• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Punch Out Hang Out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
A place where Punch Out fans like myself can relax and talk about Punch Out. Whether it pertains to Smash Bros or the Punch Out series in general, it's welcome here. Talk about your favorite characters, music, games, basically anything pertaining to the Punch Out Universe and/or its involvement in Super Smash Bros.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I'm not a fan of Punch-Out!!, but since we got a playable Little Mac, we can safely assume we will have a Punch-Out!! Assist Trophy. I don't think we will get an item tough, there is nothing from the series that can be used as an item.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
So what's everyone's favorite Punch Out game and why is it Punch Out Wii? NLG did an amazing job with the game and I hope they come back to make a Wii U title.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Punch Out!! Wii is amazing. It was the first game I played from the series and so far is the one I like the most.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Punch Out Wii was just so perfect in every way. The personalities of the boxers were fleshed out fantastically, and the gameplay was so fluid and simple, but had a great hidden level of depth to it.

I'm still working on those Challenges.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Punch-Out!! Wii was great because it revived the series. Without it, I think Mac would still be on the sidelines.
It's also nice all the other characters each got a personality. Glass Joe was more of a wimp, Super Macho Man was a bigger jerk than ever before, and Aran Ryan was a complete lunatic!

I have fond memories of playing the NES version in Animal Crossing back in the day. Great Tiger was a nightmare back then.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Even if Mac wasn't on the sidelines, I certainly wouldn't have been as invested in him as I was after PO Wii. It really helps you get to know him and Doc Louis, and gave him a really badass redesign look.

Without that, we might've spent a while trying to figure out what his look would be. I'd have been horrified if it was SNES Mac. So yeah. Thanks NLG for a great game!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Obviously Punch Out Wii is my favorite game. Perhaps my favorite Wii game only next to Brawl.

My favorite character to fight against is Mr.Sandman.
My favorite moment is when cameras start flashing when Super Macho Man is about to throw his spinning punch.
My worst battle is against DK. I can only win through Decision.

I really hope NLG makes next-gen SUPER Punch Out Wii U. I know due to story purposes it wouldn't make MUCH sense for Little Mac to return, but there's always the comeback, right? Seriously, that would be my 2nd reason to buy a Wii U.

Items ideas:
-Boxing glove on a rope.
-Great Tiger's magic carpet.
-Soda Popinski's soda bottles.
-King Hippo's manhole covers. (blocks frontal attacks, but slows you down until thrown, kinda like a Bonsly that blocks attacks from the front).

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I really hope NLG makes next-gen SUPER Punch Out Wii U. I know due to story purposes it wouldn't make MUCH sense for Little Mac to return, but there's always the comeback, right? Seriously, that would be my 2nd reason to buy a Wii U.
They could make it so that the Blond SPO Mac could actually get a new name and be retconned into a separate character. (Also have a decent 3D design)

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Someone on YouTube made a re-creation of the music in Little Mac's trailer and damn, I am loving it:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Someone on YouTube made a re-creation of the music in Little Mac's trailer and damn, I am loving it:

The original. Also, the guy recreations Wily's Castle from the Mega Man trailer and the song from the first trailer.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I am incredibly sad that I sold my copy of Punch-Out Wii a while back. It was one of the few games outside of Smash that I never got tired of, no matter how many times I played it.

It's difficult to say which is my hands-down-favorite. Nostalgia tells me SPO, but given that my most recent memories resonate more with me, Wii seems to edge it out.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Punch Out Wii is the only game I could consider flawless from a game design perspective last gen.

Therefore, it is the secret best game of the gen.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Dude, you can't go wrong with Punch Out Wii. It just doesn't happen. It's the best game in the series, just because of how well it's all put together. Despite all the frustration some of the boxers gave me (looking at you, Mr. Sandman), I still go back to it regularly. It's such a great game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
They could make it so that the Blond SPO Mac could actually get a new name and be retconned into a separate character. (Also have a decent 3D design)
THIS!
I wouldn't mind this actually.
Just as long as they ditch the single-round 3KO gameplay from the original, because it just felt wrong.
I love how in the original Punch Out and the Wiimake, decision is a factor. It just feels more natural to the sport, and less "video-gamey" than if not being able to KO your opponent 3 times in a single round, you lose.

Also, I'd love a campaign to play as young Doc.Louis from before he trained Little Mac. As DLC perhaps, where you take on the boxers with ridiculous alternate costumes from back in their days. XD Giant afros, 80's rocker style, etc. There's just so many sterotypes from the past to play with.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
SPO is a great game but yeah single round makes it below PO and PO Wii imo.

Best thing about PO NES/Wii is definitely figuring out your opponent in the span of time and base your decisions on that. The precision on top makes it feel a lot like boxing instead of just a puzzle game. It's all about quick adaptation, just like boxing.

I love how Aran Ryan was the first to fight in Wii's World Circuit. His fast movement and unpredictable nature was a wake up call that it's not just about dodging and countering, and if you still play that way you'll get wrecked throughout.He's supposed to show the player that you HAVE to figure out the best possible way to tackle your opponent instead of just being on the defensive. It's genius game design.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Vodka Drunkinski Soda Popinski. I like the stereotype though lol.

I wouldn't call them racist, more like exaggerated stereotyping. Living in Ireland, I thought they nailed Aran Ryan big. I'm not offended by Wii's Ryan, in fact I love him a lot lol. Way better than boring Ryan from SPO.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I haven't played any Punch-Out games, but I've seen them, and they seem fun, so I might get Punch-Out Wii.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I wouldn't call them racist, more like exaggerated stereotyping. Living in Ireland, I thought they nailed Aran Ryan big. I'm not offended by Wii's Ryan, in fact I love him a lot lol. Way better than boring Ryan from SPO.
All of this but with Don Flamenco in my case. Understanding all of his lines just made it better.

I think the worst offender was Bear Hugger, but then again it was intentional considering NLG is based in Canada.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I loved the attention to detail in Punch Out Wii! It was just an all-around solid title!

I've been thinking about getting the original on the Wii U eShop. How good is that one?

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I loved the attention to detail in Punch Out Wii! It was just an all-around solid title!

I've been thinking about getting the original on the Wii U eShop. How good is that one?
It's really good. My favorite NES title and one that holds up very well today.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I started with the NES one when i got into the series and worked my way up.

Needless to say, i got my *** kicked a lot.

Also, Punch-Out NES and Super Punch-Out are on the Virtual Console.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ FinalStarmen FinalStarmen
I started out with Punch Out NES, and it is still my favorite to this day. Get it on the Virtual Console, it's a timeless classic. Be prepared to invest many hours into it, figuring out each fighter's patterns and strategy. It's addicting, and it's one of those games you always find yourself coming back to when you have nothing to do.
Then make your way over to Punch Out Wii. I've actually never played Super Punch Out, I probably should some time.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Has anyone here played the original arcade games? My local Pizza Hut had a cabinet when I was a kid, but I could never figure it out back then. I had no idea you couldn't win just by wailing on your opponent.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Has anyone here played the original arcade games? My local Pizza Hut had a cabinet when I was a kid, but I could never figure it out back then. I had no idea you couldn't win just by wailing on your opponent.
I think I might have come accross them as a kid, but I wasn't interested back then. Too busy drooling all over the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Simpsons arcades instead. XD

I DO remember coming accross Arm Wrestling however, I kinda wanted to try it out... but I didn't dare.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Best Punch Out game? I'm going with the NES Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!! and here's why.

1. Character where more interesting. In the Wii version everyone spoke in their native language and though that's interesting I felt unattached to them since I couldn't understand most of them. You don't get the catch phrases like "I'll give you a TKO from Tokyo" or "Its steel in the heart, steel in the arm, and steel in the head".The only one you couldn't understand in the NES game was King Hippo. They also made some characters that were actually cool in the NES game to be goofy. Von Kaiser is an example. He was a German military boxing teacher past his prime and suffering some brain injury but in the Wii they made him a children boxing teacher who goes Coo Koo a lot.

2. Subtle complexity of the game. There are so many subtle tips and tricks in the NES Punch Out that some are still being discovered even today. Tricks like the gutter punch or stopping Soda's uppercut by bringing your guard gives the game more dynamics and a sense of exploration. Just a couple of years ago they found that when Bald Bull charges a camera will flash in the background at the right time when you're suppose to punch. It took over 20 years for people to find that.

3. Mike Tyson. I mean love him or hate him something is pretty epic about going toe to toe with him. He's still consider one of the toughest bosses in video game history and its a badge of honor when you say "I've beaten Mike Tyson". Another real interesting fact is how much details they put in to Mike's fighting style. Just watch this video.

Now I'm not saying the other Punch Out games are bad by any means. They are still very phenomenal games but this is why I like the Mike Tyson game over the others.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I really really hope Next Level Games is contacted to make a remake of SUPER Punch Out!

Wouldn't mind if the blonde boxer is back, but this time it'd be smart of them to give him a NAME.
It would be awesome if Doc Louis also trains him.
(But a hidden boss battle, and/or a multiplayer mode lets player 2 control Little Mac)

Mechanics:
-Exactly like Punch Out Wii, but this time, you can block attacks to the head, and body blows.
-3-round mechanic, each set for 3 minutes.
-Healing in between Knock downs is possible. Healing between rounds as well.
-Power bar just like in the Snes title, and to set it apart from Little Mac's Star Punch system.

Roster:
MINOR CIRCUIT
-Gabby Jay (because Glass Joe, his teacher, was basically crippled in the last title)
-Piston Hurricane
-Pizza Pasta (remade, such as Kid Quick was remade into Disco Kid)
-Bald Bull (he's like a staple to the series)

MAJOR CIRCUIT
-Bob Charlie
-Dragon Chan
-Mad Clown
-Super Macho Man (again, staple to the franchise)

WORLD CIRCUIT
-Narcis Prince
-Masked Muscle
-Heike Kagero
-Mr.Sandman

FINAL CIRCUIT
-Hoy Quarlow
-Rick Bruiser
-Nick Bruiser
-Mr.Dream (The new champion)

SPECIAL CIRCUIT (Fighters from Arm Wrestling: Unlocked when you beat all 4 campaigns without losing once)
-Kabuki
-Ape III (w/Alice)
-Frank Jr.
-Texas Mac

GUEST STAR (Unlocked when you beat Title Defense Mode)
-King K.Rool
(or Captain Falcon)

Final extra unlockables: Arcade Punch Out, Arcade Super Punch Out, and Arm Wrestling when you 100% the game.

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I think it would be a cool idea to see the SNES punch out character rise through the ranks. But when he gets to the final champion he has to fight (dun dun dun Daaaah!) Little Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom