and realistic moveset for sami covering her specials. You should check it out and consider it.

As for some of the missing attacks, Nair can be Sami spins her launcher in front of her. Kinda like palutena, but it hits once. Her Bair could be a hefty swing from her launcher, but that could be getting repetitive hm...
I already have some ideas for her normals. I can even list whose moves you could compare them to.

Jab: A simple two punch and kick combo (Everyone)
F-tilt: Sami does a kick forward and turns (Captain Falcon)
U-tilt: Sami jumps slightly while thrusting the launcher upwards (Ike)
D-tilt: Sami does a sweeping kick (Mario, Lucas)

F-smash: Sami fires the rocket launcher forward (Mii Gunner/Snake).
U-smash: Sami fires the launcher at an angle upwards (Snake, Villager)
D-smash: Sami does a sweeping kick and fires the launcher behind her; the sweep knocks enemies behind her (unique?)

N-air: she kicks forward twice (Captain Falcon)
F-air: Sami kicks forward with both legs at once (Mario b-air)
B-air: Sami thrust the launcher behind her (Shulk)
U-air: Sami slings the launcher overhead in a slow arc. (unique)
D-air: She slings her launcher downwards. Spikes. (Ike)

Throws and misc. attacks aren't worth mentioning.
Also...
tumblr_ms0xpmTjmm1sobdp8o4_250.gif

I'm glad everyone liked my moveset.
I had an inspiration...I'm very proud of it...

Boost4u

Smash Cadet
...these moves you listed and their similarities are pretty much what I had in mind (xcept Nair, Uair, and Dtilt). Really awesome KenithTheGatherer!

Maybe a more retro approach to her Dtilt is that it should be that symbol that appears on the bottom right of any units low on ammo. The hit box is the symbol.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
...these moves you listed and their similarities are pretty much what I had in mind (xcept Nair, Uair, and Dtilt). Really awesome KenithTheGatherer!

Maybe a more retro approach to her Dtilt is that it should be that symbol that appears on the bottom right of any units low on ammo. The hit box is the symbol.
Hm? I'm not sure I understand what that would look like.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'd be super hyped for Sami.

And while I've not read through the six and a half pages to know if it's been mentioned or not, [Edit: I agree] she'd be a super reasonable successor to most of Snake's moveset, maybe with some Mii Gunner-like options instead of Cipher or the land mines.

Edit: more elaboration below
Heavy end of midweight. She's thin and in shape, but carries at least a machine gun if not a rocket launcher in her artwork (rocket launcher in AW1 and 2 cover art, machine guns in her in-game sprites). Fast walk, not so fast run due to the gear, despite her infantry specialty and training.

Her stage entrance could be jumping/climbing out of a T-copter (Captain Falcon/Fox-like?). Alternately, riding in on a Bike (based on the unit from Days of Ruin despite her not appearing there. Hey, Robin can use Nosferatu as a Tactician).

For specials, I'm imagining something like this:
Neutral: Mech Bazooka
  • Mech Bazooka could be a charge-variant explosive similar to Peanut Popgun crossed with the remote missile. Could include similar backfire capability, and have the rocket fizzle out at a distance based on the charge, perhaps including a sweetspot charge time right before the backfire. Aimable +/- 45 degrees while charging, giving it edgeguard potential even against enemies recovering low.
Side: Grenade
  • Pull and throw, like a quick Link bomb that explodes after a set time. Similar to Snake's without variable throw angles or the ability to cook the grenade.
Up: Rocket Jump
  • Like Palutena's but with different properties/sweetspots. Perhaps like an explosive, but not as aimable, version of Gunner's Lunar Launch.
Down: Capturing Stomp
  • That jump infantry units use when capturing buildings and whatnot in Advance Wars? Imagine it here and working similar to Greninja's dair. Bounces off of shields dealing pretty big shield damage, but only some low damage and a weak meteor otherwise.
Final Smash: Victory March. A temporary movement speed and jump height boost that gives her armor and grab immunity, and makes Capturing Stomp deal tremendous (or OHKO levels of) damage with negligible endlag. Or, a quick dash forward that catches the enemy in either a cutscene or other similar animation involving the capture stomp.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
By mentioning the Mii gunner to replace the Cipher, I'm suddenly realising that Sami NEEDS the Rocket Jump as a recovery.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

And while I've not read through the six and a half pages to know if it's been mentioned or not, she'd be a super reasonable successor to most of Snake's moveset, maybe with some Mii Gunner-like options instead of Cipher or the land mines.
It's touched upon pretty much every time Sami comes up really.
And...I think she should be unique.

Last edited:

Boost4u

Smash Cadet
One of her victory animations could be her putting away her weapon, wiping off sweat, and say "area secured!"

Any other ideas for taunts/win animations?

Raijinken

Smash Master
One of her victory animations could be her putting away her weapon, wiping off sweat, and say "area secured!"

Any other ideas for taunts/win animations?
The salute infantry do when they capture a building!
Some sort of thumbs up pose including her smile when her side is winning a combat.
Uhhh... slinging her rifle (if she has one that isn't typically slung) like in her Dual Strike art?
Reloading/checking whatever weaponry she has?

As for her victory fanfare, the one from Dual Strike sticks out most in my head, but I feel like the AW1 CO power tune may work better remixed since it has a definite end.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Winking as one of her taunts/victory poses is mandatory.
Also, here's my ideas for Sami's victory theme, all from Advance Wars 1.
Advance Wars 1 - Mission Start:
Advance Wars 1 - Mission Complete:
Advance Wars 1 - CO Power:

Some victory pose ideas:

- Sami rolls in and then fires a shot from her bazooka while crouching.
- Sami rides in inside a tank and climbs out, and stands next to Andy, who pats the side of the tank while twirling his wrench.*
- Sami and Andy come from either side of the screen and do an EPIC high five and face the camera, doing their signature expressions.*

*I feel if Sami is chosen over Andy then having Andy be in her victory poses is a good compromise.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Winking as one of her taunts/victory poses is mandatory.
Also, here's my ideas for Sami's victory theme, all from Advance Wars 1.
Advance Wars 1 - Mission Start:
Advance Wars 1 - Mission Complete:
Advance Wars 1 - CO Power:

Some victory pose ideas:

- Sami rolls in and then fires a shot from her bazooka while crouching.
- Sami rides in inside a tank and climbs out, and stands next to Andy, who pats the side of the tank while twirling his wrench.*
- Sami and Andy come from either side of the screen and do an EPIC high five and face the camera, doing their signature expressions.*

*I feel if Sami is chosen over Andy then having Andy be in her victory poses is a good compromise.
Wouldn't be unlike having Chrom in Robin's. Could even have Max (for full non-Nell/Hachi Orange Star representation) and Eagle (for flirty rivalry) show up for something, too.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Wouldn't be unlike having Chrom in Robin's. Could even have Max (for full non-Nell/Hachi Orange Star representation)
That's a good idea. Though I kinda like just having Andy and Sami, because it puts more value in Andy being there, you know?
and Eagle (for flirty rivalry) show up for something, too.
No plz
Eagle

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

And while I've not read through the six and a half pages to know if it's been mentioned or not, [Edit: I agree] she'd be a super reasonable successor to most of Snake's moveset, maybe with some Mii Gunner-like options instead of Cipher or the land mines.

Edit: more elaboration below
Heavy end of midweight. She's thin and in shape, but carries at least a machine gun if not a rocket launcher in her artwork (rocket launcher in AW1 and 2 cover art, machine guns in her in-game sprites). Fast walk, not so fast run due to the gear, despite her infantry specialty and training.

Her stage entrance could be jumping/climbing out of a T-copter (Captain Falcon/Fox-like?). Alternately, riding in on a Bike (based on the unit from Days of Ruin despite her not appearing there. Hey, Robin can use Nosferatu as a Tactician).

For specials, I'm imagining something like this:
Neutral: Mech Bazooka
  • Mech Bazooka could be a charge-variant explosive similar to Peanut Popgun crossed with the remote missile. Could include similar backfire capability, and have the rocket fizzle out at a distance based on the charge, perhaps including a sweetspot charge time right before the backfire. Aimable +/- 45 degrees while charging, giving it edgeguard potential even against enemies recovering low.
Side: Grenade
  • Pull and throw, like a quick Link bomb that explodes after a set time. Similar to Snake's without variable throw angles or the ability to cook the grenade.
Up: Rocket Jump
  • Like Palutena's but with different properties/sweetspots. Perhaps like an explosive, but not as aimable, version of Gunner's Lunar Launch.
Down: Capturing Stomp
  • That jump infantry units use when capturing buildings and whatnot in Advance Wars? Imagine it here and working similar to Greninja's dair. Bounces off of shields dealing pretty big shield damage, but only some low damage and a weak meteor otherwise.
Final Smash: Victory March. A temporary movement speed and jump height boost that gives her armor and grab immunity, and makes Capturing Stomp deal tremendous (or OHKO levels of) damage with negligible endlag. Or, a quick dash forward that catches the enemy in either a cutscene or other similar animation involving the capture stomp.
I feel that her final smash should be Earth and sky, it starts out with the victory march, but ends with Eagle doing a lightning strike. Its kind of like Chrom in Robin's final smash. I just think it makes more sense since that tag power is one the most, if not the most, OP tag powers in Dual Strike. Plus it gives Eagle a role too.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I like my Final Smash idea...
Also, where did the boost in activity come from? I like it.
We need to get more posts than the Andy thread to show we want her more!! :D

Raijinken

Smash Master
I feel that her final smash should be Earth and sky, it starts out with the victory march, but ends with Eagle doing a lightning strike. Its kind of like Chrom in Robin's final smash. I just think it makes more sense since that tag power is one the most, if not the most, OP tag powers in Dual Strike. Plus it gives Eagle a role too.
But everyone knows you should always start a Tag Power with Eagle, otherwise you waste Lightning Strike :bee:

While I like the idea, I feel like it'd push too far into the "must be cinematic" Final Smash territory, and I personally feel like we have too many of those. Wouldn't complain if it happened, though. Eagle was my second favorite CO after Colin.

I like my Final Smash idea...
Also, where did the boost in activity come from? I like it.
We need to get more posts than the Andy thread to show we want her more!! :D
I like your Final Smash idea a lot with respect to the troop management moveset. I think mine makes more sense with respect to a more "standard" moveset. Who even knows what Sakurai'd do?

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
But everyone knows you should always start a Tag Power with Eagle, otherwise you waste Lightning Strike :bee:
But if you don't let the soldiers trample the fighters, the lightning strike won't send them far.:bee:
It could be done in reasonable time in cinematic fashion.

Raijinken

Smash Master
But if you don't let the soldiers trample the fighters, the lightning strike won't send them far.:bee:
It could be done in reasonable time in cinematic fashion.
No doubt it could be done, I just think cinematics bringing gameplay to a halt is silly. I'd take it over something super generic, but I think something buff based or single-shot/non-cinematic combo would be better from a gameplay stance.

Boost4u

Smash Cadet

Her specials moves are:

Lots of people are already theorizing customs for their DLC characters, even though no DLC characters have customs ad of now. Soo let's make customs on the moveset above me:

Custom B 1: Base Conquer - builds/upgrades base faster. Doesn't offer a power boost.

Custom B 2: Base resupply - Heals Sami 1% per 5 seconds. No power boost, and effect only works if she is within the base.

Custom Side B 1: Defensive Unit - Spawned units stay in there place and fire at any target within range. Despawns after 9 shots.

Custom Side B 2: Recon - Replaces the tank with a recon, which trades power and endurance for fire rate and mobility.

Custom Up B 1: Bomber Drone - A small bomber drone takes you up a distance, while dropping 3 bombs.

Custom Up B 2: Stealth Drone - Works like Mewtwo's warp, except there is an explosion in the middle of your initial and ending position.

Custom Down B 1: Sandstorm - Throws a grenade that makes a sandstorm field. Projectiles within the field have their duration reduced. This affects the enemy, but not Sami and her troops. AoE and duration increases with the strength of Sami's base.

Custom Down B 2: Snow of war - Throws a grenade that makes a snowy field. Enemies' moves stale twice as fast in the field. Only affects enemy, AoE and Duration depends just like her other down Bs.

This moveset has the most custom potential in its neutral B and Side B imo, what do you think?

Raijinken

Smash Master
I feel like move staling is such an odd (and global) trait that adjusting it due to a move seems out of place. Rather, I'd make the Winter Fury grenade either make a slip spot of ice (more like Stadium 2 than a banana, though I could see the trip zone being reasonable-ish if it was short-lived and slowed her troops), or slow the enemy when they're going through it (Always liked the movement-halving function more than the fuel-doubling function of Dual Strike).

I like the Sandstorm idea a lot. Great matchup pick against characters like Sheik and the like. Though, to make it a bit more in-line with moves like Gravitational Pull, what if it just outright destroyed projectiles?

Top Bottom