• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The problem with being customized

nessokman

Smash Lord
So, we know there will be SOME customizability. But to what degree? I worry dearly that sakurai will take it too far. This won't affect the competitive scene, as we can just use basic characters, what I worry about is online.

The basis for my worries lies in Sakurai's last project, Kid Icarus:Uprising. In it he gave the player too much customizability, and as a result you get people with K.O. That weapon having 6 star range. Add on shot homing and range... See where I'm going?

Imagine if you win power-ups from winning. Things such as Side Smash+4, Speed +4, defense +4. That wouldn't just break the game, it would body slam it, pour gasoline on it,and throw a torch on it.You'd get people online spamming one hit kill smashes, or people zipping around the stage;impossible to catch.

Online for Uprising was not at all bad, just unfair. He wont ban customized things online either, he didn't for uprising.If sakurai handles the customization, online Smash 4 is in big trouble

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
I say we do it Soul Calibur style where you can pick standard battle and special battle. Standard with no customization to the characters and special with the customizing. Plain and simple.

Or if those modes don't exist, if you want to play a standard battle, just make sure your friends have the same setup.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I won't know what the customization will be, but I know that with the many teams helping to make it, I doubt it will do anything drastic. What I thought was that customization would be where you get to choose how your character will be (attack, defense, speed, etc.), and thought that that would be a wonderful idea. But then I realized people would use OP characters by raising attack and speed. Try beating a Sonic with that type of ability (if the player could control him at max speed). Or they could raise the defense and knockback resistance (defense meaning the percentage they get when hit and knock back resistance meaning how far they fly). Think of how unstoppable Bowser could be with that.

AAnnyywwaayyss, my next guess was that characters just level up and get powerful each level. But then I read that if people did that, it would lose its instant play feeling (something along those lines). If I remember correctly, the customization is the direction of the attack (said by Sakurai I am guessing). So my guess is that you can choose the direction of what special attack you do when you press B (more detail in the next paragraph).

So lets see, hmm, how should I explain it? Okay, got it. You see, Fox's special moves are Neutral which shoots a (spammable) laser. Side B makes him move at a really fast speed (I never played star fox, so Idk what it is called). Up B gives him some fire attack, and he can move in any direction you choose. His down special is a reflector. So, lets say you rather have his down special as his neutral special (sounds reasonable), then you move his down B to regular B, and switch reg B to down B. That is my theory of what it will be. Maybe someone else posted the same thing while I was typing a monologue, so yeah, whatever. :059:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
For me, I hope it's kinda like back in the day with Mario tennis, you get a character of some sort that can level or be interesting, and can transfer them over to the Wii U for playing if you want. Maybe it's going to be a Mii or something along those lines, who knows?

But in the end, it more then likely will not be legal to customize in tournaments, so I'm not worried too much.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
First thing is first, Sakurai outright stated customization won't affect speed, power, etc. So that there is nothing we need to worry about. What it sounds like to me is some varrying degree of different animations. That in and of itself could be tough to face if someone is using a move that acts as a standard special but looks just different enough to confuse an opponent that is not familiar with that animation.

Either way, if we have special and normal modes like stated above we should be fine.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I kind of think of playing as are Mii's which sounds like a good idea to me but meh .3.

golcarjack

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0130-2499-6727
As long as there is a mode without it online. That way it's not a problem, and we then can choose just not to use it offline.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I don't really think that Kid Icarus: Uprising had a bad customization. Sure, I understand the Claw-Trolls online, but I just use another POWERFUL weapon to counter it. Maybe if the online ranks your custom characters with others of the same rating...? Like the KI:U system but with a match-up system...

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I am definitely gonna take advantage of customization and OP every character. It will be fun transfering it to the Wii U and killing everybody making it not fun for them, but amazingly epic for me! I mean, um, I hope it isn't too bad?

Top Bottom