• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The PS3: Worth a purchase now or still waiting for a hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperfan

Smash Apprentice
While most people have written off the PlayStation3 over the course of its first full year. And it's not hard to see why. Between lackluster showings and borderline insults to the general gaming community*, everyone decide "**** you Sony, I'm going Xbox Wii60," I did. Hell, at launch, there were, lack of 'killer apps' AT BEST. Gundam sucked, you got a zillion Xbox 360 ports (that, for God knows what reason, suffer for frame-rate issues and gameplay chugs), okay Resistance was good, but in a sea of crap, a diamond in the middle of it isn't going to make you dive in. And thats how it was for a long time. Fast forward to now, we've got a price drop ($400 down from $500 starting price at launch), great freebies (Spider-Man 3 on Blu-Ray and the adequate Motorstorm on the 40 and 80 gig respectively), and (wait for it) GREAT ****ING GAMES! Where once, was just Resistance, you now have Uncharted, Unreal Tournament 3 (not on the 360 for another few months), Ninja Gaiden (what's just one more time?), Warhawk and Ratchet & Clank. Not to mention the upcoming awesomeness that is God of War 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Final Fantasy XIII. Where once bogged down by a sea of ports and bad publicity, the PS3 really turned it on. But that's my opinion, I'm interested to see what you think.

*Back in 2006 at E3 during a Q&A, Sony Big Job Position Kaz Hirai, when asked about the steep price for the PS3, he compared it to 'dining at a high-class restaurant'.

When the PS3 wasn't selling, Sony CEO (or something) Jack Tretton (or Trenton IDK) had set up a challenge stating he would give $1200 to anyone who could find a PS3 on store shelves. He owes me $14,400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom