• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Punish Game Thread

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
CURRENT PUNISHING DISCUSSION: DREAMLAND
I thought of this sort of on the spot, but I feel our presence on Dreamland needs to be addressed. Dreamland is, no matter how much work we put in, our worst stage and rightfully so, but I think Marth can still do better than he has here in the past. Here are some goals I'd like to emphasize:
  • The current consensus is that Marth has trouble punishing on Dreamland due to its platforms. While this may be true when compared to other stages, I think there's enough improvement to be made here to make a big difference on Marth's average performance for the stage. Let's look for ways to utilize the platforms for punish setups.
  • Dreamland's size doesn't reduce Marth's ability to edgeguard, but the platform height loses Marth a reliable kill for when certain foes recover there (:foxmelee::falcomelee::sheikmelee::pikachumelee::icsmelee:, to name a few.) Currently it's standard practice to react and swat them back off stage with something like F-air, but is there something else we can come up with that we can use as a mix up or punish them harder?
  • Lower angles. A lot of Marth's ability to kill on Dreamland suffers from the stage being so big while a lot of Marth's good killing moves are diagonal or vertical. Finding some ways to send foes flying more sideways would be really helpful, particularly in the floaty matchups. I know this is sort of a weird one, but I do believe there are some ways to apply this. One idea that comes to mind is U-tilt sourspot sometimes sending at an awkward angle (Sakurai angle on aerial opponents can send lower than they may expect, especially if they're DIing away.)
When some of us start making it to finals and inevitably counter-picked to Dreamland, we'll be ready...ish.

Introduction

Hello, fellow Marth mains. It's 2016, and I think it's time for us to start aggregating as much information as we can regarding Marth's mind boggling and complex punish game. All in one thread. I'll be posting some information I've gathered from the lab myself, but I'll need the help of every contributor here to make this worthwhile. Hopefully this will drum up a much needed boost of participation in the Marth boards!

If you'd like to contribute, get in the lab, analyze Marth sets, or simply do theorycrafting below. Anything confirmed to work will be either added to the main post or simply quoted with a link to your post if you prefer. I'll be posting a guide of my own to get the thread started. Anyone interested in helping format the thread can contact me through private message.

The Mission
As a long-time Marth player, I've noticed that a big difference between our character and others is how vastly different our punish game works. Every sword swing is a large sweep with many different angles and a tipper mechanic that offers a widely varied combo game. Hardly anything is "guaranteed" with Marth, in a sense that there's very few things that will work the same way nearly every time compared to things like Fox's U-Throw -> U-air.

This results in Marth players being constantly aware of all the ways they can angle their follow-ups. I want to get as much as I can down on paper as possible. In my opinion, Marth's punish game has the potential to outclass the entire cast. Yes, even Fox and Falco. This may be strange, but one could argue that it's at least a good idea to push our punish game to its limits in the pursuit of being the best.

Despite Marth's placing on the newest tier list (3rd) I can't help but feel as if Marth is underrepresented at the uppermost level of Melee. This year, we should be hoping to change that by pushing our game as far as we ever have. As we come out of 2015, the best year of Melee yet, we enter another year with tons of resources at our fingertips. Let's get to work!

Resources
Guide to Punishing Missed Techs by @xXadevs2000Xx
F-throw Tech Chasing Spacies on Reaction
Guide by Reverie
Discussion Thread

Last edited:

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
This is great stuff. We should figure out how best to use http://ikneedata.com/calculator, because as you said there is a lot to consider when you look at punish game. Graphing the setups and where they work through the webapp could help clarify the subtle points.

I've been thinking about decisions that we have to make before we can react lately. The calculator is really helpful for exploring this too since it shows where they can wind up and how long they're in hitstun. I'll post if I find anything good.

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
This is great stuff. We should figure out how best to use http://ikneedata.com/calculator, because as you said there is a lot to consider when you look at punish game. Graphing the setups and where they work through the webapp could help clarify the subtle points.

I've been thinking about decisions that we have to make before we can react lately. The calculator is really helpful for exploring this too since it shows where they can wind up and how long they're in hitstun. I'll post if I find anything good.
I was trying to work that calculator into my guide. I'd been working on it for a few days then they released it, but I'd have to basically reformat everything, but to me I feel like the calculator won't be as useful as it could be until they add some sort of feature that let's you set your character's position and a way to display your heatmaps, which are found on the same site. That would then allow us to see which attacks were available to for follow-ups.

Hunybear

Smash Ace
What do you believe the holes are in Marths punish game. Like what's the most pressing matter to be addressed. Personally I think dispatching opponents at high percentages is one of Marths glaring weeknesses that I can only circumvent with platform tech chases and weak areal -> F-smash.

Last edited:

Mar-MarTheGreat

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheHyrulianOne

I see that most of Marth's no so used moves are kinda weak and unviable in most situations, so I've been using this trying to caculate kills at mid-high %s when using Marth's weaker moves in combos.

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure hopping up on the platform with them and grabbing beats all of that, but I'm sure there's plenty of lab work to be done to figure out what other options exist.
I just saw something relevant to the tech I talked about before. Using nair when they tech roll to the ledge (which they need to do) will have the 1st hit of nair hit them off, then the 2nd hit will connect with them in the air.

Just another mixup to add it besides uair, utilt, fsmash, etc.
Countering this tech is something I really want to optimize.

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
What is your gameplan and punish game like on platform stages vs Fox and Falco?

I've noticed myself struggling with it recently.

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
What is your gameplan and punish game like on platform stages vs Fox and Falco?

I've noticed myself struggling with it recently.
Honestly I love having spacies on platforms, but it's risky because at any time they can drop down and pop you with a b-air.

B-air in general is a move that if you work on getting hit with as little as possible, your ability in the matchup will improve greatly. Spacies love to use platforms to set up for aerials, B-air being one of the best moves in the game. You really have to focus in and when it comes time to punish them on a platform, be it a tech chase or zoning, always be wary of the B-air (And D-air if facing Falco.) Top platforms are more dangerous because you have to commit more vertically in order to secure your punish. If the player your facing doesn't seem to know how to execute much from platforms, you can be more liberal, but it's safest to test their responses first.

Proper ground game will make a player want to jump and use platforms to help them get in. Marth can punish this, he just has to be quick and have some insight on what the opponent is trying to do. Slow moves like U-tilt are risky, putting your head through the platform to line up a U-air is risky, so if you have stage control and you see them jump, zone from outside the platform with F-air. Full hop double fair (fast fall on the way down with the second) can cover a surprisingly large amount of vertical space, and if they try to push forward from the platform with an aerial you may just hit them.

Sometimes you can condition them to expect you to throw them up onto a platform. If you always throw immediately after grabbing, they may miss tech if you F-throw, rewarding you a tipper. Most players with fast reactions won't fall prey to this though, so it's important to know everything you can get from an up throw at any given percent. Falco reaches top platforms earlier than Fox does, so keep that in mind. Both can get pretty messed up after 40% even if they do land on a platform. Know how to cover all their tech options in two swings (Fallilng U-air -> U-tilt) and you should be able to catch them before they pull up a shield. If you see a shield, immediately dash toward retaking center because if you swing you're liable to get hit with an aerial from a shield drop. If you hit them successfully, look for an opportunity to take the platform while juggling so you can set up for a kill. A lot of times you can get a D-air spike after juggling them through the platform if they DI wrong. U-tilt tipper has a good amount of hitstun. Getting a spike out of U-air tipper usually requires you to land right after it, so if you full hop with U-air and land on the platform they'll either DI wrong and end up getting sent away from the top platform, or they'll try to DI and tech the top platform. The former leads to tipper/reverse Up-B/tipper while the latter will require you to extend your punish.

Extending onto the top platform from the sides can be a bit tricky. Using Battlefield as an example, you can run off and either do rising F-air or rising U-air to cover the corner nearest to you and the center of the platform. To cover the other corner, you need to run off your platform, drop a bit, then do rising F-air so it tippers in the corner and you land on the other side platform to position for a punish, or if the DI away, prepare for an edge guard. If you see them starting to push back in, retake center stage to reduce your chances of falling victim to a reversal.

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
Hello all. I'd like to try an idea I had drum up participation here a bit more.

Now that my living situation has improved I can devote more time into finishing things I started (like my Yoshi's top platform guide) and further encourage others to contribute here and on the Marth boards in general.

So, my plan is to have periodic "lab assignments," or even simply brainstorming sessions on certain topics regarding punish game. Once a week is what I'm going to be running with for now, but I think it'll work. So keep reading below if you're interested in contributing to this topic, and as always I encourage everyone to experiment and try to create content that would fit in the main post of this thread. (Guides, etc.)

4/10/2016: Week 1 - Techchasing

There's been discussion on the Marth R&D Facebook group regarding this and I'd like to bring up the discussion here. Most of what's been talked about here and there is techchasing on reaction with F-throw, but I'd like to try to open up the discussion in a more general sense. Let's figure out some ways to improve Marth's techchasing game in all matchups.

If you have any ideas that you've been sitting on for a while, post them here. Find something in the lab? Post it here. Work with low-tier matchups too, if you're bored. Some of what I'd like to figure out this week:
  • More ways to put opponents into tech situations that aren't throws.
  • Reliable ways to react to certain characters' tech options that emphasize gaining and maintaining stage control, be it center stage or control of the entire ground via juggle setups.
  • MORE TIPPERS. Techchasing with tipper F-smash or even D-smash is grossly underdeveloped. We need to put effort into this to improve Marth's ability to kill at lower percents.
Hopefully that helps get the idea juices flowing (ew). I'm excited to see what we can come up with.

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
More ways to put opponents into tech situations that aren't throws.
1. Tipper fair on spacies at lower percents
2. Utilt on fastfallers
3. Dash attack
4. Weak hit fair (especially on DI down)
5. Falling uair would set up a really nice techchase on fastfallers at low/mid percents and on semi floaties like Sheik and Marth at low percents.
6. Dair can set up platform techchases at mid percents and grounded techchases at low percents.
7. Dtilt on fastfallers sets up a techchase situations at percents where they're knocked over. You won't be able to reach DI away + tech away if they have stage though. You should just take the stage control instead.
8. Side b on fastfallers at very high percents. Second hit of side b at midhigh percents
9. The weak hitbox of usmash that just knocks them over sets up for a techchase situation nicely.
10. Dsmash tippered on spacies sets up a techchase situation at low percents.

Big Daddy Josh

Smash Apprentice
So I know this is off Fthrow, but using this approaching Nair to cover tech in place on semi floaties/floaties seems to be really good. I only really notice PPMD using it though. The one thing I do know is the timing of the nair is different against each character, and I don't believe it works on spacies nor Falcon.

https://youtu.be/00kWf6lvDhU?t=8m42s

Dr. Bread

Smash Apprentice
something i've started making use of when tech-casing is just going for a well-timed f-air to cover tech in-place and missed-techs. if you're able to touch down quickly enough you should be able punish a tech roll with the time you have remaining.

if youre not fast enough you can read what they decide to do when they're actionable, or if you dont have a read you can just set up spaced pressure or try to bait something out by dash dancing or even just walking in front of them.

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
Marth seems to tech chase best when his opponent doesn't have room to roll back. Against fox, dtilt, fsmash, nair and grab or up b are all amazing for covering tech in place for fthrow or late tipper fair. Where dtilt doesn't work, you can go for a grab or up b if it's because dtilt sour spots. If it's just outside dtilt range, fsmash works. Nair works really well when tipper fsmash works and doesn't put you in as bad a spot if you whiff.

Last edited:

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
Dear mods. Delete this for I am bad at Smashboards.

Last edited:

Signia

Smash Lord
Here's a useful reddit post about how to interpret falcon's throw followup chart: https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBM/comme...followups_on_captain_falcon_by_kadano/d0pgzex

Also we could expand a bit on Kadano's info on Sheik and Marth combos. All that's listed is info for no DI. Like in that reddit post we could focus on further interpretation of Kadano's info and how to put that strategy into practice. Given that uthrow followups are generally better when they DI away, that fthrow followups are better when they DI in, and that it's difficult to react to which one is used, it's reasonable to consider this a powerful mixup and explore what our uthrow followups are for away DI.

An example of expanding on Kadano tech, his reactive uair platform trap, where you SH before they land, and react to every option with FF or drifting uair: In reality, this setup isn't always possible or useful. It's not useful at low percents when they can just tech in place, hold down, eat the hit, and be out of the trap. It'd be nice to know when characters will be knocked down by uair (and dtilt, as we'll get into). Also, sometimes the setup isn't possible from an uthrow, they land too quickly, at what % does this occur? Lastly, sometimes you're throwing them to a low platform, but you're not right below it, you're to the side and won't be able to drift properly to cover everything. What is the optimal response?

Suggestions: Don't uthrow them to the platform at % where they can just hold down and survive or where they land too quickly to do the Kadano trap or even to do something like waveland to the platform and tech chase. Instead, do a cornered fthrow/dthrow tech chase.

When you're to a side of the platform, and they land on the side of the platform I suggest this reaction setup:
Stand still or short wavedash to the position right below the platform edge and react to the tech. If they do anything but tech away, utilt will work, except maybe if they do the weird option of teching toward you but you still might be able to just do another utilt. Utilt comes out about as fast as a grab, so this should work similar to a grounded tech chase, where you can handle tech in place on reaction.

If they tech away, react with a dash pivot Fsmash, ideally, or the easier option is to dash and do a SH aerial, though they could do that novel double-stick edge slip tech.

Oh and once we do manage to get an uair/utilt juggle, what's the best way to end the combo? Just doing aerials won't cut it with good DI, you need to get in position to end with Fsmash or up-B or quick recovering aerials that will lead to dair no matter the DI. When is a good time to FJ uair to the platform? How about what we do when they DI to the top platform? There's a lot to explore, and we could continue doing it all with our intuition, but can a consistent standard be found?

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
An example of expanding on Kadano tech, his reactive uair platform trap, where you SH before they land, and react to every option with FF or drifting uair: In reality, this setup isn't always possible or useful.
We've been experimenting with using reaction tech chasing after F-throw or D-throw for the lower percents to circumvent the platforms until higher percents. It's very effective and still underdeveloped at the moment.

Signia

Smash Lord
This is the second time you've linked this in this thread, did you think I missed it? A reply with just a link, leaving me to interpret what you mean by linking something I've already seen? Obnoxious.

If you're up against an opponent that actually uses this, then tech chase until higher percentages where this stops working and use the alternative setup I suggested that involves use of utilt and pivot fsmash.

Last edited:

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
then tech chase until higher percentages where this stops working and use the alternative setup
You do realize that I've been putting work into flowcharts and whatnot to do exactly this?
I didn't need to explain it because it explains itself, and the techchasing related stuff is linked in the guides.

Signia

Smash Lord
You do realize that I've been putting work into flowcharts and whatnot to do exactly this?
Uh, yeah, I've read the thread. How is this relevant? I mention tech chasing and you happen to be flowcharting tech chasing. Congrats?

I didn't need to explain it because it explains itself, and the techchasing related stuff is linked in the guides.
You're still leaving me guessing as to what you mean by linking that. Yeah, I read the link the first time you posted it. Yeah, it means you can beat Kadano's platform trap by teching to the side of the platform and doing this edge slip technique. But my point is to find alternatives to Kadano's platform trap already, and I mention the edge slip in my solution. What are you arguing? All you are saying by linking is that is "this tech exists." It "explains" nothing more.

and the techchasing related stuff is linked in the guides.
I'm aware of this. What do you think I mean by "you should tech chase in this situation"? Did I ask for a guide on that?

Last edited:

xXadevs2000Xx

Smash Apprentice
Uh, yeah, I've read the thread. How is this relevant?
Well, rather than argue with someone over the internet about his feelz after I just posted a link, I'm going to go do something productive with my time, maybe even work on Marth's techchase game.

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys. I'm a day late updating the thread for week 2, sorry about that.

Our techchasing discussion was decent. I'd still like to have more participation, if possible, but that will come as long as we keep working hard.

Last week's top contributer was xXadevs2000Xx xXadevs2000Xx for his Guide to Punishing Missed Techs! Thanks again for the great work! You have been awarded 20 imaginary Marth points because I have nothing of value to actually offer you.

4/18/2016: Week 2 - Dreamland

I thought of this sort of on the spot, but I feel our presence on Dreamland needs to be addressed. Dreamland is, no matter how much work we put in, our worst stage and rightfully so, but I think Marth can still do better than he has here in the past. Here are some goals I'd like to emphasize:
  • The current consensus is that Marth has trouble punishing on Dreamland due to its platforms. While this may be true when compared to other stages, I think there's enough improvement to be made here to make a big difference on Marth's average performance for the stage. Let's look for ways to utilize the platforms for punish setups.
  • Dreamland's size doesn't reduce Marth's ability to edgeguard, but the platform height loses Marth a reliable kill for when certain foes recover there (:foxmelee::falcomelee::sheikmelee::pikachumelee::icsmelee:, to name a few.) Currently it's standard practice to react and swat them back off stage with something like F-air, but is there something else we can come up with that we can use as a mix up or punish them harder?
  • Lower angles. A lot of Marth's ability to kill on Dreamland suffers from the stage being so big while a lot of Marth's good killing moves are diagonal or vertical. Finding some ways to send foes flying more sideways would be really helpful, particularly in the floaty matchups. I know this is sort of a weird one, but I do believe there are some ways to apply this. One idea that comes to mind is U-tilt sourspot sometimes sending at an awkward angle (Sakurai angle on aerial opponents can send lower than they may expect, especially if they're DIing away. An example.)
When some of us start making it to finals and inevitably counter-picked to Dreamland, we'll be ready...ish.

Last edited:

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
This may be obvious, but get some flashcards and memorize your knockdown percents for asdi. If you know when a non-tipper dtilt knocks down Sheik (93) then that's a huge plus for neutral. All of a sudden, it becomes impossible for Sheik to wave dash out of shield towards you, and your ground game gets significantly better. Knowing when weak hit of fair knocks someone down gives you a new approach and OOS option. Knowing that you can't asdi down the late hit of Puff's nair and G&W's fair until 10% completely changes the way you approach the matchup at low percent compared to high percent. Knowing your upair KO percents helps you remember that it's ok to upthrow sheik at 160.

Last edited:
Top Bottom